|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|A Survey of Monuments of Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare by William Gerrard Ryan|
Part 2: Chapter 7: Drumline Parish: Firgrove Townland
Description of site:
Field examination found that it had been levelled. As the site is only represented on the 1842 sheet this would suggest that it was destroyed in the second half of the nineteenth century. However as the site was of a terraced nature field observation was able to give us some information.
The ground slopes here from east to west. In the east the site’s interior and surrounding field surface are similar. In fact with the single earthen bank gone it was difficult in the extreme west to find the actual point where the interior began. Nevertheless a close examination of the area did suggest a point. In the west however one finds a difference in levels. This averages between ¾ - 1 metre.
This site was probably of the single banked type. No trace of this bank now survives over most of the fort. The possible exception is an area to the north where there is a slight rise at the point where interior and field level meet. Slight is the correct word as it only averages 12 cm in height.
Due to the levelled nature of the ringfort there was no information available as to the position of the original entrance. However due to the sloping nature of the ground it possibly was to the east.
The site was of a circular shape and fairly large in comparison to some of the ringforts in the area. Field measurement found that north-south and east-west axis centred on 38 metres each. Though occurring in a large field the site of this former ringfort is still partly defined by the presence of seven trees.