Lack School - 1863 to 1975

A History of the School and its Pupils
by James Hehir

«Contents

15. Industry

(d) Lack Quarry

Lack Quarry - note the school chimney in background

Lack Quarry - note the school chimney in background

Lack quarry was located a couple of hundred metres on the Ballynacally side of the school. It was used by Clare County Council to provide the stone necessary to maintain the local roads, and in particular, to upgrade the Lissycasey/Kildysart road in the mid 1950s.

It was a source of constant interest to the male pupils of the school given the range of machinery involved such as compressors, steam rollers, stone crushers, dumpers and a range of lorries of various sizes. It was common for some of the pupils to know all the drivers on first name terms and to grade the quality of their driving capability.

The blasting of the quarry was a major event in the school calendar. It was usually carried out during school hours. The blast was usually preceded by a visit from the local garda who advised the teachers and pupils of the blast and the procedures to be followed until the all clear signal was given. The blast was a rather frightening event. It usually shook the school and sent a shower of stone on to the roof, school yard and surrounding fields. The damage usually consisted of a few broken slates and window panes. The pupils awaited the next break eagerly in order to survey the damage first hand and to observe the new shape to the quarry.

County Council operations ceased in the quarry in the late 1950s.