Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost

Part III. History of the County of Clare
Chapter 14. History of the County of Clare from 1580 to 1641

Terms of agreement

“Witnesseth, that all Irish titles shall be abolished; the inhabitants are to grant to the Queen ten shillings a-year for every quarter of land containing one hundred and twenty acres that bears either horn or corn, in lieu of all other demands, save the raising of horse and foot for her Majesty. The Earl of Thomond is to surrender all claims upon Inchiquin in favour of Baron Inchiquin, but he is to have five shillings per quarter of annual rent out of Clonderlaw, Moyarta, Burren, and part of Tulla, except such lands as belong to the see of Killaloe. Out of other parts of Tulla, Lord Inchiquin is to be paid a yearly rent of five shillings for each quarter, the bishop of Killaloe’s lands to be exempted; and out of Corcomroe, he is to receive five shillings per quarter, but his claim is not to extend to the denominations owned by the bishop and dean of Kilfenora, nor to the property of Boetius Clancy, “in consideration of his birth, learning, and good bringing up;” nor to that of Sir Turlogh O’Brien of Ennistymon. Some of the signatories of the Deed of Composition seem to have been bribed into conformity by Perrott, for we observe that Turlogh O’Brien and Boetius Clancy were to hold respectively their castles and lands of Ennistymon, Dough, Ballinalacken, and Knockfinn free from crown-rent and from all demands of the Earl of Thomond. On the same terms John MacNamara Finn, was to hold his castles of Knappoge, and Dangan, and four quarters; Donald MacNamara Reagh, his castles of Garruragh, &c., and four quarters; Teige MacMahon, his castle and lands of Clonderalaw; Turlogh MacMahon, his castle and lands of Moyarta, Doonbeg, &c.; Owney O’Loghlen, his castle of Greggans, with four quarters of land; Mahone O’Brien, his castle and lands of Cloondovan, and six quarters; Sir Edward Waterhouse, knight, having purchased lands, bordering upon ill neighbours, he is to have the castle of Doonass, otherwise called Annaghmore and Annaghbeg, with eight quarters, exempt from crown-rent and from all demands of the Earl of Thomond. The Deed further sets forth that Dr. James Neylan, “in respect of his constant good intention towards the State, whereof he hath good testimony under the hands of many governors of this realm,” shall have the castle of Ballyallia and Ballycoree, with two quarters of land, on the same terms; and finally the document declares that Edward White, Clerk of the Council of the province of Connaught, shall have the castle of Cratloe (More), with three quarters of land in the said Cratloe, viz., Kyrrenbuoy, Portryne, and Clonsoynshyne, free from rent; and that George Cusack shall have Dromoland, with four quarters, on similar terms. It was settled that the Deed should be enrolled in the Court of Chancery. [1]