Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Clooney [Corcomroe] & Inis Cathaig Island

  1. Situation and name; Old Church; Burial ground attached; Tobar Lonain (St. Lonan’s Well) at which Stations are performed S.W. of Church; Killeenach (Cill-Eidhnach) small burial ground; Cill-Mhuchna burial ground for strangers and children in Moaghna; Tobar Mooghna, Holy Well frequented by persons afflicted with sore eyes; Glan Castle (old); Stated in list of Castles in MS. Trin. Col. Dub. to have been possessed by Sir Donnell (O’Brien) of Glan; Gleann-Meic-Concubar-na-Coille (the Glen of the son of Conor of the Wood) mentioned in Hardiman’s Irish Deeds, probably the Glan in which the Castle stands; Cuilleanach, Cathair-Sheirkin-Muidhe-na-n-Enoch, Tir-Leithen, Baile-in-Coilinna & Cluain (Townlands mentioned in Hardiman’s Irish Deeds?).

  2. Inis Cathaigh Island; Now barbarously called Scattery Island (situation of); Damliag (old Church) & Round Tower on do.

Full description of Inis Cathaigh Island KR5, KR6, KR7, KR8, KR9


Chapter 19


Chapter 21