|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Part II. History of Thomond
Book of Forfeitures and Distributions: Notes
1. The whole parish of Bunratty belonged to the Earl of Thomond, and formed that magnificent park so highly lauded by Rinuccini and his secretary.
In the year 1663, John Cooper, Esq., is returned, in the list of tenants of Clare, as liable for the subsidy levied upon the whole parish of Bunratty. He was, therefore, the tenant of the Earl for all the lands in the parish.
Ballycunneen is incorrectly placed here. It belongs to the parish of Drumline.
3. Sir Henry Ingoldsby, Bart., to whom many denominations of land were granted under the Cromwellian Settlement, was son of Elizabeth Cromwell, niece of the Protector. He was an able officer of the Parliamentary army, and his proceedings in the subjugation of the South of Ireland were rigorous and merciless in the extreme. He married the daughter of Sir Hardress Waller of Castletown, Co. Limerick, another Presbyterian like himself.
4. In 1659, the “Titulado” of Caherteige was John O’Ruddane. This Spanish term Titulado, is used by Sir William Petty, in a census of Ireland taken by him in 1659, to denote the tenants who held from the great grantees under the Act of Settlement. These were in Clare, the Earl of Thomond, Lord Inchiquin, Lord Clare, the Bishops of Killaloe and Kilfenora, Sir Henry Ingoldsby, and others. The Titulados appear to have held their lands by limited tenures, scarcely any of their descendants being now, or for a long time past, found in the county. They were a little Protestant garrison scattered through the country, and placed there to cooperate with the other Cromwellians to whom lands had been assigned, in keeping down the Catholic inhabitants. Petty’s census was discovered by the late Mr. Hardinge amongst the papers preserved in the collection of the Marquis of Lansdowne. A transcript, made by him, is deposited in the Royal Irish Acadamy.
5. In 1659, Roger Hickey was Titulado of Clonloghan, and in 1661, Wm. Hartwell was the Bishop’s tenant.
6. In 1659, Wm. Sarsfield was Titulado of Drumgeely, and in 1663, Patrick Sarsfield was tenant. Afterwards, Robert Hickman had a lease of Drumgeely at the yearly rent of £20.
7. In 1663, Turlogh O’Brien was tenant of Leamaneigh and Ballynoosk.
8. In 1663, George Clancy was tenant of Killulla and Lisarinka.
9. Nicholas Fanning was Mayor of Limerick in 1630, and was, doubtless, a mortagee of these lands in 1641.
10. In 1663, Thomas Cullen, Esq., was tenant of Lisconor and Lismacleane.
11. In 1659, Daniel O’Brien, gent., was Titulado, and in 1663, Cormuck Hickey was tenant of Tullyglass.
12. In 1659, Pierce Arthur, gent., was Titulado of Tullyvarraga.
13. In 1610, Conor, son of Teige MacNamara of Smithstown, claimed Ballycaseybeg as against the Earl of Thomond, but in vain.
14. Tenant of Crossagh in 1663, Donagh na Croishe MacNamara.
15. Tenant of Culleen in 1663, George Clancy.
16. Titulados of Drumline in 1659, Daniel MacNamara, and John his son.
17. Tenant of Knocknecullin in 1663, Cormuck Hickey; of Ballycasey, John Reddan and Michael Leaver; of Ballycuneen, Michl. Stritch; and of Enagh, Maurice Halloran.
18. Titulado of Smithstown in 1659, Maurice O’Halloran, gent.
19. Titulado of Tullyvarraga in 1659, Richard Clancy, gent. In the reign of Queen Anne, the Earl of Thomond made a lease for ever, to John Miller Esq., of Ballycaseybeg, at the yearly rent of £100, and of Drumline to Thos. Westropp Esq., at the yearly rent of £70.
20. Titulado of Ardkyle, in 1659, Oliver Bourke, gent. Tenant of same in 1663, Daniel MacNamara.
21. Tenant of Feenagh in 1663, Thos. Fanning. Mrs. Wilson became tenant, in perpetuity, of Feenagh in 1712.
22. Tenants of Rath in 1663, Wm. Purefoy, Esq., and Jeremiah Reeves.
Titulados of Rosmanagher in 1659, John Tomkins, Edmond Somers, John Leo,
and Michael Fitzgerald. Tenant in 1663, John Conyers. In 1610, Rosmanagher
was claimed from the Earl, by Mahone, son of Donogh MacNamara, of Kilkishen,
but his claim was disallowed. In 1642, the castle of Rosmanagher was occupied
by a man named Christian Coule. The Hon. Robert O’Brien, in his
notes to Dineley’s Journal, mentions that in 1675, Abraham
Dester obtained from the Earl of Thomond, a lease of the castle and two
plow-lands, at £103 10s. yearly rent. The lease was afterwards converted
into a fee—farm grant, and the lands belong still to the same family,
who have assumed the name of D’Esterre. Its present representative
is Henry V. D’Esterre, Esq., J.P., of Rosmanagher.
In 1663, Thomas Cullen, Esq., was tenant of the townlands of Stonehall,
Carrowbane, and Inishmacnaghtan; John Reddan of Ballycalla; and Pierce
Creagh, of Garrynamona and Rineanna. In 1661, Thomas Cullen of Stonehall,
was High Sheriff of Clare. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace
appointed for the County in 1662, and was evidently a man of position
and authority. More than twenty years before this time (in 1635), he was
one of a civil survey jury, at an Inquisition held at Clare. After the
expiration of his lease, he appears to have left Stonehall, for it was
acquired by Sir Donogh O’Brien of Dromoland, from Sir Henry Ingoldsby.
Sir Donogh settled it, with other large estates beside, upon Henry, the
son of his second marriage. This Henry resided at Stonehall, until his
marriage with Miss Stafford of Blatherwycke Park in Northamptonshire,
to which place he removed, and it has continued to be the principal residence
of his descendants up to this time.
25. Ardmaclancy.— The tomb of this Teige O’Ruddane is in the old church of Kilfinaghta, and his epitaph will be found where I have described that building. The lands of Ardmaclancy and Ballysheenbeg subsequently became the property of Daniel Molony, a Captain in O’Brien’s Regiment of Foot, who was attainted for his adherence to the cause of James II. His lands were sold in consequence, by the Chichester House Commissioners in 1703, to Thomas St. John of Ballymulcashel, Esq., for £268. See Book of Sales in Library of King’s Inns, Dublin.
26. In the abstracts of grants under the Acts of Explanation and Settlement, Peter Crainsborough is described as of “Waterford, gent.; son of Marcus, Mercht.” He was a Transplanted Papist. He sold his lands in Clare to Henry Ivers and others.
