Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Drumcliff

  1. Situation; Not separated from Kilmaily Parish in the engraved map from Down Survey which gives both Parishes under the name of Drumkleeve; Hy-Cormaic, the country so called – included in Kilmaly Ph.; Situation of; Old Church.

  2. Round tower (remains of) called in Irish Clogas Dromacleibh, N. of Church; Clonroad (Cluain Ramhfhada) which became the head residence of the O’Briens at an early period; Donogh Carbreagh O’Brien stated in Wars of Torlogh to have erected therein a princely palace of a circular form; Conor na Siudane, son of Donogh Carbreagh, stated in same document to have been the first who erected a Longphort of earth at Cluain Ramhfhada; Site of the earthen fortress still indistinctly traceable in a field to southeast of Clonroad Bridge; O’Brien stated traditionally to have also had a stone castle, which stood near the Bridge of Clonroad; Extract rel. to do. from Annals of IV. Masters; Ennis called in same Annals ad. ann. 1460 by the name Inis Chluana Ramhfhada – and ad. ann. 1540 the Monastery of Ennis styled the Monastery of Cluain Ramhfhoda; Ruins of the Abbey still to be seen; Its history contained in Archdall’s Mon. Hib. and Annals of IV. Masters; St. Kieran’s Well in Ballysoppagh; Holy Well in Croaghaun, dedicated to St. Inneenboy, Patroness of the Dalcassians;

Other references to Drumcliff Parish in the Ordnance Survey Letters


Chapter 34


Chapter 36