|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|A Survey of Monuments of Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare by William Gerrard Ryan|
Part 3: Pre-reformation
church and monastic sites
Kilmaleery Church; Kilmaleery Holy Well
Nat. Grid. Ref: R373655; ½” Sheet 17
For information relating to this site refer to: (a) site plan (b) site description (c) series of photographs on the site.
Plan of Kilmaleery Church:
The northern wall, along its 11.50 metre length, averages 1.50 metres in height. However due to a very heavy covering of ivy and bushes it was impossible to note any features along this wall (photo 1).
Likewise for the southern wall. Admittedly the lower traces of this are visible in parts but generally speaking the wall is heavily covered by ivy (photo 1). A doorway along this wall leads into what was a smaller room. This entrance area, which contains red brick in its composition, is 2.0 metres high by 1.15 metres wide (photo 2). A small 2.0 metre stretch of wall occurs inside the entrance, the only surviving trace of the room (site plan). This contains a now partly ivy covered square window, .90 metre wide and high by .60 metre deep.
Graves and a few tombs occur both within and around this site. Some of these burials date to the past decade, showing the site is still used as a graveyard.
Date of Church:
REFERENCES TO KILMALEERY CHURCH:
Other Site of Religious Interest:
Kilmaleery Holy Well.
Concerning this site O’Donovan wrote in 1839: “…now much frequented on Saturdays…”
(O.S. Letters, 1839, page 142).