Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Kilnasoolagh

  1. Situation; Name; References to it from Wars of Torlogh; Hy-Dobharchon, the ancient patrimony of O’Liddy, mentioned in the same document as having been plundered, together with Kilnasoolagh, by the Clann Cuilein (Mac Namaras); Paul Liddy, celebrated in the Lives of “Irish Rogues and Raparees,” supposed to have been the representative of the O’Liddys in his day; Coradh-Cille-Subhalaighe (Causeway of Cill Subhalaighe) supposed to be the old name of the place now called Coradh-Chaitilin in Irish, and Newmarket-on-Fergus in English; Old Church (site of) supposed to be occupied by the present Protestant one; Monument of the O’Briens of Drumoland in the latter; Kilkieran, burial place for children; Castles mentioned in list preserved in MS. Trin. Col. and in that compiled by William O’Lionain, which were situated in this Parish.

  2. Extract from a copy of Keating by Andrew Mac Curtin, 1736,

  3. Assorted letters


Chapter 49


Chapter 51