|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|Archaeology of the Burren: Prehistoric Forts and Dolmens in North Clare by Thomas Johnson Westropp|
III: Northern Burren: Glenarraga or Ballyvaughan Valley:
Glenarraga or Ballyvaughan Valley (O.S. 2 and 5)
The sea at this point has evidently made considerable inroads on the shore, whose foundations in the form of low reefs render all approach to the pier difficult and risky:-
As we have pointed out before, the Irish disposition, with its keen sense of the beauty of nature (far in advance of the taste of other mediæval nations), and its melancholy undercurrent of romantic feeling, frequently selected sites for forts more noteworthy for the view than for either convenience or strength.
Ballyvaughan derives its name from the family of O’Beachain, and is named, with the neighbouring lands of Ballyconry, Dangan, and Feenagh, in the O’Brien’s rental, circa 1380. It finally passed to the O’Briens in about 1540, in consequence of a disturbance which arose out of a small cattle robbery. This is recorded at full length in a deed published by Hardiman, and gives an interesting picture of the lawlessness and the insecurity of life and property under the rule of Morogh the Thanist. The aggrieved persons set up crosses of interdiction, and got heavy fines of cattle, sheep and goats, eighteen litters of swine, a woman’s gown, a shirt and a barread; but the place, after all, was adjudged to O’Brien in the end.
Caherloughlin (O.S. 2), a large caher on the ridge near the sea, to the north of the venerable ivied church of Dromcreehy, has, since 1839, been divided into several fields, and in consequence is defaced and nearly levelled. It may, perhaps, have been named from Lochlain, chief of the Corcomroes, who died A.D. 983.
Cahermore-Ballyconry  (O.S.
A cromlech lay in the fields to the south of Ballyvaughan; it is said to have been a small cist of four slabs and a cover; it has been removed since 1839. The adjoining seven forts are dilapidated and of no great size, except Lisanard rath, which is about 170 feet long; of the seventh caher only the souterrain and the foundations of the south-east segment remain.