Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost


Part II. History of Thomond
Chapter 12. History of Thomond before it was formed into an English county: From the earliest times, to the death of De Clare, and expulsion of the English in 1318.

Death of Donald at the castle of Quin

Keeping in view these objects, we shall mention that de Clare, in 1279, assembled a large force to surprise Turlogh at Feartain (Fortane). His auxiliaries marched to his aid through Beal-coille-Druinge (Bealkelly)? There they were met and utterly routed by Turlogh. De Clare, as was his wont after defeat, fled to his stronghold at Bunratty, but Turlogh taking advantage of his victory spoiled Tradraighe and drove out from it its English settlers.

A.D. 1280.—At the instance of MacCarthy More, a division was made of Thomond between Turlogh and Donogh, the latter getting the western portion. He did not long survive to enjoy his acquisition, for he was drowned in the Fergus in three years afterwards. His brother Donald having come to Quin, “close to that town where he brought wine for the nobles who came on a visit to his house” was, for some unexplained reason, stabbed in the groin by “a soldier of the English garrison of the strong-walled castle of Quin.” He returned the blow with equal effect, both wounds proving mortal.

During the years between 1286 and 1306, the Cathreim contains only an account of uninteresting raids made upon the country by the rival chieftains while endeavouring to decide their respective rights to the supreme power. In the course of these contests we are told that Donogh O’Dea was slain by his kinsmen Loghlen and MacCraith O’Dea: O’Liddy was slain at Quin by the English; the town of Bunratty was burned by Turlogh O’Brien and by Cuvea MacNamara, the approach to the place being made by a wooden bridge laid across the river, near the castle. It is also mentioned that Turlogh made a visit to west Thomond, passing through “Disert Murthaile,” now Killadysert.

 

Previous

Main

Next