| X. Hy
The proprietor of this Territory up to the year 1318
was O’Heichtighern, now anglicisied Ahern. It appears from
Mac Namara’s rental, published by Mr. Hardiman in the Transactions
of the Royal Irish Academy, that it comprised the Parish of Kilfinaghty
and more of the district lying between that Parish and the City
of Limerick. The name of this Territory is still locally preserved
in that of the River Ogarney which flows through Six Mile Bridge
and falls into the Shannon near Bunratty. This river flows through
the middle of the Territory of Hy-Cearnaigh from near the Castle
of Enaghofline to near that of Rosmanagher after passing which
it forms the boundary between Hy-Cearnaigh and Tradree.
Map of Hy Cearnaigh and Hy-Ainmire
Click on the map for larger version
It was the ancestor of O’Ahern, the ancient Chief of this Territory,
that granted the Island of Inis Sibtond, now the King’s Island in the
City of Limerick, to Saint Munchin, but still it does not appear that all the
Country extending from Limerick to the Parish of Kilmurry Nagaull was included
in the Territory of Hy-Cearnaigh, for we have the authority of O’Heerin
for placing two other Chieftains in this district, viz., Hy-Ainmire and Hy-Sedna.
The probability is that the Territory of Hy-Kearny extended from the Mountain
of Sliabh Oigheadha an Righ or Glennagross Mountain to the Parish of Kilmurry
Nagaul, and that the district extending thence to the Shannon was divided between
the Hy-Ainmire and Hy-Sedna.