|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|A Survey of Monuments of Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare by William Gerrard Ryan|
Part 3: Pre-reformation
church and monastic sites
Nat. Grid. Ref: R422647; ½” Sheet 17
For information relating to this site refer to: (a) site plan (b) site description (c) series of photographs on the site.
Plan of Drumline Church:
There was formerly a window in the east wall but, as the site plan shows, only a 1.50 metre gap exists here now with no trace of a window. Averaging .75 metres in width this eastern wall now survives to a length of 6.50 metres and an average height of 2.50 metres. This wall as it survives is ivy covered (photo 2).
The northern wall survives in two short sections, the main one being to the west. This section is almost 5 metres long, .70 metres wide and 2.0 metres high and again ivy covered (photo 3).
As the site plan shows it contains a small niche, .45 metres wide .60 metres high and .36 metres deep. As this space contains, in its composition, some concrete facing and metal it must be of a “modern” date.
The top part of the northern wall contains some concrete facing with rectangular hollows (photo 3). These possibly contained stations of the cross.
Date of Church:
REFERENCES TO DRUMLINE CHURCH
Ordnance Survey Letters (1839), Volume 2, 1928 edition, pages 140 & 141 (O’Donovan). In this there is a brief reference to the now levelled south wall: “…the south wall is also destroyed except a fragment of six feet in length and about twelve feet in height attached to the east gable…”