|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
The proprietors of this territory, previously to the
year 1318, were the O’Eichtigherns, now Anglicised Ahern. It appears
from MacNamara’s Rental that it comprised the parish of Kilfinaghta
and part of the district lying between that parish and the city of Limerick.
The name of Ui Cearnaigh is still locally preserved in that of the river
Ogarney, which passes through Sixmilebridge, and falls into the Shannon
near Bunratty. The Ogarney flows through the midst of the district, from
the castle of Enaghoflinn to that of Rossmanagher. After that the river
forms the boundary between Ui Ainmire and Tradraighe. It was an ancestor
of O’Ahern, an ancient chief of this territory, who granted to St.
Munchin the Island of Inis Sibtond, now the King’s Island, near
Limerick. It does not appear that all the country reaching from Limerick
to Kilmurry-na-gaull was included in the lands of the Ui Cearnaigh, since
we have the authority of O’Heerin for placing two other chieftains
in this district namely, the Ui Ainmire and Ui Sedna. The probability
is that the territory of Ui Cearnaigh extended from the mountain of Sliabh
Oighidh-an-Righ or Glennagross mountain to the parish of Kilmurry, and
that the country stretching thence to the Shannon was divided between
the Ui Ainmire and the Ui Sedna.