27. Ballycullen.— The Thomas Fanning named as part proprietor of Ballycullen and Ballynevan, was a citizen of Limerick who, no doubt, was a mortgagee of those lands.
28. Ballymulcashel.— Bartholomew Stacpoole was a citizen of Limerick. He was the son of James Stacpoole of that place, who, in 1636, married a daughter of Dr. Arthur. A curious account of the wedding presents bestowed upon her is found in the Arthur MSS. as given in Lenihan’s History of Limerick. This Bartholomew, in the female line, was the ancestor of the Earls of Limerick.
29. Conor O’Brien, proprietor of Ballymulcashel in 1641, was the grandson of Teige Oultagh O’Brien. Clare Inquisitions, Sixmilebridge, 10th January, 1628.
30. Ballynevanbeg.— William Lysaght was Sheriff of Limerick city in 1636. Lenihan’s History, p. 702. Nothing is known of Robert Dixon.
31. Ballyroe and Castlecrine.— According to the Clare Inquisitions, David Ruddane was the owner of Ballyroe in 1610. Dominick Fanning was Mayor of Limerick in 1646. Of the Colonel William Purefoy, to whom grants of lands in this and other parishes were made, little is known. In 1659, he was Titulado of Rosroe castle, and afterwards, in 1683, he had a suit with Lord Clare touching the ownership of that place; but the confiscation of the Viscount’s estates put an end to the matter. Note by the Hon. Robert O’Brien to Dineley’s Journal.
Ballyarrilla (Mount Ivers).— Henry Ivers was “Titulado”
at Ballymolony, parish of Killokennedy (vide Petty’s census). He
is thus described by Thomas Dineley in his Journal written in 1680. [See
Journal of Kilkenny Archæological Society, vol. i., new
series, 1856—57, pages 170, &c.] “Within a quarter of
a mile of Sixmilebridge is a castle belonging to Henry Ivers, Esq. The
gentleman owner hereof, came over, [a young man, clerk to one Mr. Fowles,
a barrister], since the King’s Restoration, and hath, in this time,
by his industry, acquired one thousand pounds a year. The first and chiefest
of his rise was occasioned by being concerned in the revenue, as Clerk
to the King’s Commissioners for settling the Quit Rents, and afterwards
became the Deputy Receiver, is now in the commission of the peace, not
worth less than sixteen hundred pounds a year.” In a note, written
by the late Hon. Robert O’Brien, at foot of this passage, he says,
that Henry Ivers became patentee, under the Acts of Explanation and Settlement
of 5,773 statute acres of profitable land, to which a further large area
was added under the name of waste. By his patent of Ballyluddane East,
adjoining Sixmilebridge, he obtained power to hold a Saturday market and
two fairs yearly, on part of the lands of Ballyarrilla, alias Mount Ivers.
In 1668, he was appointed his agent by Colonel Daniel O’Brien, third
Viscount Clare, and from him he obtained leases of considerable tracts
of lands. He was married to the daughter of Captain Stephens of Ballysheen,
was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1669, and High Sheriff in 1673.
He died in 1691, and was succeeded by his son John, who was elected Member
of Parliament for Clare in 1715. He is now represented by his descendant
James Butler Ivers, Esq., J.P., of Mount Ivers. In reference to the Mr.
Fowles above mentioned, Mr. O’Brien further writes, “The lands
of Tarbert, County Kerry were, in 1666, possessed by Cornet John Cooper
of Bunratty, a Cromwellian officer to whom the mother of Sir Donat O’Brien,
(the well known Mary Roe) of Leamaneh and Dromoland was married, and by
whose means the estates of Sir Donat were preserved at the general confiscation.
Thomas Fowle of Dublin obtained a judgement for £1,800, principal
against Cooper, and seized his lands of Tarbert in execution. Afterwards,
Fowles’ executor let them to Henry Ivers for £100 per annum,
to be paid at Strongbow’s Tomb. At the Chichester House sale of
forfeited lands in 1702, Henry Ivers purchased several estates. In the
adjoining town of Sixmilebridge, belonging to the Earl of Thomond, several
of the new Protestant settlers built houses. They found that residence
in a town, inhabited by their co—religionists was conducive to their
safety, and the Earl was desirous also to establish a Protestant colony
at the place. On the adjacent townland of Cappa, he caused a residence
for himself to be erected, and it appears to have been used as a hunting
lodge. It was known by the name of Bunratty Lodge, and the townland yet
retains the name of Cappa Lodge. The rents, says the Hon. Mr. O’Brien,
paid at that time for houses and plots of ground bear a very high proportion
as compared with the value of lands. Ten pounds a year, with a covenant
to rebuild, was the rent of a house and shop; and £52 per annum
that of a malt house at Sixmilebridge. At the same time, the best land
in the neighbourhood could be had for five shillings an acre, with a lease
33. Ballintlea.— In 1624, John, and Teige MacNamara of Ballintlea, claimed lands which had been granted by patent to the Earl of Thomond, but their claim was disallowed, (see Clare Inquisitions). In 1663, Ballintlea was occupied by Thomas Green alone.
34. Ballybroughan.— Nicholas White was afterwards attainted, because of his adhesion to the cause of James II., and his estate of Ballybroughan was sold in 1703, by the Chichester House Commissioners to John Ivers. He had been originally a Transplanted Papist.
35. Ballyliddane.— About the year 1608, the Earl of Thomond gave the lands of Ballyliddane to Simon Morris, in exchange for lands in the Barony of Moyarta; (see Clare Inquisitions temp. Charles I.). In 1624, James Morris claimed Ballyliddane as against the Earl to whom it had been recently granted by patent, but his claim was disallowed. James’ widow was Honoria O’Brien (see Clare Inquisitions). In 1663, the Ballyliddanes were occupied by F. Weedon, Thomas Harold, and Wm. Thompson.
36. Ballymorris.— The Commissioners for settling the forfeited estates having granted Ballymorris and Cratloemoyle to Sir Henry Ingoldsby, under the Act of Settlement, claim was made to them, by John MacNamara, the ancient owner, and his right to them was confirmed by Decree of the Court of Claims, dated 16th July, 1663. [Appendix to 15th Annual Report on Irish Records, Dublin, 1824.] In this townland is found a hill, called in Irish, Knockthurles, which means the hill of the fortress. It is situate in the vicinity of the Shannon, and it seems probable that it was a stronghold of the Danes. The name of the townland itself appears to be derived from one Maurice, a chieftain of the Danes, at Limerick, whose name is mentioned by Keating. In 1659, Ballymorris was occupied by Pat Brett and his son Francis.
