|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Chapter 16. Footnotes
1. Right Rev. Daniel Neylan. His widow, Ellis Lynch, married Roger O’Shaughnessy, of Gort. He was of the Clare Neylans, and apostatised from the religion of his fathers. He was rector of the parish of Kilrush, and from thence was promoted, by the Queen’s letter, of the 3rd of July, 1583, to the bishopric of Kildare. Owing to the poverty of his See, he obtained from the Queen, on the 23rd of September, 1598, the rectory and vicarage of Carron, Co. Clare. [Ware’s Bishops, p. 392.] In the transcript from the book of Distributions, given in this work, will be found the name of his son as owner, in 1641, of many denominations in Burren and Corcomroe.
2. Amongst the property granted by this patent was a weekly market to be held at Coad on every Saturday.
3. See Composition Deed of Thomond, ante., p. 250.
4. Edward White was Clerk of the Council of the Province of Connaught. Vide, ante, page 250.
5. We know from the Book of Distributions and Forfeitures that, in many cases, the claims here set forth were disallowed in favour of the powerful Earl of Thomond.