|Clare County Library||
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice
Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839
Parish of Kilmihil (b)
About one hundred yards to the northeast of this Church is a Holy Well dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. It is surrounded by a wall four feet in height and two feet six inches in thickness, which looks older than any part of the Church.
In the Townland of Kiltoomper in this Parish there is another Holy Well dedicated to the King of the Sabbath called Tobar Righ an Domhnaigh, at which Stations are performed on every Sunday.
I cannot find any Castle in Mac Mahon’s Country called Knockalough mentioned in the College List, and am inclined to suppose that this Castle had originally another name.
The castles mentioned in the list as in the Barony of Clonderalaw are :-
All these places are well known excepting Dangan Myburke, which is unknown, unless it be Knockalough.
In the Townland of Killathoomper in this Parish, is a grave called by the natives a Giant’s Grave. Tradition says that Thoomper was a Danish Chief who was pursued by the Dalcassians from Cahermurroghoo and killed on this spot, where they buried him.
About half a mile southwest of the Church of Kilmihil, on a piece of land called Termnroe, are two standing stones called Liagauns. They are seven feet four inches high and exhibit no ornament whatever. A small piece of land is, out of veneration for the spot, left uncultivated around them, though they are situated in the middle of a cultivated field.
In this Parish is situated the Townland of Cathair Murchadha, now Cahermurphy, which is mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters at the year 1600:-
O’Donnell’s people traversed, burned and plundered the district from Craig Ui Chiardubhain in the lower part of the Territory of the Islands (now the Barony of Islands) to Cathair Murchadha in West (East) Corca Baiscinn, and as far as the gates of Kilmurry and the Town of Rush (now Kilrush).