37. Brickhill and Moyhill.— These townlands included the various sub-denominations above mentioned. They were granted, in 1610 by patent, to the Earl of Thomond. In 1656, he lease them to Teige O’Brien and Giles Vandeleur at the yearly rent of £70. In 1659, Vandeleur alone was tenant, and in 1675 he obtained a renewal of the lease. He was the ancestor of the Vandeleurs of Ralahine and Sixmilebridge. His father, a Dutchman, was the first of the name known in Clare. He occupied the mill at Sixmilebridge, and was a maltster and tanner there. His son Giles was appointed Collector of Customs at Limerick, and soon became a man of importance, for we find him High Sheriff of Clare in 1664. About the year 1680, Giles was employed with George Purdon, to adjust the incidence of the Crown Rents upon the various profitable lands in that county; and in the course of his inquiries became well—acquainted with the character of the soil. When Dineley visited Ireland in 1680, he found Giles Vandeleur residing in the castle of Ralahine, the former residence of one of the MacNamaras who had been expelled, and he describes him as a Dutchman. In 1687, he obtained a lease of lands at Kilrush and other places in the Barony of Moyarta from the Earl of Thomond. These he assigned to his second son, the Rev. John Vandeleur, M.A., Rector of Kilrush, of whom it is recorded that he fought and was severely wounded at the battle of Aughrim. This John became tenant in fee farm to the Earl, of his manor of Kilrush, and was the ancestor of Captain Hector Vandeleur, the present proprietor of those extensive estates. Dineley gives the inscription on the tomb of Mrs. Vandeleur in St. Mary’s Cathedral, Limerick. It sets forth that she was daughter of John Fitzgerald, Dean of Cork, by Miss Boyle, daughter of R. Boyle, Archbishop of Tuam, and that she died in 1678, aged 40 years, leaving issue eight sons and seven daughters. No trace of her monument exists now in St. Mary’s. (For these particulars, see Dineley’s Journal with the notes of the Hon. Robert O’Brien; Linehan’s History of Limerick; Affidavits touching massacres of 1641; Liber Munerum Hiberniæ.) As regards Teige O’Brien, Vandeleur’s co—tenant, he obtained patent of some lands in the barony of Tulla, under the Act of Settlement, but having joined King James in 1689, and become a captain in Lord Clare’s Dragoons, he was attainted, and his estate forfeited. [Dalton, King James’ Army List.]
Portdrine.— “The Lord Henrye O’Bryen, Earl
of Thomonde, 19o Martii, 1635, did lease unto me, for four score and nineteen
years, three plowlands and a halfe in Cratlaghmore and Portreyne, at the
rent of a red rose in midsummer, or a grain of pepper if it be demanded,
upon condition, that if his honour, his heyres, exors., or assignes, die
within six months after warning be given them be me, my heyres, and assigns,
pay us in whole sum and entyre payment the sum of one thousand and fiftie
pounds, sterling, with all arrears of interest thereof, then the said
lease to be expired. Wm. Brickdale, Esq., and George Connessis, Esq.,
are bound with his honor in bonds of the statute staple for the warrantie
and performance of covenants. His honor, by a special note under his hand,
is bound to save me from all subsidies and other country charges to be
imposed on that land during that mortgage. Edmond, Lord Baron of Castleconnell,
who in right of his wife, Lady Margaret Thornton, the relict of Donogh
O’Brien of Carrigogunnil, was tenant of the said Earl in the premises
did attorne tenant unto me, and payed me during his life, a hundred pounds
rent thereout per annum. And since his death, the said Lady Dowager Margaret,
of Castleconnell, payed me duly every year, one hundred pounds sterling
thereout until Easter, 1642, inclusively, but ever since then payed me
no rent thereout, and yet detained the land until she deserted it in anno
1650.” From Dr. Thos. Arthur’s MS. Diary, quoted
in Linehan’s History of Limerick, p. 144. In a marginal
note, the land is said to contain in Kilfintinan, Portreigne, 243 acres
profitable, and 58 1/10 acres unprofitable; in Killeely parish, 250 profitable,
183 unprofitable, in anno 1637, in Strafford’s time. The Civil Survey
jurors in 1635 were; Rob. Starkey, Turlogh M‘Mahon, Paul M‘Namara,
Neptune Blood, Thos. Hickman, Capt. Thos. Cullen, Thos. Clancy, Geo. Clancy,
Thos. Fanning, and Geo. M‘Namara. It would appear that Sir Geo.
Hamilton, Bart., of Nenagh, became the owner of this mortgage of Dr. Arthur,
for in 1670, we find the lands of Cratloemore and Portdrine assigned to
him by the Commissioners, under the Act of Settlement, to hold them till
the Earl of Thomond should discharge the mortgage for £1,050 due
to Hamilton. (See Abstract of Grants under Act of Settlement, Dublin
1824.) Portdrine in 1663, was occupied by Dr. Teige O’Guillernan.
39. Melick.— By an Inquisition, held in Limerick in 1615, it was shown that Fibagh was owned by Thomas MacNamara, Owen MacMahone, and others; that the lands of Knockalishee, Ballycannan, Cappantimore, and Glannagross, were the property of the Earl of Thomond, and of Donogh, son of Teige O’Brien of Glannagross; that Cratloemoyle was possessed by Daniel MacNamara Finn; Cratloekeel, by Cumara, son of Sheeda MacNamara, and James Rochfort; and that Castle Donnell, alias Cratloemore, was held by the heir of Edward White. [Linehan’s History of Limerick, p. 140.] Edward White was Clerk of the Council of Clare and Connaught. By Inquisition, taken at Ennis in 1641, it was found that Edward White, then late of Ballinderry, in the Co. of Roscommon, died at that place on the 14th of May, 1611, possessed of the castle, town, and lands of Cratloemore and Portdrine. In 1659, the following were “Titulados” of land in this parish:—Meelick, John Cooper, Wm. Neylan, and Teige O’Brien; Clooncosse, Edward and Andrew Rice. In 1663, the occupancy, in some respects, appears to have been altered, for we find, as made liable for the subsidy money of that year, Thomas Green, Esq., for Fyboe, and Dr. Teige O’Guillernane, and Sir Henry Ingoldsby for Cratloe.
Cratloemoyle.— After John MacNamara had established his
right to this townland and to Ballymorris, he and his descendants continued
to reside in Cratloemoyle Castle, until about the year1770, when his property
was sold, under a decree of the Court of Chancery, to George Quin, Esq.
of Quinsborough, uncle of the first Earl of Dunraven, by whom it was bequeathed
to his grandson, Lord George Quin, the late owner. The MacNamaras of Cratloemoyle
were the main stem of the family of MacNamara Finn of Dangan and Knopoge.
