Clare County Library
Clare Archaeology
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

A Survey of Monuments of Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare by William Gerrard Ryan
 

Part 4: Castles and tower houses c.1500
Chapter 45: Tomfinlough Parish

CASTLE DERMOT (TOWER HOUSE?) (Site of)

Nat. Grid Ref. R435700; ½” Sheet 17

R.C. Parish : Newmarket-on-Fergus
Townland : Granaghan More
6” O.S. Sheet number : 42 (Co. Clare)
Reference : 11.8 cm South; 16.0 cm East
Height (G.L.) : 100’ O.D.
1” O.S. Sheet number : 143 (Limerick)

CASTLE DERMOT

As the above reference shows this site was built on a small island towards the centre of Fin Lough.

Locals who fish this lake and have landed on the island say no trace of a castle exists now. Some cut-stone, presumably connected with such a feature, has been used in the erection of small shelters for fishermen and duck hunters.

Otherwise there is no information available on the site, particularly in relation to its date of erection or occupier in the 1580 A.D. period.

REFERENCE

Westropp, 1899, page 363 (Makes reference to former existence of the site only).
 

Previous

Main

Next