Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost


Part III. History of the County of Clare
Chapter 22. Act of Settlement—Court of Claims

Specimens of petitions of Innocent Papists

We give here a condensed specimen of one of these petitions:—

“Whereas Constance Davoren, on the 19th of August, in the 28th year of the reign of Charles II., petitioned and claimed before the Commissioners, several lands formerly set out to his father Hugh, as a transplanted person, by the then pretended Commissioners sitting at Loughrea, upon a decree obtained by him from the then pretended Commissioners sitting at Athlone, for settling the claims of persons then transplanted into Connaught and Clare: He now prays for our certificate, setting out his title as a means to enable him to sue out Letters Patent in Chancery: And whereas his claim came on for hearing before us, on the 30th of September, in the 28th year of Charles II., we find that the lands of Lislarheen were forfeited in the rebellion of 1641, and set out to Hugh Davoren by the Loughrea Commissioners, acting on the decree of the Athlone Commissioners, and we decree that letters patent be now passed to Constance Davoren, granting to him the said lands of Lislarheen. Dated the 16th day of February, in the 29th year of Charles II. [1676].”

Similar Decrees were made by these Commissioners of 1676, authorising the issue of Letters Patent of lands to the following persons:—Fineen M‘Namara, the lands of Dromin, parish of St. Patrick; Paul Strange, Carranreagh, alias Knockalough, barony of Clonderalaw; and Muckroish, barony of Bunratty Upper; Murtagh Dowling, Sonnagh and Scalpanagowan, parish of Inchicronan; Simon Eaton, Clondrinagh and Coolmeen, parish of Kilfiddane; Bryan Magrath, his cause being heard, Feaquin was given to him on account of deficiency; Peter Bolgier, Mountallon; Sir Oliver Bourk, Bart., and Mary his wife claimed lands set out by the Loughrea and Athlone Commissioners, to his father Sir David Bourke, Bart., and to Pierce Creagh fitz Andrew, the former husband of Lady Bourke, both of whom were Transplanted Papists. Claim granted and letters patent ordered to issue for the lands of Clonbrickenmore and Moneanoe, parish of Doora; and Shyan, barony of Clonderalaw. Edmond Dwyer, son of a Transplanted Papist, got Ardskeagh; Mary Hughes or Hure, a daughter of a Transplanted Papist, received Coolmeen. Nicholas Stritch, son of a Transplanted Papist, got Killeagy, Shanaknock and Carrowmore. In the character of a Trustee for Barbara Comyn, wife of Laurence Comyn, Patrick Stritch was granted the lands of Glenslead, Ballymihill, and Eanty, in the parish of Killcorney. Laurence Comyn received Lisduane, Lislarheen, Crough south, and Fodrim; George Clancy got Kilulla, Lislea, and Moyalloe, parish of Dromline; and Killukelly in the parish of Kilseily. Nicholas White obtained the lands of Ballybrohane, near Sixmilebridge. Certain lands had been assigned by the Athlone and Loughrea Commissioners to John Comyn, and to Margaret, daughter of Dame Joan White. These grants were confirmed by the Commissioners of 1676. Hugh Sweeney got Ballyconnoe and other lands in the parish of Killeany. Thomas Meade and Catherine, his wife, had various denominations in Burren. William Yorke, Esq., received the lands of Cahercanavan, in the barony of Clonderalaw; and Lord Powerscourt acquired many townlands in the barony of Corcomroe.

 

Previous

Main

Next