for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland
Clare County Library
Library Catalogue | Foto:
Clare Photo Collection | Search
this Website | Copyright
1896, Vol. III (2).
Church of Coad.
The two oldest graves in Coad are the Power and O’Brien graves. The latter was erected to the two daughters of Conor O’Brien of Leimaneagh, and his wife Maurian Roe. (See inscription, below.) The Power tombstone was erected to the memory of Ellinor Creagh, who died 22nd April 1673, daughter of John Creagh Fitzwilliam, Alderman of Limerick, and wife of Dominick Power of Corofin. He was the first of this family who settled at Corofin. Both these graves are immediately under the east window, inside the church, and side by side.
Outside church, under south wall, to right hand as you enter church door:—
“This Flag was Erect | ed by GEORGE CASEY | senr. for him and
| Posterity |
East of preceding is a rough flag, the name “IOHN OHAWE” on top, at left-hand corner.
The Church of Coad is 52 feet 6 inches long inside, and 22 feet wide; the walls are 3 feet in thickness. There is a doorway 3 feet 9 inches wide, in the S. wall, and one window with an internal splay of 4 feet 1 inch. The east window has (a double light) is 5 feet 2 inches wide. The height of the walls is not given.—[ED.]
Inscriptions on Tombs in Old Church and Churchyard of Coad:
“HERE . LYES . THE | BODIES . OF . MARY . AND | SLANV . NY . BRIEN . DAUGH | TERS . TO . CONNOR . O BRIEN . | AND . MARY . BRIEN . ALIAS . | MAHON . OF . LEMINEAGH . | ANNO . DOMINI . | 1651.”
Mary, wife of Conor O’Brien, is the amazonian “Maureen
Rhue,” equally notorious in tradition and the depositions of the
plundered English settlers; her portrait remains at Ennistymon, in possession
of H. V. Macnamara, Esq.
Immediately north of preceding tomb:—
“HERE LEYTH THE BODY OF | ELLINOR CREAGH, WEIFE TO | DOMINICK POVER WHO DE | PARTED THIS LIFE ON THE 15TH | OF DECEMBER 1673. HIS SON EDWARD | POVER WHO DE | PARTED APRIL 22 1682.”
The above Dominick Power got, by deed dated 23rd of May, 1684 (a copy of which is still extant), the right to erect this tomb from Moragh, 1st Earl of Inchiquin.
In a small enclosure outside the east window lies a tablet—Arms, a horse; Crest, a hand and arm vambraced and holding a spear:—
“THOMAS MACCOLMAN | de Cahir Morugane | Hane eapellam sibi, et | suis | posteriis fieri fecit | Anno Domini 1735.”
Another slab, inside the church, has a plain Latin cross, the three arms ending in rings.
Outside the church, under south wall, in raised Roman letters:—
“This stone was | made for Tige | Connellan. Lyeth | under Dermott | Connellan that | Dyed the 22 of | January 1711.”
Outside church, south of preceding:—
“This last tribute of affection | has been consecrated by | John Howley to the | memory of his beloved | child who departed this | life the 22nd September | 1828 aged 2y. & 6 months.”
Outside church, south of preceding:—
“Pray for the soul of | Andrew Houlley | who died in March | 1786 aged 84 years.”
Outside church, west of south door:—
“Erected by JAMES FLYN in memory of his father PATK. FLYN who died APRIL ye 30th 1786, aged 55 years.”
Outside south wall of church, east of door:—
“Erected by DARBY CARKILL in memory of his son who died March 1785.”
Outside west gable of church:—
“This Flag was erected | by PATK. FITZGERALD | in memory of his
wife | MARY FITZGERALD | als. DAVOREN who | Deped. this life August.
| 28th 1802 aged 48 | yrs.
West of preceding:—
“Erected | by Mr. PATRICK SPELLISSY in | affectionate memory of his | mother Mrs. MARY SPELLISSY alias | MURPHY, the wife of Mr. JAMES | SPELLISSY of Lisdooney and Corofin. She died in the year | of our Lord 1832 aged 45 years. | May she rest in peace Amen.”
This Mrs. Spellissy was sister of the celebrated Rev. John Murphy, P.P., of Corofin, who took such an important part in the return of Daniel O’Connell as M.P. for Clare.
Inside church, near S.W. angle:—
“Here lyes the Body of | DANIEL (sic) FITZPATRICK who | Departed this life Mar | ch 1781, aged 60 yrs. | Erected by JOHN | FITZPATRICK for him and | Family.”
Inside church, near north wall:—
“This tombstone | was erected by JOHN | O’BRIEN.”
In centre of church:—
“Erected | by Mr. PATRICK SPELLISSY to the | memory of his stepmother
ALICIA | SPELLISSY alias HEYNES the wife of | Mr. JAMES SPELLISSY of
Corofin | she departed this life in the year | of our Lord 1825 aged
42 yrs. and | also to the memory of her son | MICHAEL SPELLISSY who
died in | the year 1853 aged 36 yrs.
South of preceding tomb:—
“Pray for the soul of | EDMUND POWER who | departed this life 15th | Septr. Anno Domini 1781. | Erected by his son | JAMES POWER.”
“Per Crucem ad Coronem.”
Inside church, opposite door:—
“Erected by MICH | AEL O’LOGHLEN in me | mory of his Father | PATRICK O’LOGHLEN | who died December | 1795 aged 78.”
