|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New
The Annals of Kilfenora or Ye Citie of the Crosses by Charles Ffrench Blake-Forster
The Annals: 1660-1796
1660-The Rev Samuel Pullen, D.D. of the University of Dublin, Chaplain to James Butler, Marquis (afterwards Duke) of Ormonde, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, etc etc, was born at Ripley, Yorkshire, in 1598. He was educated at Cambridge. He afterwards came to Ireland and was made Chancellor of Cashel and Dean of Clonfert. On the breaking out of the rebellion in 1641, he was plundered of all his goods at Cashel, where he then resided; but was afterwards protected and most hospitably entertained by a Jesuit (the Rev James Saul, or Salle). After some time, however, being obliged to fly in order to avoid the vengeance of the rebels, he was patronised by the Earl of Oxford, who appointed him his domestic chaplain. On the Restoration of Charles II, he was strongly recommended to that Monarch, by the Duke of Ormonde. Accordingly on the 27th January this year, he was consecrated in St Patrick’s Cathedral Dublin, Archibishop of Tuam, and also held the See of “Fenabore”, otherwise Kilfenora commendum.
1667-This year the Rev Laughlin Magher received Holy
Orders at “Roven” in France, from Dr Daniel Andrews, Catholic
Bishop of Kilfenora. He was appointed parish priest of Ullard, county
of Caterlogh (now county of Carlow), his securities being Morgan Kavanagh,
Esq., of Borris in said county, in £50, and Edmund Byrne, of Curranellan
in said county, gentlemen, also in £50. In the return made to the
government, Dr Andrews is styled “Dnl Andreas, Titr. Bishop of Fenabore”.
1669-This year the Rev Edward Comeford received Holy Orders at “Roan” in France, from Dr Andrew Lynch, Bishop of Fenabore or Kilfenora. He was appointed parish priest of Thurles, county of Tipperary. According to a “List of the names of the Popish Parish Priests as they were Register’d at a General sessions of the Pease held, for the said county at Nenagh, the 11th day of July, 1704, and were since Return’d up to the Council Office in Dublin, pursuant to a Clause in the late Act of Parliament, Intituled, An Act for Registering the Popish Clergy”.
1671-It appears by a pamphlet published in Dublin in 1705, entitled “A list of the names of the Papish Parish Priests throughout the several counties in the Kingdom of Ireland” etc., that the Rev William O’Daly was in that year the Catholic parish priest of Kilfenora, Kiltobaraght, and Nooghavaile. The penal laws being then in force, all information that could be obtained about the priests was printed, and those who were permitted to reside in the country were regarded with suspicion by the Government. According to the return then made, the Rev O’Daly resided in Ballykinvaraga; was 52 years of age; received Holy Orders in 1671, at Cloinbar, county of Galway from James Lynch, Archbishop of Tuam, and his securities, for such were then required, were James Davoren of Lisdoonvarna, gentleman, and Charles McDonough, of Ballykeal, gentleman.
1675-This year the Rev Maurice Gallagher received Holy orders at “Roane” in France, from Dr Andrew Lynch, “Titular Bishop of Fenabore in Ireland”. He was afterwards appointed parish priest of Kilfergus and Loghill, in the county of Limerick.
1676-This year the Rev William Ronan received Holy Orders at “Roan” in France, from Dr Andrew Lynch, Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish priest of Dromin and Alacky, county of Limerick.
1677-This year the Rev Mortagh Egan received Holy Orders in the chapel of Oranmore, county of Galway, from Dr Andrew Lynch, Bishop of Kilfenora. He was appointed Parish Priest of Clooney and Kilmaniheene, county of Clare, his securities being Walter Ilooyne of Tullamore, gentleman, and Dermot O’Connor of Tyrlabeah.
This year also the Rev Edmond Grady received Holy Orders at Cragiclara from the Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish Priest of Inishaultragh and Cloonrisk, county of Galway, Tomgrany and Moynoe, County of Clare, his securities being John Ringrose of Moynoe and James Bouchier, of Cappakinne, gentleman. The Rev John O’Tully received Holy Orders at “Creggeclara” from the Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish Priest of “Killora, Killeeny and Killogillin” in the county of Galway.
