|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
John O’Dea of Ballylanheedy; John Ivers of Mount Ivers; Mark Considine of Lack
John O’Dea of Ballylanheeda, near Ennis, presents his petition and sets forth that he is entitled to 58 acres of that townland as lessee of Lord Clare, for the lives of his wife Eleanor Clancy, of his son James, and of himself, at the yearly rent of £10. He paid his rent regularly to Sir Wm. King, to whom the lands had been mortgaged by Viscount Clare. He estimates the present annual value of the farm to be £12, and its gross value to be £120. The witnesses to this petition are Dermot O’Brien, James O’Grady, and Cornelius O’Brien.
John Ivers of Mount Ivers, gent., eldest son and heir of Henry Ivers, who died on 28th October, 1691, says that his father, in the year 1669, had joined Lord Clare in bonds to several persons, among the rest to Pierce Morony in the penal sum of £1,000. Morony, after Lord Clare’s attainder, levied his claim off petitioner’s estate, and the latter now asks to be indemnified out of the proceeds of the sale of Lord Clare’s property. In the same petition he states that in the year 1672, for the consideration of £130, Lord Clare mortgaged to the late Thomas Green, Esq., of Meelick, the lands of Cloonycornymore, Pollagh alias Gortpullagh, Ballynevin, Ballycullin, and Knockatooreen, with condition of redemption. Leases for three lives had been made by his lordship to one John MacNamara of Clonyconrymore at £12 per annum rent; of part of Gortpollagh to one Donogh MacNamara, at £2 a year; to Thomas Fanning of another part of Gortpollagh, at the same rent; and of Knockatooreen to Eleanor Wingfield at a pepper corn rent. In 1672, Green made over his mortgage to Henry Ivers, in consideration of the sum of £131, and the deed of assignment was witnessed by Thomas Breviter, Thomas Stringer, John Cusack, Christopher Galway, and Murtagh Carmody. Several years before the late troubles, one Henry White evicted Lord Clare and the petitioner from Knockatooreen, and one Cransborough put them out of Pollogh. In 1682, Henry Ivers mortgaged several parts of his estate, these lands amongst the rest, to Alderman John Leonard of Limerick for £500, and Leonard being a forfeiting person, his claim to this £500 was given by William and Mary to the Bishop of Limerick to repair the cathedral. The money was paid to the bishop by the petitioner, and he goes on to say that the land lay waste till 1693, when he made a lease of it to one Daniel Reddan at £3 per year, that rent being the most he could get for it. He further states that Lord Clare, by deed of 1676, had granted to his father the lands of Ballyganner in Burren, Lismuinga, in the parish of Ruan, and Ahaga in the parish of Kilmihil. By another deed of the same date, he sold for ever to Henry Ivers, the lands of Teeronea and Knockatooreen alias Stailduff, and he appointed Turlagh Mackcofferye of Kilkishen to give possession of them. Possession was accordingly given in presence of Augustine Bennis, Daniel Farrell, Daniel MacNamara, Pierce Morris, and Murtagh Harney. Henry Ivers, as before stated, died on the 28th of October, 1691, and his will bearing date the 10th of August, 1690, was witnessed by William Butler, Henry Stephens, and Richard Wilson.
Mark Considine of Lack, son of Teige Considine, deceased, by his mother and guardian Bridget Considine, states that Lord Clare being seized of the townlands of Lack, Kilbreedy, and Cloonakilla, in the parishes of Kilmihil and Kilchreest, by lease of 1676, demised them to petitioner’s father for the lives of Dermot, son of Conor Considine of Clonreddane, Murtagh Knelly, son of Donogh Knelly, and Dermot Oge O’Knelly, all of Lack, and the survivor, renewable for ever, £18 being the renewal fine, and £18 a year being the yearly rent. The lease was witnessed by John Cooper, Wm. Smith, Walter Hickman, Ralph Conyers, John Hirwell, Samuel Foxon, and Henry Ivers. The father of petitioner continued in possession till 1695 and died that year. The petition is signed by Mark Considine, and with her mark by Bridgett Considine, in presence of Thos. Connor, Chas. O’Brien, and Francis Wall.
The same petitioner states that John Comyn of Danganivigine, being owner in fee of forty-two acres of profitable land, according to Strafford’s survey, of the lands of Leamnaleaha, parish of Kilchreest, demised them to Teige Considine, father of petitioner, for the lives of Teige Considine, Donogh Knelly, Honora M‘Dermot, Dermot O’Knelly, junr., and of Catherine his wife, both of Lack, at thirty-five shillings per year. Petitioner adds that Comyn having been attainted of high treason, the premises are vested in himself. [His claim was disallowed, and the lands sold in 1703, to John Cusack.]