About the year 1610, when a new Patent was served out by the Earl of Thomond
for the enormous grants of land already made to him, Daniel MacNamara
Finn of Dangan, laid claim to Cratloemore, Portdrine, Brickhill, Moyhill,
Kilfintinan, and many other denominations as the ancient inheritance of
his tribe, but his demand was disregarded, and the ownership of the Earl
confirmed. John MacNamara of Cratloemoyle, was Lieut.-Colonel in Lord
Clare’s Regiment of Dragoons, and fought at the Boyne, Aughrim,
and Galway. His estate was saved to him by the clause in the Treaty of
Limerick which declared, that all who were within the walls of the city
should be exempt from attainder and confiscation of property. He was King
James’ High Sheriff of Clare in 1689, and was one of the members
for the county deputed to serve in the Parliament called in Dublin by
41. In Cuffe’s account of the siege of Ballyallia Castle, 1642, Peter Ware is described as owner of Ing.
The following townlands in this parish were occupied as tenants, in 1663,
by the undernamed:— Ing, Jonathan Barnes, Robert Nightingale; Breckinish,
John Pawpin; Islandmacnevin, John MacNamara; Clenagh, Sir H. Ingoldsby;
Carrow, Thos. Cullen, Esq.; Lismoyle, Hugh, son of John MacMahon; Urlanbeg,
Capt, Wm. Duckett; and Carrowbane, Turlogh, son of Brian MacMahon.
43. Cloonmunnia.— John, son of Teige Reddan. This is the Teige Raddan whose tomb is in the old church of Kilfinaghta.
Rossroe.— The MacNamaras were long the owners of Rossroe, and Fineen,
who died in 1621, was, at that epoch, the proprietor. His son, Sheeda
(Nydar), succeeded, and after paying off a mortgage held on the estate
by Nicholas Stritch of Limerick, he sold it to Lord Clare. Under the Act
of Settlement it was granted to that nobleman, and he mortgaged it in
succession to George Mathews of Thomastown, to Col. Robert Maud of Dundrum,
to John Clignett of the Oilmills Sixmilebridge, and of Clonmacken, near
Limerick, a fleming, and finally to Lady Shelbourne. In 1680, Dineley
found the castle and lands in possession of Mr. John Fennell, as tenant
of Viscount Clare. See notes of Hon. Robert O’Brien in Dineley’s
45. Dromoland.— Dromoland Castle became the place of residence of the family of Leamaneh in the time of Sir Donogh O’Brien, Bart. A beautiful monument, executed by Rubilliac, and dedicated to the memory of Sir Donogh, stands in the church of Kilnasoolagh.
Rathfolan.— In 1580, the Castle of Rathfolan belonged to
Donogh O’Brien of Leamaneh. It afterwards passed to a branch of
the family of MacNamara of Ayle, who had other estates immediately adjoining,
MacNamara was ejected by Cromwell, and his lands given, about the year
1656, to Henry Colpoys. At the Restoration, Colpoys was displaced, and
Daniel MacNamara reinstated. He in his turn, was put out in 1690, on account
of his adherence to King James II., and his estate was sold at Chichester
House, in 1703, to Sir Donogh O’Brien, Bart., for £300 under
the following circumstances: During his lifetime he had mortgaged it to
Lord Clare for £300. At his death, his heirs were his daughter Slaney,
married to Domnick Fanning of Limerick, and his three grand-daughters
(children of Mary, married to Major MacNamara) viz.:— Mary, married
to Daniel O’Brien, gent., Honora, married to Francis Grady, gent.,
and Margaret, married to Cornelius Brody, gent. Lord Clare’s mortgage,
by his attainder, became vested in the Chichester House Commissioners,
and in April 1703, they handed over the property to Sir Donogh, as Trustee
for the co-heiresses, he paying them the sum of £300. The lands
have since remained in the possession of Sir Donogh’s descendants,
and it is believed that, owing to the action of the penal laws the co-heiresses
never made any attempt to pay off the mortgage, thus tacitly authorizing
Sir Donogh to become the absolute owner of the inheritance. (Note by the
Hon. Robert O’Brien to Dineley’s Journal. See also Abstracts
of Conveyances from Trustees of Forfeited Estates in 1688).
In 1663, the tenant occupying Ayleacotty was Wm. Creagh; the occupants
of Ballycar were John Colpoys, gent. and James Loftus, gent; of Boheraroan,
Edmund Sexton; of Caherkine, Edmund Fitzgerald; of Caherscooby, Pat Lysaght;
of Carrownakilly, Henry Colpoys; of Finlough, Laurence White; of Granaghan,
John Cooper and John Colpoys; of Mausnarylaan, Arthur Smith; of Mooghaun,
Aney M‘Namara and Thomas Burton; of Rathlaheen, John Cooper, Esq.;
of Lismultine, John Colpoys; of Lacarroweeighter, Donogh M‘Conor
M‘Namara; and of Tomfinlough, Laurence White.
48. In 1661, John Magee was tenant of Ballycrighan; David Gibbon of Ballyhickey; Edmond Power, James Butler, and Matthew Lawless of Ballyvergin; David Stapleton of Caherlogan; Nicholas Bellow of Cahershaughnessy; James FitzGerald of Clooney; Henry Clayton of Cranagher; Daniel MacNamara, and Donogh O’Glissane of Cahirgiridanes; Thos. Butler of Derrycalliff; Teige Ryan of Toonaghbeg; and John Colpoys of Toonaghmore.
In the years 1659 and 1661, the tenants in occupation of the following
lands were those subjoined:— Feenagh, John MacNamara; Knockapreaghaun,
Gibbon Fitz Maurice FitzGibbon; Lissana, James and George Roche; Maghera
West, James Butler, gent.; Rathclooney, John, William, and Edmond Power,
J. Roche, J. Condon, and Marcus Magrath; Maghera, John Power; Muckinish,
Dr. Neylan; Cahergal, Theobold Butler; Corbally, David Gibbon; Cragnashanagh,
Gibbon FitzMaurice FitzGibbon was a Transplanted Papist. He had previously
lived at Ballinahinch, Co. Limerick. See Journal of Archælogical
Society of Ireland, Vol. iv., 4th series, p. 307. Sir Oliver Bourke, Bart.,
son of Sir David Bourke, Bart., was also a Transplanted Papist.
