|Clare County Library||
|Donated Material: Biographies|
JONES, James P. Born 1860, Clinton Co. Iowa. Crawford Co. Iowa,
Source: Meyers, F.W. History of Crawford County, Iowa. 2 vols. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1911.
A self-made man who started upon his business career without a dollar and has won his way to fortune, James P. Jones, of Denison, is justly held in high regard by all who know him. He was born in Clinton county, Iowa, May 15, 1860, a son of John and Honora (Carlon) Jones, both of whom were natives of County Clare, Ireland, when they were married. The father was reared a farmer and learned the stone-mason's trade in Ireland. He came to America early in the '50s and after stopping for a while in New York state took up his residence in La Salle county, Illinois, working at stone-masonry and housebuilding. He was employed on the first bridge built across the Mississippi river at Davenport and lived on the island and in Rock Island. He subsequently bought a farm in Clinton county, which he cultivated to good advantage. He died in the northern part of Iowa in 1891, at the age of eighty years. Mrs. Jones, who was born at Mount Shannon, Ireland, in 1823, came to Crawford county in 1879 after her husband's death and lived on a farm in Washington township with her children. She died Sunday, January 8, 1905, at the age of eighty-two years, and was in many respects a remarkable woman. She and her husband were earnest members of the Catholic church.
The paternal grandfather of our subject, Rogers Jones, was a farmer and spent his entire life in Ireland. Among his children were William, Rogers, James, John, Maria and others. The maternal grandfather was also a farmer of Ireland. Of his children Honora, Julia and Kate came to America. Honora is the mother of our subject and Julia, now deceased, formerly lived in Denison. Patrick, one of his sons, died in Ireland. There were ten children in the family of John and Honora Jones, three of whom are now living, namely: Julia, a resident of Denison; James P., the subject of this review; and John H., also of Denison.
James P. Jones was reared on the old homestead in Clinton county and received his early education in the district schools. He was graduated from the Davenport Business College and subsequently came to Denison and started in the live-stock and real-estate business, with which he has ever since been connected. Being a man of energy and good judgment, he has been highly successful in his affairs. He is the owner of six hundred and forty acres in Crawford county and about three sections of land in Sanborn, Spink, Faulk and Porter counties, South Dakota. On coming to Crawford county, he gathered corn at fifty cents a day and chopped wood for seventy-five cents a cord, working industriously at any honorable employment that he could find. By undaunted perseverance he overcame every obstacle and is now financially independent.
On the 18th of June, 1892, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Isabel C. Blakely, a daughter of David D. Blakely. She was born in New York, her parents being natives of Ireland. Her father came from County Antrim, near Belfast, and her mother from County Galway. They were early settlers of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, her father being identified with a packing house in that city, where he and his wife are still living. They were the parents of ten children, six of whom survive, namely: Kate, David, John, Isabel C., Elizabeth and Grace. Mrs. Jones grew to womanhood in Cedar Rapids and received a fine education, being a graduate of a convent and the Conservatory of Music at Cedar Rapids. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones: David B., who died in infancy; William B.; and James D.
Mr. Jones and his estimable wife were reared in the Catholic faith and are sincere followers of the church. They have resided in Denison many years, and their pleasant home is a favorite gathering place for friends who are always assured of a cordial greeting. Mr. Jones gives his support politically to the republican party. He has served in various township offices but has never aspired to larger political honors as his interest has been concentrated upon his family and his business.
J.H. Jones, of Denison, was born in Clinton county, Iowa, June 30, 1862, his parents being John and Honora (Carlon) Jones, both natives of County Clare, Ireland. The father was reared on a farm and after reaching manhood followed the stone-mason's trade, working for a short time in England. On coming to America in the latter part of the '40s he lived for a short time in Havana, New York, where he was engaged in building railroads and canals, and from there removed with his family to La Salle, Illinois, there securing a contract for the stone work of the Illinois Central Railroad bridge crossing the Illinois river at that place. His work on this bridge still exists. After living for a few years at LaSalle the family removed to Rock Island, where he followed his trade of stone-mason and in the latter part of the '50s took up his residence in Clinton county, Iowa. He located on a farm a few miles south of Wheatland, where the subject of this sketch was born. The father died in 1891, when over eighty-three years. They were both members of the Catholic church. The paternal grandparents of our subject were Roady and Mary (Gavin) Jones, in whose family were eight children as follows: John, James, Roady, Margaret, Johanna, Kate and Mary Ann, all of whom lived to a ripe old age. The grandparents on the maternal side were Patrick and Julia (Dooley) Carlon. They had nine children. James died at an early age, while Margaret, Jane, Honora, Julia, Bridget, Kate, Ann and Patrick have lived to advanced ages. Unto John and Honora (Carlon) Jones ten children were born, five of whom reached maturity, namely: Julia, J.P., and J.H., now living in Denison; William, who died April 5, 1872; and Mrs. Mary Ann (Jones) Connor, who died February 15, 1896. She had six children, those now living being Maud, May, Clara and Marie.
J.H. Jones grew to manhood under the parental roof and received his education in the district schools of Clinton county. On the 4th of March, 1879, the family removed to Crawford county, settling on a farm southwest of Denison. After reaching manhood he, together with his brother, J.P., purchased a farm, which they operated for several years, but he finally sold his interest to his brother and bought a place elsewhere, cultivating it until 1893, when he took up his abode in Denison. Since then he has operated chiefly in real estate, contracting, building and architectural work, assisting materially in the growth of the city. He is recognized as a public-spirited and progressive citizen, ever willing to give his support to any enterprise that he believes will advance the public welfare.
On the 20th of May, 1908, Mr. Jones was married to Miss Bertha McAndrews, a native of Crawford county, who received her early education in the public schools at Vail, but was graduated from the parochial school at that place in 1893 and later entered college at Denison in order to fit herself for a teacher. She successfully followed that profession in the schools of Iowa and South Dakota for a number of years. She is a daughter of James and Lizzie (Molseed) McAndrews. Her father was born in Indiana but removed to Clinton county in September, 1865. They settled on a farm in West Side township, when their nearest neighbor on the east was eighty miles away. They were, therefore, pioneers of this county. Mrs. McAndrews was born in Clinton county and with her parents came to Crawford county in June, 1873. She was married to James McAndrews, December 25, 1876,and to them six daughters were born, namely: Bertha, Emily, Lillie, Clara, Jennie and Pearl.
Mr. Jones has been successful in his business affairs and by his genial manner and kindly disposition has made many friends in Denison and Crawford county. He and his wife are sincere believers in the Christian religion and are members of the Catholic church. He is identified with the Knights of Columbus and the Woodmen of the World. Politically ever since arriving at manhood he has given his adherence to the democratic party but is very liberal in his views and although he has never sought public office he served as a member of he city council of Denison from 1904 to 1908.
Iowa Emigrant Biographies