Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost

Part I. Topography of Thomond Chapter 7. Corcomroe

Kilshanny Parish

Several saints of the name of Seanach are found in the Irish calendars; which of them is the patron of this parish it is not possible to determine. Mention is made of a St. Cuana of Kilchuana, alias Kilshanny, who is supposed to have died in A.D. 650, and whose bell is yet preserved.[40] The church of Kilshanny is in a good state of preservation. At the distance of twenty perches from it is a holy well dedicated to St. Augustine, where a pattern is still held on the 28th of August. In the townland of Ballymacravan exists another holy well, called Tobar-mac-ravan, where stations continue to be performed. The castle of Bel-atha-an Gobhan.[41] (the mouth of the Smith’s ford, now called Smithstown), stands in this parish, and is in excellent condition. It belonged in 1580 to Teige MacMurrogh O’Brien. Three cahers, none of which merit particular notice, are seen in the parish of Kilshanny. By an Inquisition taken on the 16th of January, twenty-seventh year of Elizabeth, it was found that Turlogh O’Brien of Smithstown died seized of the monastery of Kilshanny, with its appurtenances and five quarters of land.[42] Subsequently it was granted, with all its lands, mills, and fisheries, to Robert Hickman.[43] By a previous Inquisition, taken 26th July, 1578, it was found that Teige, son of Murrogh O’Brien, late of Smithstown, was possessed of that castle and the adjoining watermill, together with the castle and village of Boneill, at the time of his death, in December, 1577; that his son, Turlogh, aged seven years, was his heir; and that his widow, More, was managing the property for her son. Kilshanny church had a small monastery attached to it, an offshoot of the great Cistercian house of Corcomroe, and a considerable part of the parish was abbey land belonging to the Cistercians.