Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Kilnaboy (k)

The Bothar-na-Mac-Riogh, or the Road of the Sons of the Kings, mentioned above, is that which now passes from Corofin to Kilnaboy, meeting the gate of Inchiquin about half way between the former and Kilnaboy Church. That this is the road here mentioned is well proved by the following passage from the Wars of Torlogh, Ordnance Survey Copy, pages 417 and 555.

In describing the march of Dermod O’Brien, the son of Torlogh, in Anno 1317, against his cousins, the sons of Brian Ruadh, the following localities occur. The army had their rendezvous at Ruadhan, near Port, the native place of the Master of the Rolls, Sir Michael O’Loughlin, and they set out (towards Burren) from Ruan, thro’ Beárna-an-Chaillin (not identified) to the Leacht (monument) of O’Loughlin’s daughter, (not identified) leaving Tully O’Dea on the left, to Loch Beasgnatan, to Caraidh-Mac-Amboirion, to the opening of Bothar-na-Mac-Riogh and over Mullach-gaoil (the hill immediately to the west of Kilnaboy) etc., etc.

Now Loch Beasgnatan, tho’ not remembered, has been clearly identified by us. It lies at the northeast extremity of the temporary Lake of Corofin, immediately where the road crosses from Tully O’Dea to Kells, and the Caraidh, or weir or causeway of Mac Boirionn, is the bridge over the River Fergus between the Lake of Beasgnatan and Kells, the road continuing from that to Corofin, by the gate of Inchiquin, to Cill-Inghine-Bhaoith and to Mullach Gaoil towards the north to the Abbey of Corcumroe, etc.

And at page 555 same year, on the return of the same army from the Battle of the Abbey of Corcamroe to their own country in the eastern part of the County, they passed to Bothar-na-Mac-Riogh where they were opposed by Mahon O’Brien (of Inchiquin) but allowed to pass afterwards without Battle. This is sufficient at present to show the identity of Bothar-na-Mac-Riogh and the other historical localities in the neighbourhood, all of which will be made to appear hereafter in a more definite and tangible manner.