|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Loughlin Hickey; Bryan Cahane of Kildeema; Dermot Gorman; John Magrath of Teerovannin
Loughlin Hickey, in his petition, states, that Viscount Clare being indebted and under obligations to his late father Maurice Hickey of Farman, gent, did, by deed of April, 1672, convey to Donagh and Daniel Hickey, in consideration of £150, the lands of Drim, for the term of 99 years, at the yearly rent of 48s. 6d. The lease was witnessed by George Ross, George Blount, Giles Vanderlure, Henry Colpoys, James Hickey, and Roger McNamara. The petition further mentions that part of the lands of Drimgullanagon, containing twenty acres, had been granted, by patent, to one Michael O’Dea, who subsequently conveyed it to petitioner for £30, his deed of conveyance being witnessed by Pierce Creagh, Loghlen Grady, Hugh O’Grady, and Sylvester Hehir. Hickey describes the lands in 1700 as being two-thirds part of it under wood, rocky, and subject to be submerged for half the year, and its value to be only £13 10s. per annum. His signature to the petition is witnessed by Thomas Brown, Daniel Finucane, James Hickey, and Cornelius Gillareagh. He also goes on to state that in 1676, Lord Clare demised to Daniel Hickey of Carrowkeel, and Donogh Hickey of Dromin, gents, the lands of Ballymacahill, and the island of Inishmore, in the parishes of Kilraghtis and Templemaley, for three lives, at the yearly rent of six pounds, the witnesses to the lease being Maurice Connell, Pat. Connell, and Pierce Morris.
Bryan Cahane, gent., declares that, in 1676, Lord Clare demised to him the lands of Kildeema, and Kilkirreene, parish of Kilfearagh, for the lives of himself, of his wife Mary M‘Donnell, and of his son Owen Cahane, at the yearly rent of eleven pounds. James McDonnell was appointed to give him possession as the attorney of Lord Clare, and the lease was witnessed by the same James McDonnell, John Cusack, Robert Gold, and Henry Ivers. Petitioner describes himself as within the articles of Limerick. His petition is witnessed by Mort McMahon, James Considine, Jeremiah Considine, and Cornelius Gillareagh.
Dermot Gorman of Drumellihy, gent., eldest son and heir of Loghlen Gorman of Drumellihy, gent, sets forth that in 1667, Colonel Daniel O’Brien (Lord Clare), demised the two ploughlands of Drumellihy to Loghlen Gorman for the lives of said Dermot, of Daniel Gorman, and of Teige, the second and third sons of lessee, and for three other lives after the death of the survivor of them, at the annual rent of ten pounds. The witnesses to the lease and to the delivery of the seizen, were Wm. Hickman, Chas. Connell, Henry Ivers, James FitzGerald, Daniel Gorman, Teige Gorman, Donogh Casey, Dermot Considine, Edward O’Brien, Teige Dunasome (?) Daniel Lynch, and Murrogh O’Brien. Conor Considine was deputed to give possession as the Viscount’s representative. The petitioner states that he was adjudged within the articles of Limerick, and then adds that the lands are, for the most part, boggy, rough, or mountainous, with a good part arable, and are worth £46 per year. His petition was signed at Ennis in presence of Mort. McMahon, Geo. Stacpool, Dermot Considine, and Cornelius Gillareagh.
John Magrath of Teerovanin, gent., in his petition, states
that in 1684, Redmond Magrath of Derrymore, gent., being owner in fee
of Lecarrow, containing 400 acres, and of Lecarrowgarry, containing 176
acres, all profitable land, situate in the parish of Tulla, did mortgage
them to petitioner for £400. The mortgage deed is witnessed by Nicholas
Magrath, Edward FitzGerald, John Maghee, Robert Magrath, Stephen White,
James Henry Grady, and Denis Hickey. Magrath’s petition is witnessed
by John Cusack, Cornelius Gillareagh, and Thomas Cusack. [His claim was
disallowed, and the lands sold in 1703 to John Cusack.]