The Rev John Roddy received Holy Orders in the Catholic Chapel of Oranmore, county of Galway, from the Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish Priest of Meeliek, County of Mayo. His securities were Thomas Browne, of Kiltecalla and Myles Bourke of Belahugh, gentleman.
The Rev Byran Brenane received Holy Orders at Oranmore from the Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish Priest of Killmacteige, county of Sligo. His securities were Bartholomew Hart, of Banady, and Denis M’Alster, of Coolracell.
1678-Daniel Andrews, the Catholic Bishop, is retained this year in the Catholic Registry as still holding the diocese of Kilfenora, but this could not have been the case as it is already shown in the above paragraph that Dr Andrew Lynch was the Catholic Bishop of Kilfenora from 1669. (Refer to that year).
This year the Rev Conor O’Brien received Holy Orders in the Catholic Chapel of Ennistymon, from Dr Andrew Lynch, Bishop of Kilfenora. He was appointed Parish Priest of Kilshanny and Killaspugtenane, county of Clare, his securities being James Davoren of Lisdoonvarna, and Walter Huoyne of Tullamore, gentlemen.
1679-This year the Rev Thady O’Brien received Holy Orders at Innisdunane, county of Clare, from Dr Andrew Lynch, Bishop of Kilfenora. He was afterwards appointed Parish Priest of Stradbally and Kellengartuffe, county of Limerick.
1724-This year His Holiness Pope Innocent XII died, and was succeeded in the chair of St Peter by Benedict XIII. The writer has now in his possession a small copper coin issued in the reign of the last Pontiff. It was found some years ago at Kilfenora, and is about the size of a British shilling. On one side is the representation of the head of St Peter, with an inscription partly obliterated. However the latter part is quite legible and is PETCVS. A.S. On the other side is an escutcheon the bearings of which are obliterated, but as a whole is surmounted by the Keys and Tiara. It was probably the Arms of the Sovereign Pontiff and the Papal States quarterly of four. The inscription is—Bened. XIII. p.m. but there is no date on either side. The numerous works of Benedict XIII, including his sermons which were written before his elevation to the Pontificate, were published at Rome in 1728.
1741-The Protestant Diocese of Kilfenora, which has been united to the Archiepiscopal See of Tuam since 1660, was united to Clonfert in this year.
1750-James O’Daly the Catholic Bishop of Kilfenora, died when the diocese of Kilfenora was united by a Pull of Pope Benedict XIV (Cardinal Prospero Lambertini of Bologna) to the diocese of Kilmacduach, in the county of Galway. Doctor O’Daly had formerly been a member of the Hermits of St Augustine, and on his death the government of both Sees vested in the hands of Doctor Peter Killikelly, who had been Bishop of Killmacduach from the year 1747.
1752-The Protestant Diocese of Kilfenora which had been united to Clonfert since 1741, was in this year united to that of Killaloe, which union still exists.
1795-On the 29th of June the Right Reverend Laurence Arthur Nihil, D.D., died aged 69 years, and was interred in Kilfenora Cathedral, where a plain slab with a Latin inscription marks his last resting-place.
I find that his lordship was succeeded as Bishop of Killmacduadh and Kilfenora by the Right Rev. Dr Kirwan, but I have as yet been unable to learn the date of his consecration. Perhaps it took place this year.
1796-About the commencement of the month of January of this year, a great storm prevailed, which damaged mostly all the houses in Kilfenora and destroyed a considerable amount of property throughout the country. I have read in the “Connaught Journal” or “Galway Advertiser” of Monday, January the 26th that a good deal of property was destroyed in the county of Galway by this storm, and that in the town the houses at the Spanish Parade, Back Street, and Quay Street were much damaged, and ground storeys being entirely inundated, and the property of the Claddagh fishermen mostly all carried away by the flood. The thunder and lightning which accompanied the storm lasted for several days, and many ships were lost at sea, some been dashed to pieces off the stupendous Cliffs of Moher, while others were driven ashore at Ballyvaughan.