Clare County Library
Clare Archaeology
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Archaeology of the Burren: Prehistoric Forts and Dolmens in North Clare by Thomas Johnson Westropp

Part II: Kilcorney and the Eastern Valleys

Eanty Valley

Eanty Valley (O.S. 9, No. 4)
From the ridge of Poulcaragharush, we look over a square valley. To our left lies the large fort of Caherconnell, to our right that of Cahergrillaun, and, far away to the north, shines the white cromlech of Cragballyconoal. The valley, with its north-eastern slopes, is mainly occupied by the four townlands of Eanty, Eantymore, Eantybeg North, and Eantybeg South, the Eanaghbeg of 1380. They seem, from the name, to have been the site of some important fair in early times, and retained the older name, ‘Enogh,’ even in the Books of Petty’s Survey, 1655, in which we find [13] ‘Enogh’ as containing a number of sub-denominations. Among these we find the fort names Lissananamagh, Moher O’Loughlin, Drumliseenysiyack (Drum Liseeniska), and Lisnagleyragh, one of the other divisions being Enoghbane.

A precipitous gorge cuts into the northern hill; at its mouth is a small lake, while two forts stand one on either side. That to the west (1) is called from the pool Caher-lisaniska; that on the eastern bluff (2) is called from some haunting spirit Caherlisananima.

Gateway of Lisananima
Gateway of Lisananima

Neither calls for much notice; they are small and oval, about 87 by 50 feet, the western being much gapped. A larger stone enclosure (3), diamond-shaped in plan, and (4) a small oval fort, both greatly gapped, lie near the Carran road in Eantymore. Two more (5 and 6), one a fairly square fort, 110 feet across, the other oval, and both nearly levelled lie east of the bohereen from Moheramoylan. Near these forts, in Eantybeg North, is a slight little ring-wall (7), called, like its neighbour, Lisananima. Its walls are only 5 feet high and thick, of thin slabs and poorly built. The gateway is perfect, and faces S.E., being 5 feet 6 inches high, with inclined jambs, and from 3 feet 10 inches to 3 feet 6 inches wide; the lintel measures 6 feet 9 inches by 2 feet. The neighbouring farmers deny that any ‘spirit’ has ever been seen in it; so its name was possibly transferred from the lower fort.

 

Previous

Main

Next