Situation and Name; Old Church; Burial ground; Teampull-an-naonmhar-naomh
(Church of the Nine Saints) Old Church in Ross; Grave of the Nine Saints,
south of Church; Kilbeaha and Kilcluither old burial grounds.
Cape Lear or Loop Head (recté Leap Head); Situation; Always
called in Irish Ceann Leime (Leap Head) or Leim-Chonchulainn (Cuchulann’s
Leap); Tradition respecting do.; Tonn-Mhal (Wave of Mal); Quotation
rel. to it, from an Irish poem addressed by John Hoare to Chas. Keane
of Kildimo; Similar waves on coast of Ireland of which there are
historical notices. Tonn-Cliodhua in Co Cork called after Cliodhua,
Dearg-Duallach, the musician of Manannan Mac Lir who was drowned
there; Tonn Rudhraidhe on northeast coast of Ireland, so called from
one of the Firbolgs who lost his life there; Tonn Tuaithe (now called
Mac Swine’s gun) at Ballyshannon, so called from the district
named Tuatha in that country, from which Mac Sweeny was surnamed Na-Thuath.
Ancient fort about a mile
within the point of Leap-Head; Caher-Crochan, built of stone on
the North side; Cathir-Sall, also of stone; Ard
(foundation of a small stone cahir); Dun-Daithlionn – built
of earth; Origin of the cahers and dun attempted to be explained
Comyn in his romantic tale entitled Adventures of Furrolbh-Mac
Starain and his three sons; Creach-Oilean near Liscanor; Aile-an-Triuir
so called from which, as stated in the romance, the sons of Turrolbh
threw themselves into the sea; Poll-na-Peiste (Hole of the Serpent)
a cave at bottom of the cliff; why so called.
Leap Head as given by Michael
Brennan of County Roscommon, in an Irish poem written on the River
Shannon in 1794 and by Theophilus
in a note to the Tale of Deirdre, published in Transactions of
R. I. Academy in 1808; Bullann-na-Leime, the Little Island so called
Cuchulan is said to have leaped from Leap Head; Remark of Michael
Brennan on the derivation of the last name.
Tobar-Cuain, holy well at
which devotions are performed for the cure of sore eyes near the
burial ground in Kiltrillig; St.
Well in Kilclogher frequented by a few devotees; List of places
in the Parish mentioned in Hardiman’s Irish Deeds; Dun-Sumayn
(now Ciochan Sumain) old Castle (site of) which belonged to Torlogh
Mahon mentioned in list of castles preserved in MS. Lib. Trin.