|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839
Parish of Kilmacdooaun (b)
Of the old Church of Kill-Mac-a-Dubhain the east gable and twenty five feet of the side walls attached to it only remain, all to the full original height. There is a semi-cirircular window in the south side thirteen feet from the east gable, measuring eight feet three inches high and five feet three inches wide on the inside and five and a half feet in height and eleven inches in breadth on the outside. The window in the east gable is pointed, measuring seven feet four inches in breadth and about twelve feet in height on the inside, and nine feet eight inches in height and one foot nine inches in breadth on the outside. The sides perforated with holes for the reception of bars. The side walls are about sixteen feet high and three feet thick, built of large stones, but not of apparent antiquity. It measured twenty three feet eight inches in breadth. A large burying ground attached. There is a Holy Well named after Mac-A-Dubhain about half a furlong to the northwest of the Church and much frequented for the cure of sore eyes.
There is a Holy Well in the Townland of Ballynagun called St. Margaret’s Well, at which devotions are still performed.
There is another Holy Well in the Townland of Kil-Mac-A-Dubhain dedicated to the Virgin Mary, at which Stations still continue to be performed.
There is another Holy Well in the Townland of Carhoo, a little to the west of Cooraclare Village, dedicated to Saint Seanan at which Stations continue still to be performed.
There is another Holy Well dedicated to the Virgin Mary in the Townland of Drummelahy West by, at which Stations continue to be performed still.