|Clare County Library||
Home | Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Places | Archaeology | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | Visitors' Book | Contact Us | What's New
|Pigot's Directory, 1824|
Part 2: Killaloe: Description
Killaloe, in the county of Clare, distant 86 miles and a half from Dublin Castle, is situated on the western bank of the river Shannon, over which there is a bridge consisting of nineteen arches, but in so dilapidated a condition as to be impassable, though it is in contemplation to have it repaired. This is a very ancient town, but quite destitute of trade. The cathedral is a venerable structure, large and simple, but contains few monuments. Killaloe was erected into an episcopal see in the fifth century. In the twelfth century it was incorporated with the ancient bishopric of Roscrea. The navigation of the river is here interrupted by a ledge of rocks, to obviate which difficulty a canal has been cut which opens an inland water communication between Limerick and Dublin. Fairs are held on the 20th of April, the 8th of June, and the 3rd of September.
POST OFFICE - Post Master, Mr. Thomas Kelly. The mail from Dublin arrives every morning at twenty-five minutes past ten, and is despatched every afternoon at three. The mail from Limerick arrives every evening at a quarter past five, and leaves every morning at eight.