The occupying tenants of some of the above lands in 1661 were:—
Knockanean, George Harte; Knockaskibole and Dowray, Dermot Daly; Monanoe,
Sir David Bourke, Bart., David Oge Bourke, and James Bourke; Moyriesk,
John Magee; Knockalatter and Carrownaglogh, Thos. Hickman; Poulroe, David
FitzGerald; Calluragh, Donogh O’Callaghan, Esq.; Finanagh, Donogh
52. Turlough O’Brien of Fonire (-), had been owner of Doon and other lands, but by an Inquisition taken at Ennis on 24th May, 1592, it was found that they, in reality, belonged to the Queen.
53. Lahardan was the residence of the FitzGeralds, one of whom, the Right Hon. James FitzGerald, was father of Vesey, 1st Lord FitzGerald. They held under a lease made in 1734, by Theobald Butler to Maurice Fitzgerald, gent., of Lahardan.
In 1659 and 1661, the tenants of the various townlands of this parish
were as follows:— Ballgassane, Daniel MacNamara; Bunnahow, Thomas
Butler, gent.; Cappanapeasta, Richd. Barry; Carrowkeel, Thomas Butler;
Carrownacloghy, Lieut. Wm. Rosdell, and Bryan Stapleton, gent.; Doon,
John MacNamara, Esq.; Derrynagleragh, Teige O’Brien; Drumumna, James
Hennessy; Drumbonniv, Wm. and Robt. Denn; Knockamucky, Teige O’Brien,
and Moses Ash; Kilvoydan, Henry Clayton; Sranagalloon, James Butler and
his sons John and Edmond, and Wm. Butler, gent.; Sunnagh North, Thomas
In 1659 and 1661, the townlands of this parish were severally occupied
by the following tenants:— Ballyline, by Thomas Butler; Ballylinebeg,
by Moses Ash; Ballymachill, by Nicholas Neylan; Ballymaconna, by David,
Thomas, and Pierce White; Gurtnafinch, by Maoelin Brody, gent., by Daniel
Kennedy, and Bryan Kennedy; Bearnafunshin, by Charles Carty, and Loghlen
O’Grady; Ballygaffy, by David White; Cappagh, by Theobold Roche
and Chas. Ryan; Cloonkerry, by Wm. Roche; Drumgranagh, by John MacInerney,
gent., Anthony Ryan, and Wm. Morris; Lehanagh, by Thomas Stack, and Matthew
MacMahon; Ballyogan, by Maurice Halloran; and Rosslevan, by Nicholas Neylan.
Coolshamroge was sold, in 1703, by the Chichester House Commissioners,
to the Earl of Thomond for £196, James Power having been attainted
of treason for his adherence to James II. The Earl made a letting of the
place to Robert Hickman, at the yearly rent of £2 6s., and of Ballyhannan,
at the yearly rent of £2 2s. He also let, on the same terms, viz.
a lease for ever, the lands of Cullaun, to John Reddan, at the annual
rent of £20.
57. In 1703, Sir Donat O’Brien of Dromoland, purchased from the Chichester House Commissioners the following lands, the estate of Nicholas Arthur, attainted:— Danganbrack, Creevagh, Cahercalla, Maddara, Keevagh, and Kildrum.
58. In 1659, and 1661, the occupying tenants of the townlands of this parish were:— Ardcarney, Chas. Hennessy Esq.; Ballyallia and Ballymayley, R. Roche, R. Keating, Israel O’Callaghan, D. Lawlor, R. Conyers; Ballycarroll, Knockaclara, Killiane, and Inishmore, Loghlen MacInerney; Ballycorey, Jas. England, gent.; Ballyduff and Knockanoura, Donogh O’Callaghan, Esq.; Ballyhee, Cloonteen, same tenant: Gortaleavane, Maghery, Rungarrane, Turlogh FitzPatrick; Derry, Faunrusk, Knockaderry, D. FitzGibbon; Licknaun, Reaskaun, Irilagh O’Callaghan; Killian, Dermot MacInerney; Rungarrow and Tully, Morgan Ryan.
In 1664, as appears by the Subsidy Rolls preserved in the Public
Record Office, Dublin, the tenants in occupation of this parish were the
following:— Abbey, Robert Nugent, Esq.; Ballyvaughan, Cary Dillion,
Esq.; Ballyhehan, Redmond Magner; Ballyvelaghan, Brian M‘William
(Bourke); Dooneen, John Cooper, Esq.
60. Several of the townlands of the parishes of Abbey and Oughtmama have been omitted in the Book of Distributions and Forfeitures, as will be seen by the above scanty list. The tenants of some of the townlands of Oughtmama in 1659 and 1664, were as follows:— Oughtmama, Charles MacDonogh, Dermot MacFinian; Finavarra, Teige O Daly, Laurence Bigg, and Laurence Markahan; Deelin, Daniel Oge; Aughawinnaun, Teige MacFineen, and Daniel MacTeige; Turlogh, Donogh MacFineen, Esq.; and his son Donogh Oge; and Daniel MacFineen.
Several townlands of this parish are left out of the Book of Distributions,
as will be seen by the above list. Opposite to the notices of Carron and
Ballydoora is a note to this effect:— “These 8 Carrowmeers
pay to the King yearly, 13s. 4d.; and to the Bishop of Killaloe, 13s.
4d. yearly, as chief rent to the said See.”
Several of the townlands of the parish of Drumcreehy are omited in the
above list, but it is a correct transcript of the original. In 1659, the
tenants occupying some of the lands of this parish were as follows:—
Newtown, Robert Nugent, and Thomas Nugent, Esquires; Ballycahill, Oliver
Kirwan; Muckinish, John Tully; Ballyconry, Cary Dillon; Ballyvaghan, Mr.
Glavine; Dangan, Edmond McRichard.
63. From the Subsidy Rolls of 1664, we learn that the following were the occupying tenants of Kilcorney parish: Eanty, Hugh Hogan; Cahirconnell, Daniel Carthy; Glensleade, Fodram, &c., John MacNamara; Poulbaun Dermot Mahony; and Ballymihill, Hugh Hogan.
64. In 1659, and 1664, the tenants in occupation of Ballyconnoe south were Cuvarra MacInerney; of Cahermakerrila, Conor O’Flanagan, and Nicholas Mahony; of Killeany, Donogh Oge O’Loghlen; of Cahermaan, Jeoffrey Blake; of Ballykilmartin, James Clancy; and of Ballygastel, Conor O’Flanagan.
