|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
|The History and Topography of the County of Clare by James Frost|
Kilseily Parish; Family of Bridgeman
It is impossible to decide which of the Irish saints this parish is dedicated to. In the Martyrologies we find mention made of several holy men of the name of Siadhal. At the date of February 12th there is Siadhal, son of Luath, bishop of Dublin, A.D. 785; and again, at March 8th, we discover another Siadhal of Ceann locha, in the county Mayo, whose death occurred in 794. The old church of Kilseily is in good preservation, but not of great antiquity. A large graveyard surrounds it, and a holy well adjoining is dedicated to Seily. The body of the church contains a monument of the family of Bridgeman. The inscription on this tomb reads as follows:—
“This monument was erected by Henry Bridgeman Esq. and by Catherine Bridgeman alias St. John, his wife, daughter of the Honorable Colonel Thomas St. John, of St. Johnstown in the county of Tipperary, in memory of Wm. Bridgeman, Esq., and Elinor Bridgeman alias Wall his wife, and her father, James Wall of Coolenemucky, Esq.; as also of the said Henry’s brothers William, Winter, and Garrett; and sisters, Catherine, Mary, and Anne, who are all here interred; and his former wife, Elizabeth Bridgeman alias Ivers, and for their posterities use. Gloria in excelsis Deo, &c. Anno Domini, 1714.
This family always identified itself in politics with its Catholic neighbours, and one of its members, Mr. Hewitt Bridgeman, long represented Ennis in Parliament.
In the parish of Kilseily is found a townland named Kilmoculla.
It is so designated after St. Mochuille, whose anniversary occurs on the
12th of June.
No trace of his church remains, but that an ancient church and burial
ground existed at Kilmoculla is manifest from an inspection of the place.
This saint was held in great respect, as is proved by the circumstance
that throughout the barony of Tulla several holy wells are found dedicated
to him. In Kilseily parish there are two, while only one commemorates
Saint Seily. One castle existed in the parish, that of Ballykelly; under
the name of Castle Callogh it belonged in 1580 to Donogh son of Conor