|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
No means exist of learning the derivation of the name of this parish. Its old church is totally ruined, the present Protestant place of worship being built on its site. A large graveyard adjoins it. On a stone inserted into the wall is the following inscription:
“Within this burial place lyes interred the body of George Ross, Esq., who was the founder thereof. He died the 19th of May 1700, in the 79th year of his age. This monument was erected the same year by his kinsman, Mr. Robert Harrison.”
There is reason to believe that this parish was dedicated to a saint named Sgrévaun, but no allusion is made to him in the Irish Martyrologies. A little way from the church is a recess in a cliff beside the stream; it is designated Sgrevaun’s bed. On the opposite side are two wells, collectively called Tobar Sgrevain, at which patterns were held on the 10th of September. A small burial-ground for children exists at Gortygeheen, and another holy well and children’s burial-ground at Toberaviddaun. At Lisheen also is a small cemetery for children called Cill Aodha. According to the ancient territorial distribution of Thomond, the parish of Clondagad was situate in the district of Corcabaskin East, but since the settlement made by the English it has formed part of the barony of Islands. In 1580 the castle of Cragbrien in this parish, belonged to Conor MacGillareagh, now anglicised Gallery,  and that of Ballycorick, Beal-atha-an-comruith (the month [recte mouth] of the confluence of the waters) to Teige O’Brien, son of Conor, first Earl of Thomond, and ancestor of the O’Briens of Ballycorick.