|The Churches of County Clare||By T. J. Westropp, M.A.|
|Home | Search Library Catalogue | Search this Website | Copyright Notice||
Clare County Library
Survey of the Churches
Diocese of Killaloe
Barony of Ibrickane
137. KILFARBOY, Sheet 31.—Parish church, 65 feet 9 inches by 17 feet. The west gable had fallen in 1839. The ruin is of the late fifteenth century. The east and south windows have ogee heads, the former has got trefoils cut in its spandrils. The south door is well built. It has a pointed arch, and a stoup with two round-headed opes in the right jamb. Founder, St. Laughteen, “Kellinfearbreygy,” 1302  ; “Kilforbric” and “Kilfearbaigh,” sixteenth century, said to have been founded A.D. 740; it was governed by Bishop Cormac, who died A.D. 837. Monuments, Fitzgerald, 1778; P.M.D., III. (1897), p. 396.
138. MOYMORE (INISDIA), Sheet 23.—Kilfarboy Parish, 40 feet by 19 feet 6 inches. The east window has two round heads (the shaft gone); south window and door. Founder, unknown.  Patroness, Inghean Baoith. The place was called “Magh o mBreacain,” 1599.
139. KILCORCORAN, Sheet 31.—Kilfarboy Parish. A graveyard, with a small oblong building, marked beside the main road, not far east from Miltown Malbay.
140. KILMURRY IBRICKAN, Sheet 38.—Parish church, 86 feet 6 inches by 24 feet 4 inches. A late plain church built of flags. The east end fell before 1839. The west gable has a broken bell chamber and window slit. The south wall has three plain slits and two pointed doors, one built up. A trefoil-headed light remains near the east end. Founder, unknown; not named, 1302; “cil Mhuire o mBracain,” 1599. 
141. INISCAERACH (MUTTON ISLAND), Sheet 38.—Kilmurry Parish. In 1887 I found the coarsely built west wall of a small oratory still standing in a cultivated field, and two roughly-shaped flag-pillars in a field to the north. Founder, St. Senan, c. A.D. 550; “Oilen Fitæ,” 799; “ Iniskereth,” 1216; “Iniscaerach,” Life of Senan (c. 1320). 
142. KILLARD, Sheet 46.—Parish church,
63 feet by 14 feet 4 inches. The gables and fragments of the adjoining
walls remain, The east window had a semicircular head. The two south windows
were respectively square and round-headed. The west gable had a plain
bell chamber. Founder, unknown. “Kellarda,” 1302.
to The Churches of County Clare:
Survey of the Churches