65. Certain townlands of this parish are omitted from the above list. In the years 1659, and 1664, the tenants in occupation of the subjoined townlands were: Lismorahaun, Bryan MacConsidine; Ballyhenna, David Creagh; Kilmore, John Creagh; Lisdoonvarna, James Butler, and Donogh O’Brien; Ballydonoghue, Daniel O’Brien; Lisheeneagh, Nicholas Dooly; Coolemore, Conor O’Brien; Ballyneillan, Catherine Wolfe; Ballyinsheenbeg, Donogh O’Loghlen; Ballyinsheenmore, Patrick Sarsfield, Esq.; Knockaskeheen, More ny Brian; and Caherbarnagh, Daniel O Brien.
In the year 1659, the townland of Sheshymore, in this parish, was occupied
as tenant by Owen MacCarthy; Ballymurphy, by Owen O’Halloran; Ballymahony,
by Cormac MacCarthy and Dermot Mahony; Caherpollagh, Thomas MacMurtagh;
Sheshy, Brian O’Loghlen; Noughaval, Murtagh Davoren; Ballyhumulta,
John O’Connor; Cahermacnaghten, Boetius Davoren.
67. In 1659, the tenants of certain of the townlands of this parish were the subjoined:— Feenagh, Andrew O’Halloran and Geoffrey Martin; Ballyhohill, Philip and Richard Coogane; Lislarheenmore, Hugh O’Davoren; Croagh south, Murtagh Oge O’Davoren; Ballyallaban, Thomas Blake and Oliver Kirwan; Cahermacnaghten, Gillananeave Oge O’Davoren; Ballyvaghan, Robert Nugent; Croagh north, Ferral MacGowran; Lismacteige, John Cooper, Esq.; Lissylisheen, Boetius Davoren; Lisgogan, Conor MacCarthy; Gragans, Francis Falon.
In the year 1659, the occupying tenants of the lands of Liskelloge were
Lieutenant George Ross, Desunny Norton, Wm. Brigdale, and Hugh Brigdale.
In the year 1659, the subjoined townlands of this parish were occupied
by tenants as follows:—Ailroe, N. Fox and Francis Meade; Cloondrinagh,
Maurice Fitzgerald, Esq., Garrett Fitzgerald, gent., Creagh, and Murphy;
Coolmeen, Teige MacCarthy; Derryshaan, Charles MacCarthy; Erribul, Nicholas
Fox; Moyfadda, John Long, and his sons James and John; Cahiracon, Henry
In the year 1659, the following were the tenants occupying some of the
townlands in this parish:— Ballynacragga, Mahone MacMahon; Glenconaun,
Teige MacMahon, Esq., son of Turlogh.
The tenants in actual occupation of certain of the above townlands in
the year 1659, were as follows:— Carrowdotia, Pat Harrold; Doonagurroge,
Walter Hickman; Burrane, Pierce Moroney and Thomas Clancy.
72. In 1659, the following townlands were occupied by the undernamed tenants:— Ballyartney, Cornet George Metham; Ballymulchar, David Barry, Esq.; Colmanstown, Francis Stritch and Thos. Mara; Cloonarass by Henry Lee; Mohonagh, by James More; Kilkerin, by Christian Creagh; Knockroe, by Lady MacMahon; Slievedooly, by John O’Meere; and Killofin, by Charles Carthy.
73. Derrycrossane.— In 1666, Henry Hickman had this in right of his wife Honoria MacMahon, who, like himself, was a Protestant. In 1641, it had belonged to the mother of the said Honoria whose name was Anakin Graneera, daughter of Isaac Granier of Kilrush, a Dutch Protestant. Note in Book of Distributions and Forfeitures.
74. In 1659, the following townlands of this parish were occupied as tenants by the undernamed persons:— Cahermurphy,— Miller, George and Lau. Fitzharris; Corraige, Dermot FitzPatrick; Kiltumper, Col. Donogh MacCarthy, and Dermot MacCarthy; Lissanair, James FitzGerald; Leitrim, Dominick Roche; Cahercanavan, Pierce Creagh fitzAndrew; Kiltumper, William Shaughnessy; Lack, Thos. Green; Derrycrossane, Wm. Herley; Ballydrumenagh, Henry Lee.
75. In the years 1659 and 1664, the tenants in actual occupations of some of the above denominations were as follows:— Cassarnagh, Francis Creagh; Kilmore, James Stackpoole; Carrowbane, George Roche; Clonderalaw, Henry Lee; Carrownisk, Thomas Gilsenane; Ballycurraun, Teige Moriarty; Tullycrine, Mrs. Butler.
Several of the townlands of this parish are omitted from the Book
of Distributions and Forfeitures as will be seen from the above list.
Honora Wingfield was the eldest daughter of Teige O’Brien of Smithstown,
second son of Murrogh, first Baron of Inchiquin. She was the mother of
Sir Edward Wingfield, ancestor of the Lords Powerscourt, and of several
daughters, one of whom was married to Donogh, son of Conor O’Brien
of Leamaneh, Esq.
78. In the Subsidy Roll of 1664, Owen Neylan is set down as the tenant of Killaspuglonane; and Nichs. Oge Neylon of Knocknaraha.
The following townlands in this parish were occupied in the year 1659,
by the undermentioned tenants:— Ballynahown, by Daniel and Owen
Sullivan; Carrownacleary, by Dermot O’Sullivan; Toomullin, by Edmund
Fitzgerald; Teergonean, by Danl. McGillaridy; Cahermacrusheen, by James
Clancy; and Carrowgar, by “Sir Turlagh Magrath, a poore decayed
Part of the townland of Cloghaundine belonged, in 1641, to the hospital,
situate at Kilcarragh, near Kilfenora. See Book of Distributions and
In 1659, the tenants occupying some of the townlands of this parish were
as follows:— Cloncoul, Thomas Magrath; Maghera, George Norton; Ennistymon,
Edward Fitzgerald; Ballingaddy, Thomas and Donogh MacGrath; Lehinch, Teige
MacCarthy, and his son Charles.
82. According to the Subsidy Rolls of 1664, certain townlands of this parish were occupied as follows:— Ballymacravan, by Conor O’Brien; Cahercoosaun, by Charles O’Connor; Ballyalla, by Nicholas Lynch; Derreen, by Murtagh McCae; Carrowduff, by Richd. Hanrahan; Ballytarsna, by Edmund Hussey; Carrowmannagh, by Daniel O’Tyne; Lisduff, by Murtagh Ownlight; Gortnaboul, by Egan MacEgan, and Porsoon, by Mahone O’Dea.
