Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Kilmurry Ibrickan

  1. Situation & Name; Old Church.

  2. Holy Well dedicated to our Blessed Lady N. of do.; Troma Castle; Stated to have belonged to the Clan Teige O’Brien of Aran in a document in MS. Lib. Trin. Col. Dub. and also in Dr. O’Brien’s Dictionary; Mentioned in Annals of Inisfallen and Wars of Torlogh; Notice of the O’Briens of Aran by Dr. O’Brien; John O’Brien of Clontis in Co. Limerick Esq. the direct Chief of the family; Copy of the address presented in their favour to Queen Elizabeth by the Mayor & Sheriffs of Galway, in his possession; Inis Caerach or Mutton Island, in which the great Saint Senanus founded an Oratory; Extracts from Colgan relative to; Site of St. Senanus’s Church on do.; Extract from Annals of IV. Masters relative to; Was divided into three parts by an earthquake; Its situation pointed out by Connell Mageoghegan in his translation of the Annals of Clonmacnoise.

  3. Fennor, Dunogan, Caherrush & Knockanalaban old Castles; Forts & Holy Wells in the Ph.; Oilean a Mhatail Island (situation of); Celebrated by Michael Cummin (Comyn) in his Romantic story entitled “Adventures of Turill, the son of Starno & his three sons”; Matal said by him to have been the name of a wild boar which infested the Callen Mountain and was killed by the sons of Turill on this island; Dubh-loch, a loch celebrated in same romance and also in life of Saint Senanus as the place into which the Saint banished the monster of Inis Cathaith; The monster stated by Cummin to have been killed by the sons of the Dane Turill; Moyglass - where Andrew Mac Curtin the poet lived about 1730 when he addressed a poem to the shade of Don of the Dough or sand-banks; Extract from the poem.



Chapter 24


Chapter 26