Clare County Library
Clare Archaeology
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

A Survey of Monuments of Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare by William Gerrard Ryan
 

Part 4: Castles and tower houses c.1500
Chapter 43: Kilnasoolagh Parish

DROMOLAND CASTLE (TOWER HOUSE?) (Site of)

Nat. Grid Ref. R391690; ½” Sheet 17

R.C. Parish : Newmarket-on-Fergus
Townland : Dromoland
6” O.S. Sheet number : 42 (Co. Clare)
Reference : 7.3 cm South; 34.3 cm West
Height (G.L.) : 100’ O.D.
1” O.S. Sheet number : 133 (Sixmilebridge)

No trace now remains of the original Dromoland Castle which in all probability was a Tower House. Field examination noted its site – a natural outcrop of rock on land that slopes from south-west to north-east. The site was built on this outcrop which is at the same level as the land to the west of it. Not so to the north-east where the terrain falls away quite markedly. In fact at a distance of only 10 metres north-east of the outcrop the surrounding land is over 3 metres lower. This drop in slope continues the more one moves from this outcrop.

Originally the site would have had a view over a wide undulating area.

Though a “castle” (tower house?) certainly existed here there is no information available as to its original builder, date of construction, ownership in 1580 (College List) or when it was finally levelled.

 

Previous

Main

Next