Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Clare Abbey

  1. Situation; Name; Archdall’s notice of; Great battle fought there in 1278 by Donell, son of Teige Caoluiske O’Brien, accompanied by the two septs of O’Coilen (Clann Cuilein) with the tribe of Fearmaic and Owney against Mahon O’Brien who was defeated with great slaughter; It is stated in “Wars of Thomond” that no battle was fought on that occasion, but that the captives of the Kenel Dungaile were murdered; Old Abbey; Was founded by Donald O’Brien, the great King of Limerick who appointed Donatus Abbot and richly endowed it; His ancient charter exemplified there in 1461 by Thady, Bishop of Killaloe; Granted by King Hen. VIII in 1543 to the Baron of Ibrickan; Inquisition of time of Elizabeth rel. to, quoted; Sir Donall O’Bryan of Inistymon Co. Clare seized in fee of a moiety of all the tithes belonging to it; Was granted in fee to Donagh Earl of Thomond in 1620. And a new grant made in 1661 to Henry, Earl of Thomond; Notice of the ruins and burial ground.

  2. References to Clare from Annals of IV. Mast.; Clonroade, Bunratty and Clar-mor (Clare) the chief towns of Thomond in 1558; Magh O’mBracaintown; Earl of Thomond refused to attend a court held in Monastery of Ennis in 1570 called by proclamation of the President of the Province of Connaught; Thomond not styled “county” by the Annalists down to 1576, at which period it was probably first made into shire ground, the Dalcassian Chiefs having then agreed to hold their lands of the Crown of England; Copy of the Deed of Settlement in possession of Michael Finucane Esq. of Ennistimon House in Co. Clare; Clar-More (now the Town of Clare); The Co. of Clare named from it and not from Sir Richard de Clare who was killed in battle of Dysert O’Dea; Conmaicne Cuile Tolaigh.

  3. Old Abbey; Killowe old Church and burial ground called in Irish Cill-Lugha (Lugha’s Church); Monument of the Stamer family in side of do.; Saint Lugh mentioned in Irish Calendar as venerated on 16th June and a St. Lugna, son of Lugh, on 1st July; Clare Castle and Island McGrath Castle mentioned in list of castles of Thomond preserved in MS. Trin. Col. Dub. – the former as belonging to Earl of Thomond and the latter to Mac Craigh.


Chapter 41


Chapter 43