Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Killilagh

  1. Situation & Name; St. Brecan’s Well; Old Church; Grave yard in which it is situated.

  2. Tuamullin (old Church in); Tuomolyn (Tuamullin) mentioned in College list of Castles of Thomond as the residence of Conogher Maglanchy; Knockefyn (Knockfin) mentioned in same list as the residence of Teige Mac Morogh (O’Brien); in an Irish Deed passed by the Sliocht Melachlin O’Loughlin to Earl of Thomond in 1588 and lately found in Dublin; Oghtdara old Church; Doonagore (old Castle of) lately repaired by Counsellor Gore from whose ancestors it is erroneously supposed to have derived its name; Mentioned in list of Castles of Thomond preserved in Trin. Col. as belonging to Sir Donell O’Brien; Small hill in same Townland on summit of which there was a Doon which is now completely effaced; Dun Macfelim and Ballynalacken old Castles both mentioned in College list as belonging to Teige Mac Morrogh O’Brien; Liosses and Cahers, dwellings of the ancient Irish so called; List of these in this Ph.; Caher Maclancy the seat of the family of Mac Clanchy, Brehons of Thomond; Cromlech called Leaba Dhiarmada agus Ghraine (Dermot and Graina’s Bed) in Cahermacrusheen; Laght-Murreda (Margaret’s Monument) site of a sepulchral monument so called in the Townland to which it gives name.

Other references to Killilagh Parish in the Ordnance Survey Letters:



Chapter 20


Chapter 22