83. In Bishop Worth’s account of Killaloe Diocese in 1662, he mentions, that the castle and lands of Dysert, having been withheld from the See, by Teige O’Griffa and Wm. Carrig, he had an order authorizing the High Sheriff, accompanied by George Purdon, Esq., to put him into possession. But the castle being forcibly occupied by Capt. Wm. Neylan, the Sheriff had to force him to leave, and then the place was handed over to Lieut. Col. Lucas as agent of the bishop. Neylan justified his retention of the castle on the ground that his father, Bishop Neylan of Kildare, was assignee of one James Gould of Ennis, the guardian of Conor Liath, Conor Duff, and Donal Maoel O’Dea, sons of Dermot O’Dea, the original owner of Dysert and all the land around. (See Diocese of Killaloe by Cannon Dwyer, page 333.)
This is the Conor MacMaoelin MacBrody whose autograph “approbation”
is prefixed to the Annals of the Four Masters as a proof of their
85. In 1659, the tenants of the following townlands were:— Cloonanaha, Teige McCarthy, gent.; Formoyle, Chas. M‘Carthy, gent.; Ballyea, Daniel Sullivan, gent; and Cloonshingaun, Maurice and Geoffrey O’Connell. Several townlands of this parish have been omitted in the above list.
In 1659, some of the townlands of this parish were occupied, as tenants,
by the following persons:— Carrowcraheen, by Wm. Power; Derryowen,
by Theobold Butler; Templebannagh, by Richard Butler; Shanduff, by John
Power, and Francis Foster; Cloonsilherney, by James and Stephen Lynch;
Aughrim, by Dermot O’Brien; and Attyslaney, by Garrett Nugent.
In the year 1659, the occupying tenants of some of the townlands in this
parish were as follows:— Caherblonick, Simon Daniel; Cahermacon,
Drummoher, and Caherfadda, Loghlen Oge O’Hehir; Baunkyle, Murrogh
Ferris; Magheracarney, John Emerson.
88. In 1659 and 1664, the tenants in occupation of certain of the townlands in this parish were the subjoined:— Craggluske, Michael O’Dea; Shallee, Simon Rotham, a purchaser; Ballyasheea, William Hennessy and his son Philip; Kilnamona, Patrick Hogan; Leckaun, Manus O’Cahane; Ballyneillan, Thos. Hickman; Magowna, William and James M‘Namara; Ballymongaun, Teige Carthy; Ballyknock, James Butler; and Rushaun, Thos. Spratt.
In the year 1659, certain of the townlands of Rath parish were occupied
as tenants, by the undernamed, viz.:— Moanreel, by Garrett Barry,
and Turlogh M‘Owen of Garranse; Drinagh, by Redmond Walters; Moyhill,
by Hugh O’Hogan; Cregmoher, by Donogh O’Brien, gent; Bohersallagh,
by Hugh and James M‘Encroe; Teermacbran, by Garrett FitzMaurice,
Esq.; and Rath, by John O’Hogan.
In the year 1659, the undernamed tenants occupied the subjoined townlands
in this parish:— Loghlen M‘Inerney, Rathcahaun; Dermot O’Kerin,
Oankeagh; Sir Valentine Brown, Bart., and Thos. Curd, Esq., Portlecka;
Murtagh O’Griffia, Attinagh; John Walsh, Cahervicknea; John O’Sheaghane,
Ballyoganbeg; John FitzGerald, Ranaghan; Gerald and John Barry, Ballyteige
In 1659, the townland of Cragbrien was occupied from Lord Thomond, as
tenant by James Aylmer, Esq.; Lisheen, by Thomas Hewes; Ballycorick, by
John Stockden; Lanna, by Edward Barry and his sons; Clooncolman, by Christopher
Verdon; and Gurtygeehan, by Charles McCarthy.
The lands disposed of in this parish to Forrestal and Brigdall in 1660,
were soon afterwards taken away from them, by order of the Lord President
of Munster, and given to Lord Clare.
93. Nicholas Bourke is supposed to have been of the family of Lords Castleconnell and Brittas.
In 1659, the tenants in occupation of some of the townlands of this parish
were the subjoined: Drummeen, Owen MacConsidine; Drumadrehid, Daniel and
Murtagh Oge MacConsidine; Kilmoraun, Daniel Considine; and Teermaclane,
In 1659, the following townlands were occupied by the undernamed tenants:
Ballyvillaun, Dermot O’Meehan; Ballydonohoe, John Bourke; Culleen,
Edward and Patrick Rice; Drumanure, Callaghan O’Callaghan; Gurtaganniv,
Richard Woulfe; Kilcolumb, John Reardon.
In 1659 and 1664, the occupying tenant of Ballyonan, in this parish, was
John Lysaght; of Garraun, Francis Ipslie; of Kilkee, Conor O’Brien,
Esq.; of Kilfearagh, James Stack, James Pierce, Garrett Fitzmaurice, and
Thomas Foy; of Moyasta, John Stack, and Stephen Lysaght; of Lisdeen, Thomas
Lucas; of Corbally, John M‘Namara; of Termon, Isaac Vanhoogarden;
and of Kilnagalliagh, Richard Scott.
All the other townlands of this parish belonged, in 1641, to Sir Daniel
O’Brien, and they were assigned to his son Conor, second Viscount
Clare, under the Cromwellian Settlement.
In 1659, the tenants in occupation of certain lands in this parish, as
given in the Census return of Sir William Petty, were as under: Kilrush
town, Isaac Granier, Esq., John Arthur, gent., and Peter White; Moanmore,
Turlogh M‘Mahon, gent.; Ballykett, Colonel Edmond Fitzmaurice and
Thomas Fitzmaurice, gent.; Moyaddamore, Stephen Stritch, gent.; Ballynote,
Peter Granier, gent., and Henry Hickman, gent.; Garrane, David Mahony,
gent.; Mollougha, John Fitzgerald, gent.
99. In 1659, the lands of Clonbrick were occupied by John Stacpoole; Clonlea, by Donogh O’Callaghan, Esq., and his three sons, Teige, Donogh, and Caher; Oatfield, by Richard Barry, Edmond FitzGerald, Turlogh, Murrogh, and Brian O’Brien; Kilvory, by Pierce Bulger; Ballyweere, by Donogh MacDermot; Ballyvorgal, by Maurice Crainsborough; Clonlea, by Edmond Power; Gortnaglearagh, by Peter Purefoy; and Gortadroma, by Loghlen Cusack.
100. Enagh— The ownership of Enagh, etc., passed, through a daughter of Bartholomew Stacpoole, to the family of Pery, afterwards created Earls of Limerick. Edmond Pery of Stacpole Court (Enagh), in a petition presented to the Court of Claims in 1700, claimed the tithe of certain parishes in the County of Limerick, purchased in 1630, for £240, by his father, Edmond Pery of Croom, gent. The petitioner was the grandfather of Edmond Sexton Pery, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons.
