|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New
|A Description of Thomond in 1574 by Edward White|
1. The parishes of Kilvoory (Kilmurry in Lower Bunratty) and Kylinaghty (Kilfinaghta in Lower Bunratty) are misplaced, and belong to the Barony of Dangean-ui-Bhigin. White has omitted the parishes of Clonlea and Tomgraney from the Barony of Tulla.
2. Shane ne geyllagh is an error, for this castle belonged to Seán, chief of Eastern Clann-Cuilein.
3. Ballintleyue is in the parish of Kilfintanan; Quaronenvyre in the parish of Doora; and Cullan in the parish of Quin; and these three castles belong rightly to the barony of Dangean-ui-Bhigin.
4. The parish of Kilnasoolagh is omitted, and the following castles are misplaced, viz.: Legwaro (i.e. Leath-ceathramhadh) in Feakle parish, and Bodevoher in Tulla.
5. These three parishes are wrongly places here; they ought to be in the barony of Dangan, as also the castles of Dunymulvihill and Bealefirvearnayn.