|Amenities, General Iinformation
& Accommodation, Towns and Villages (Other
Islands, Parish: Kilmaley,
Inch & Connolly, Population:
Location and Brief Description:
Kilmaley parish comprises three churches, five N. Schools, a doctor’s
residence, creamery, two licensed houses, two post offices - no telephone
or telegraph. Two other small shops. Connolly is the only hamlet in
this extensive parish. It has a Gardá Barracks, with telephone
which has no connection with adjoining P.O. There are a R.C. Church,
N. School, teachers residence, pub, and a few other houses. Kilmaley
has a church, two curate residence, presbetary, creamery and M.O. Post
Office. Inch has a R.C. Church and N. School. Connolly is 9 miles from
Ennis, Kilmaley 6 from Ennis and Inch 4 miles from Ennis.
Nearest station: Ennis
Distance: Kilmaley 6 miles, Connolly 9 miles, Inch 4 miles
Public lighting by—Electricity? None Gas?
Churches and Services
|Connolly R.C. Church
|Kilmaley R.C. Church
||8.30 and 11.00 O.T.
|Inch R.C. Church
There are 2208 R. Catholics at present in parish - only 2 non Catholics.
In 1838 there were 5165 Catholics in parish - only 35 non Catholics.
Location of Post Office: A letter office at Connolly. A letter
and M.O. office Kilmaley.
Business (? M.O., Telegraph, Telephone): No Telephone etc.
M.O. office at Kilmaley.
Important Public Buildings
(Give brief notes on architectural features)
Kilmaley R.C. Church - a large, cruciform, well lighted gothic 100
year building. Very neat, and exceptionally wide on the inside. Not
neat looking on outside. A triangular yard (with three entrance gates)
enclose this palm tree surrounded church.
Connolly R.C. Church - a nice, cut stone, bright church.
Inch R.C. Church - a nice, cut stone, bright church.
Nearest Ennis - 4 miles from Inch, 6 miles from Kilmaley, 9 miles
Fairs and Markets; Half-Holiday
Monthly Fairs and Markets: None - Connolly had a fair which
lapsed some years ago. No planning for revival.
Weekly Market Day: None
No hotels, guest, boarding houses, or restaurants, exist in above parish.
There are two licensed houses - one in Connolly, another in Lisroe,
and a couple of small shops.
None of above premises cater in any way for tourists at the present
time. There is no post war planning. There is really nothing to attract
tourists to this parish.
|Date: August 12th, 1943
(Signed): Ralph Lucas