In 1659 and 1664, the tenants in the undernamed townlands were: Ballygarreen,
Conor, John, and Daniel Ryan; Ballycuggaran, Maurice Roche; Carrownakilly,
Dermot and Marcus O’Brien; Craglea, Thomas and John Bourke; Cloonfadda,
Nicholas Starkie; Glannagallagh, Thomas Stritch, a transplanted Papist;
Gurtnagry, Edmond Hackett; Ardclooney, James Craven, an English Protestant;
Ballycorney Serjeant John Felton; Lackenbaun, John Strongman; Ballycuggaran,
Alex. Hovenden; Carrowgare, Teige Roe O’Brien; Carrowbane, Teige,
son of Murrogh O’Brien; Craglea, Thomas Bourke.
102. In 1659, the names of the tenants in occupation of certain townlands in Killokennedy were: Aharinagh, James and Andrew Hackett; Ballymoloney, etc., Henry Ivers, Edward Mandeville, James Everard, and Walter Wall; Ballyquin, Conor O’Callaghan, Esq.; Barbane, John Butler; Cloonconry, Thomas Magrath; Formoyle, Philip Prendergast, Richd. Butler, Thos. Tobin; Kilbane, Irrial Kennedy; Killeagy, Teige Ryan; Killokennedy, Philip Dwyer. Most of these were transplanted Papists.
103. In 1703, Cloonagheen was sold by the Chichester House Commissioners, to John Ievers, for £233. It had been forfeited by the attainder of John and Teige Ryan for their adherence to the cause of James II.
104. In 1660, certain portions of the lands of Killeagy, Shanaknock, and Carrowmeere, were in the possession of John MacNamara, by virtue of an order of final settlement on behalf of his wife, Una MacNamara, granted to her by the Commissioners appointed to set out lands to the transplantable Irish in Connaught and Clare, late sitting at Loughrea.
105. Nicholas Stritch was a transplanted Papist; date of his removal, 15th May, 1677.
Several townlands of this parish are omitted in the Book of Distributions.
In 1659, the tenants in occupation of certain townlands were as follows:
Ballymacdonnell, Maurice FitzGerald; Doon, William Bridgeman; Killuran,
Edmond, William, and John O’Dwyer; and Teerovannan, Philip and Laurence
In 1703, John Cusack of Kilkishen, Esq., purchased from the Chichester
House Commissioners, for £288, the lands of Iragh and Killavoy,
previously the estate of John and Teige Ryan, attainted for their adherence
to the cause of James II. At the same time, Hector Vaughan of Knocknamase,
in the King’s County, Esq., purchased for £405, the lands
of Monogeenagh, also the property of the Ryans. Again, Morgan Ryan, Esq.,
of Dublin, purchased, in consideration of a sum of £192, the lands
of Derryarigid, which had been the property of the same John and Teige
In 1659, the townland of Gurtacullin was occupied by Francis Sexton and
James Power; Drumsillagh, by Edmond Power; Ballykelly, by James Wall,
Esq., and by John Butler; and Snaty, by Pat Morgan.
In 1659 and 1664, the tenants in occupation of certain townlands in this
parish were as follows:— Glenlon, Teige, Turlogh, and Conor O’Brien;
Kilroughil, Daniel M‘Carthy, and John Barrett; Kilcredaun, John
O’Mollane; Magherareagh, Henry Ryan, Edmond Barry, Gerald Barry,
Dermot Ryan; Ballycar, Garrett Barry; Lackaregh, Henry Ivers; Aherinagh,
Thos. Power; Roo, James Hackett; Ballyknavin, Conor Ryan; (afterwards
Captain John Parker).
In 1659, George Purdon, Esq., was Titulado or occupying tenant of Ogonnelloe,
John Fitzwilliam Bourke gent., being tenant of Bealkelly, Thomas Marnell
of Carrowcore, Pierce Power and his sons William and Pierce of Rahena.
In 1659, certain of the townlands were in the occupation of the undermentioned,
viz.:— Annagh, Thos. Tobin; Caher, Thos. Fanning; Fahy (as tenants
of Lord Thomond), Donogh O’Brien and his sons, Turlagh and Owen;
Feakle, Mahone O’Ruddane, gent.; Kilbarron, Doctor Patrick Connell,
gent.; Knockbeha, Wm. Power, Esq.; Lecarrow, John Butler, Esq., and William
In 1659, as Sir William Petty, in his Census states, the townland of Cloontyan-weenagh,
in this parish, was occupied as tenant, by Richard Butler, “the
poore Lord of Kilmallock.”
113. Teige O’Brien was attainted in 1693, and his property at Coolreaghbeg, sold by the Chichester House Commissioners, in 1703, to the Hollow Blades Company.
Edmond Shuldham of Dublin, in consideration of a sum of £80, purchased
from the Chichester House Commissioners, in 1703, part of the plowland
of Drumscale, 88 acres, previously the estate of William Creagh, merchant,
attainted of treason.
115. In 1659, the following townlands, in this parish, were occupied as tenants, by the undernamed persons:— Aughrim, Pierce Butler, Edmond, and John Roche; Ballyvannan, John Magee; Capparoe, Pierce Power, Thomas Butler, and John Roche; Coolagory, Donogh O’Driscoll, Esq., and Miles and Roger Hiffernan; Cappacannaun, Andrew Barret, Teige O’Crowly, and Matthew O’Cullane; Fossamore, Edmond Prendergast; Poulagower, Toby Butler and Thomas Shortall; Scariff, David Magee; Tomgraney, George Magee; Tullahery, Pat Creagh; and Ballyminoge, Wm. Hickey.
116. In 1659, the undernamed townlands in Tulla parish, were occupied, as tenants by the following persons:— Affick, Thomas Hewitt, and Teige MacNamara, gents.; Ballymullin, Arthur Stapleton; Ballyslattery, John FitzGibbon; Carrinagnoe, William Bennis; Fortanebeg, Thomas Magrath, gent.; Fomerla, Charles and Donogh Carthy; Garruragh, David Nihill, gent.; Knockadoon, Conor O’Molony; Liscullaun, Dermot Carthy; Lahardaun, Hugh O’Keefe; Lissofin, John and Richard Harte; Lismeehan, Theobald Butler; Poulaforia, Mat Halley and Thomas Wolfe; Tyredagh, David Sutton; Tome, Walter Sherlock; and Tulla, Philip Kelly.
Philip Bigoe having failed to take out a patent for the lands assigned
to him, they were set out to others in his stead. He was an English Protestant.