Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost


Part I. Topography of Thomond Chapter 4. Ui Caisin

Templemaley Parish; Dr. James Neylan of Ballyallia

There is every reason to believe that the patron of Templemaley is the saint after whom the parish of Kilmaley is called, but who this holy man was, or what his history, no means now exist of ascertaining. His church is in tolerable preservation, is of very plain architecture, and offers no feature of interest as regards its structure or surroundings. No other ancient ecclesiastical building is found in Templemaley parish, but in the townland of Cill-Fiodhâin is an old baptismal font, said to have belonged to a church now no longer existing on the spot. Just near the lunatic asylum is a holy well—the only one in the parish—dedicated to Ingean Baoth, the patroness of Killanaboy parish. Three old castles stood in Templemaley, one at Ballyallia now wholly demolished, another at Drumeen, and a third at Ballycarrol. In 1580 Ballyallia belonged to Dr. James Neylan, Ballycarroll to Conor M‘Clancy, but no account remains of the owner of Drummeen in that year, assuming that it had then been erected. The Annals of the Four Masters contain a reference to this James Neylan in these words: “A.D. 1599. Professor O’Niallian viz. James, the son of Donald, who was the son of Auliffe, son of Donogh O’Niallain, who had kept a house of open hospitality, died in the month of October at Baille-ui-Aillé, in the barony of Quincé, in the county of Clare.” In Sir John Perrott’s composition deed of 17th August 1585, he is mentioned as a man of constant good intentions towards the English, and on that account is to have the castle of Ballyallia and two quarters of land free as well from Crown rent, as from the Earl of Thomond’s rent.

 

Previous

Main

Next