Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Kilconry (a)

This small Parish forming the southern extremity of the Barony of Lower Bunratty is bounded on the north by the Parish of Kilmaleery; on the east by Clonloaghan and Drumline; on the south by the River Shannon, and on the west by the River Fergus, where it mingles with the Shannon.

The name of this Parish is in the original language Cill Chonaire, but now locally pronounced Cill Chomhaire, the proper name Conaire being so pronounced in all the topographical names into which it enters throughout this County, and also in Cluain Conaire in the County of Kildare on the boundary of the ancient Meath. The name signifies the Cluain or Bog Island of Conry, but no historical monument has been found to shew who he was or when he flourished. It is possible that he may have been the Patron Saint of the Parish, but there is no monument or tradition near the Church nor in any part of the Parish, from which this could be made certain.

The old Church called Kilconry is in a tolerable state of preservation and measures fifty five feet seven inches in length and seventeen feet nine inches in breadth on the inside. The west gable contains no feature and has a large breach in the middle but not extending to the top. The south wall contains a doorway placed at the distance of twelve feet ten inches from the west gable, and measuring on the inside eight feet in height and five feet one inch in width but it is disfigured and nearly destroyed on the outside. At the distance of two feet from the east gable there is a window measuring on the inside four feet two inches in height and two feet one inch in breadth, and on the outside three feet seven inches in height and five and a half inches in breadth. It is pointed on the outside and flat arched at the head on the inside. The east gable contains a window which is rectangular headed inside and outside and divided into two divisions which are arrow headed. It measures on the inside five feet ten inches in height and three feet six inches in width, and on the outside four feet ten inches in height and one foot seven inches in width, of which the mullion is seven inches. The north wall is featureless. The side walls are about ten feet high and two feet eight inches thick.

The Island of Fídh-Inis (Insula Sylvae) situated in the mouth of the Fergus opposite this Parish and belonging to it. This is certainly the Fidh-Inis on which St. Senanus built a Church (according to his life published by Colgan) but there is neither Church nor graveyard on it at present nor a tradition of the former existence of either. The only ruin at present on this island is a small fragment of a Castle. This Castle is mentioned in the College List as the Castle of Fynis, belonging to Brien na Foirry (Brian na Foraire - O’Brien?)

Rineanny, the southern extremity of this Parish, is the Rinn Eanaigh mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters at the year 1564. “Ó Rinn Eanaigh co Scairbh, a Rinnannia usque ad Scarvam.”