|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Mahone Fitzpatrick of Liscormack; Francis Willoughby; Turlogh MacMahon of Killofin; Conor MacMahon of Moyadda; John Long, Conor MacMahon of Kilmore; Cary Dillon; Brian MacMahon of Killimer; Francis Willoughby; Conor MacMahon of Knock; Francis Willoughby; Peter Creagh and John Curnane of Kilmoon; Pat Lysaght and L. White of Granaghan; John MacNamara, and Cary Dillon of Cragleigh; Stephen Roche of Fossabeg Theobald Butler, Miler Hiffernan, and Thomas Grady of Fossamore; John Cooper, and White of Tomfinloe; John MacNamara of Doon, and Theobald Butler; John Clignett and Lady Shelbourne, William King of Rossroe, and Sir Henry Ingoldsby; Donogh O’Callaghan, Ignatius Casey, and William Hickman of Rehy; William Ryan, and Cormuck Ryan
Inquisition, taken at Ennis, on the 22nd of July, 1696, further finds that Mahone FitzPatrick, of Liscormack, was owner of that place, and finds that it now belongs to Francis Willoughby, who pays a yearly rentcharge of eleven shillings to the Bishop of Killaloe.
Finds that Turlogh MacMahon was owner of Killofin; that these lands are now in the occupation of Francis Willoughby, who pays for them one shilling and eight pence yearly to the Bishop of Killaloe.
Finds that Conor and Tiege MacMahon were owners of Moyadda, and that these lands are now in the occupation of John Long.
Finds that Conor, son of Tiege MacMahon was owner of Kilmore; that it is now in possession of Cary Dillon, and that it yields forty shillings per year to the see of Killaloe.
Finds that Richard White was owner of Cassarnagh; that the townland is now possessed by Cary Dillon, and is liable for one shilling and fourpence per annum to the see of Killaloe.
Finds that Brian, son of Turlogh MacMahon, and Aney his mother, were owners of Killimer and Burrane; that these lands are now in the possession of Francis Willoughby, and that they are liable to a rentcharge of £8 a year to the Bishop of Killaloe.
Finds that Conor MacMahon, of Knock was owner of Teervarna; that it is now in the occupation of Francis Willoughby, and that it is liable to the payment of thirteen and fourpence a-year as above.
Finds that Daniel O’Brien of Dough was owner of Kilmoon; that it is now in the possession of Peter Creagh and John Curnane, and that it is liable to the see of Killaloe for £2 6s. 8d. yearly.
Finds that John and Teige MacNamara were owners of Granaghan; that these lands are now in the occupation of Patrick Lysaght and Laurence White, and that they are liable to the Bishop of Killaloe for a yearly rentcharge of twenty shillings.
Finds that John, son of Loghlen MacNamara, was owner of Cragleigh; that Cary Dillon now occupies it, and that it is liable to the bishop for six and eight pence a-year rentcharge.
Finds that William Roche was owner of Fossabeg; that it is now in the possession of Stephen Roche, and that it is liable for two shillings and sixpence a-year to the Bishop of Killaloe.
Finds that Donogh and Catherine Grady were owners of Fassamore and Capparoe; that these lands are now in the possession of Theobald Butler, Miler Hiffernan, and Thomas Grady, and that they are liable to the Bishop of Killaloe for four shillings per annum of rentcharge.
Finds that 218 acres of Tomfinloe were owned by Donogh and Teige MacNamara; that they are now occupied by John Cooper, Esq., and ? White, Gentleman, and that they are liable for ten shillings per year payable to the Bishop.
It finds that, by reason of the late rebellion, all the aforementioned castles, lands, and towns were forfeited to the Crown in the time of Charles II.
It further finds, that the first Viscount Clare, in 1667, being owner of Cappareagh, Cappanapeasta, and Scalpnagown, granted these lands to John MacNamara, of Doon, who assigned them, in 1680, to Theobald Butler.
Finds that Daniel, first Viscount Clare, in 1668, borrowed one thousand pounds from John Clignett, of Limerick, that Clignett assigned this debt to the Dowager Lady Shelbourne, and that she claimed her right to the money, at the time of the attainder of the Viscount’s grandson.
Finds that William King, by virtue of a grant to Sir Henry Ingoldsby Bart., of the lands of Rossroe, claimed the lands of Muckinish Island also, these being likewise part of the estate of Viscount Clare.
Finds that Daniel O’Brien, the first Viscount Clare, being in 1666, owner of the lands of Calluragh, Carrownacloghy, and Poulglass, in the parish of Inchicronan, and of Kilboggoone, in the parish of Tulla, demised these lands to Donogh O’Callaghan.
Finds that Daniel, third Viscount Clare, before the time of his attainder, made a conveyance to Ignatius Casey, and Walter Hickman, for a limited number of years, of the lands of Rehy, parish of Kilballyowen.
Finds that Daniel, third Viscount Clare, being owner of a rent of seventeen shillings yearly, arising out of the lands following, namely, Gurteen, Lismuinga, Lissanair, Derrycrissane, alias Ahaga, alias Lissalure, Cahergal, and Coolosty, conveyed these lands and rents to William Ryan.
Finds that Viscount Clare, in 1667, sold the following lands to Cormuck Ryan, viz.:—Drumgranagh, Mogholach east, and Mogholagh west, Ballyogan, Drumgloon, Cloonkerry, Ballygaffey east and Ballygaffey west, Cappagh, Ballymaconna, Ballyduff, Cregane, Clonlish Dromconora, and Rossleavan.
The Inquisition then goes on to set forth, at great length, the lands owned by Viscount Clare at the time of his attainder.