Outside east gable of church, just south of foundations of McGorman Chapel, is the Owen tomb, with the following inscription, coat-of-arms, and motto:—
“This tomb is erected | A.D. 1831 | By WILLIAM OWEN to | the memory of his fa | ther WILLIAM OWEN who | died March 15th 1776 | and of his brother | FRANCIS OWEN who died | Augst 12th 1824 | WILLIAM OWEN died aged | 86 January the 27th and | MARGARET his wife aged | 63 died June 8th 1833 | also their son PETER OWEN | Inchiquin Cottage | died 24th May 1858 aged 48 years.”
North of preceding:—
“This Flag was erected by | CAPTAIN MORT M‘MAHON in | affectionate memory of his | Father TERENCE M‘MAHON Esqr. | of Dromore who departed this | life the 16th of November 1796 aged 58 years. | And of his brother TIM M‘ | MAHON Esq. who departed this | life the 5th of May 1804 aged 27 yrs.”
South of McMahon tombs is a stone with the following inscription:—
“Underneath are the | Remains of the Revd. | MICHAEL DAVOREN Clerk | REBECCA his wife and JANE | Their Daughter, in affectionate | remembrance of whom this | Tomb is erected by the junior Branches of their | Family, 1st May | 1822.”
South of preceding:—
“The last Tribute of respect to | the Memory of Mrs. ANNE | LUKEY DAVOREN who left this | world deeply regretted and | justly esteemed for every good | quality that could render life | valuable, in affectionate | recollection of whom this Tomb | is inscribed by her afflicted | Husband BASIL DAVOREN | Attorney, 28th February | 1822.”
Under east window, outside the church, inside foundations of McGorman Chapel:—
“Here Lyes ye Body | of MARGERY WOLVERSTON Dyed | In [probably
for June] 1733.”
The grandfather of this John Macnamara was, as above stated, Michael Macnamara of Dereveth (recte Derryvet) and Ballymarkahan, but it was his great-grandfather, another Michael, who was interred in the Abbey of Quin, as can be proved both by family tradition and the inscription on his grave near the high altar in that church, which is as follows:—
“. . . . . . M‘NAMARA of Ballymarka. . . . . . who died Decembr. ye 22d Ano. Do. 1722 may he rest in pace, amen. Erectd. by his son MICHAEL Ano. Dom. 1750.”
This latter Michael was grandfather of the John Macnamara whose inscription is given above. The tomb in Quin Abbey was barbarously mutilated some years ago to make room for the hideous vault built for Rev. Dr. M‘Mahon, but quite enough of the inscription remains to identify it. The stonecutter made several blunders in the spelling, but English schoolmasters were scarce in Thomond in those days, Irish being still the language of the country.
East of the tomb of John Macnamara, but outside the foundations of
the MacGorman Chapel, is a very curious tombstone.
“Remember mortal who this Flag may see,
“This tombstone was | erected By Mr. PATRICK FOSTER | of Bankill for the use of his Father and himself and | Posterity. Use of his Father | PATRICK FOSTER who died | January the 25th 1758 age | year 73.”
The Heraldry in above tombstone is very bad.
To the south of the preceding is another Foster tomb. The Robert Foster
mentioned in it was another son of the above Patrick Foster who died
in 1758. The inscription is as follows:—
North of the Macnamara tomb is the following:—
“Sacred to the memory of HENRY O’FLANAGAN M.D. who was | born January 1831 and died Oct. | 7th 1865 of Fever caught in the discharge | of his duties at the Cragenock | Dispensary. In him was sown the | seeds of a good Physician. But death | has reaped the Fruit. Also his | sister MARY who died March 28th | 1856 aged 22 years. This tomb was | erected by their bereaved mother | CATHERINE O’FLANAGAN. May they | rest in peace.”
1897, Vol. III (3)
Kilnaboy Church Ruins.
There are only four monuments in this church worthy of notice.
I. At the south-east corner is a large mural tablet; overhead a shield and mantling, much defaced by lime incrustations; underneath, in raised capitals:—
THE ATCHIVEMENT OF ONEILANES.
While on the tablet appears:—
DERMOD O’NEILAN AND TEIGE O’NEILAN HIS BROTH | ER, FOR THEM AND THEIR H | EIRES, MADE THIS SEPVLC | ER, 1645
II. Between the south windows is a rudely elaborate round-headed tablet displaying the Crucifixion, with I.H.S. and the Sacred Heart to the left, and 1644 to the right; beneath, in raised capitals:—
VNDER THESE CARVED MARBEL STONES | LIETH CONNOR O’FLANAGA’S BODY AND | BONES, WHICH MON | MENT WAS MADE BY ANABEL HIS WIFE | ORATE PRO EIS. LAVS DEO.*
* This inscription appears, inaccurately given, on p. 230, Vol. VI. of The Journal.
III. A slab in the south-west corner:—
LOUGHLIN REAGH O’HEHIRS TOMB, FINISHED BY HIS SON ANDREW O’HEHIR 1711.
IV. A table-tomb, with two arched recesses, near the north window:—
MELAGHLIN OGE O’HEHIR AND MORE HOGAN HIS WIFE
The name Kilnaboy is a corrupt form of the Irish Cill-inghen-Baoith, meaning “the church of the daughter of Bœthius.” The patron-saint’s day was kept on the 29th of December; and her well, close by, is resorted to for the cure of sore eyes.
|<< Back to Association
for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead, Ireland: Journals 1888-1916