|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Edmond Morony of Kilmacduane; Margaret Morony of the same
Edmond Moroney of Kilmacduane, gent., says that Lord Clare, in 1683, being seized in fee simple of the two plough-lands of Doonaha east and Doonaha west, did, by indenture dated in that year, convey to claimant these lands for three lives renewable for ever, in consideration of a sum of £200, (as fully as Dr. James Murphy had held them), the lives being those of the claimant, of his wife, and of Connor Honan, son of Matthew Honan of Poulvollin, paying a yearly rent of £25. The witnesses to the lease were Dermot Considine, Wm. Neylan, Darby Dea, and John Birmingham. Lord Clare appointed Birmingham his attorney to deliver livery and seizen which he accordingly did in presence of Dermot Considine, Wm. Neylan, Flann M‘Grath, Daniel Neylan, and Murtagh M‘Mahon. Colonel Daniel, son and heir of Viscount Clare, confirmed this letting. The deed was exhibited at Ennis before John Budden on the 22nd of July, 1696. The Petitioner claims that his lease of lives renewable for ever may be confirmed.
The same Edmond Moroney, in another petition, sets forth that Daniel Viscount Clare, being owner in fee of Lisheen, Kilcarrue, and part of Furroor, in consideration of £200, did let to Petitioner in 1688, these premises (as they had been previously held by John O’Dea, excepting a small plot near Moyarta gate in the possession of the Viscount’s Scotch workmen), for the life of Jane Moroney the wife, and of Pierce and John, the sons of the petitioner, at the yearly rent of two shillings and six pence, the petitioner to build a house on the lands of Doonaha, of stone or brick, fifty feet long and eighteen feet high, with a slated roof, and plant with apple trees an orchard of two acres in the English manner under a penalty of £50. Petitioner states that, in consequence of Lord Clare’s attainder, he is now entitled to that nobleman’s right in the property.
The petition of Margaret Moroney (widow of Pierce Moroney the elder), of Edmond Moroney, both of Kilmacduane, and of Pierce Moroney the younger, of Limerick, merchant, states that Viscount Clare, being owner in fee of Brisla, by deed of 1668, between him and Dionitia Yeoman, widow of Edmond Yeoman, Esq., of Kinsale, merchant, in consideration of £1,742, did mortgage to her various denominations of his estate, Brisla amongst the rest. She, by deed of 1669, granted all these lands to Henry Ivers (the agent of Lord Clare), for a term of 99 years. Afterwards, his lordship demised Brisla to one John Ronan, of Limerick, Esq.; the lease being witnessed by Wm. Stritch, Pat Hickie, Thady Cusack, Edmond Moroney, Geo. Sexton, James Fitzgerald, Malachy Sheahan, Thos. Vanhugarden, Thomas Mahon, and Peter Vanhugarden. Mrs. Moroney’s petition further says that Ronan conveyed the premises to her late husband, who, in 1678, made his will devising the property to herself and her two sons. The petition is signed by Margaret Moroney (her mark), Edmond Moroney, and Pierce Moroney.
In another petition, the same parties say that in 1669, Lord Clare and Henry Ivers, in his capacity of assignee of Mrs. Yeoman’s mortgage, leased to Pierce Moroney the elder, of Clooneenagh, merchant, in consideration of a sum of £380, the townlands of Gourtsland, Teernagloghaun, Tullabrack, and Kilmacduane, for a term of 99 years, and for the yearly rent of £50. The lease was witnessed by John Cooper, Thomas Mahon, Robert Gould, Wm. Tirry, Henry Lowndes, and Thomas M‘Mahon. The Petitioners claim their term of 99 years.