Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Kilnaboy (b)

The walls of the Church of Killinaboy remains in full preservation still. It measures sixty two feet eight inches in length and twenty feet three inches in breadth. There is a circular doorway in the south side thirteen and a half feet from west gable, measuring seven feet nine inches by four feet and having the representation of a dwarf or stunted man on a stone over it in front. There are two windows in the same side about eight feet high and four wide. There is a window in the east gable, of a flat circular form at top inside, where it is about eleven feet high and seven feet three inches wide, pointed outside and divided into compartments by mullions of cut stone.

“Aongus Ceannaitin, son of Cormac Cos, from whom are the Clan Hefernan and Neachtan, and the daughter of Baoith, and the daughter of Gunna, son of Ailioll.” - Duald Mc Firbis, page 637.

No part of this Church appears to be older than the 14th century except the west gable, which appears to be as old as the 11th century, and there is a tradition here that the whole of this Church except the west gable was battered down by Cromwell’s forces and subsequently rebuilt by the O’Briens of Inchiquin. his wife. Orate provis laus Deo.” There is a circular low archway of cut stone in the north wall (at the ground) near east gable, which tradition says was the entrance to the family sepulchral vault of O’Quin, which was inside, but of which no vestige remains now.

Window in the East Gable of the Church of Kilnaboy
There is a pointed niche in the side wall near the above little arch, the oldest monument in the Church, but the flag underneath appears to be a new one inscribed to Joseph Leonard 1773. Near the latter to the west is a monumental stone in the wall inscribed to Melaghlin Oge O’Hehir and More Hogan his wife, but no date. There is a tomb under this inscribed to the Rev. Patrick Hare (Protestant) who died at Cashel in 1816. There is a monumental stone in the south wall near the east gable inscribed thus: “Dermod O’Neilan, and Teig O’Neilan, his brother, for them and their heirs, made this sepulcher, 1645” and over this another stone with armorial bearing, covered with an incrustation of water and lime, with this inscription “The atchievement of O’Neilan.” There is another monumental stone in the same side, having a representation of the Crucifixion and two Marys, and the date 1644 at top, and the following inscription lower down: “Under these carved marbel stones lieth Connor O’Flanagan’s body and bones, which monument was made by Anabel,

There is another plain monumental stone in the same wall, between the door and west gable, with this inscription “Loghlen Reagh O’Hehirs Thomlee finished by his son Andrew O’Hehir, I.N.V.V. (E.R.) 1711.”

 

Previous

Main

Next