Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Ogonnelloe

  1. Situation and Name; Is usually called Tuagh Og Coinghialla, which was the name of an ancient territory of which O’Durock was chief; Old Church (remains of) still called Teampull-na h-Eaghlisa or the Church of Aglish and extensive burial ground; Tobar Sraithin holy well to southeast of Church over which there is a white thorn tree ornamented with votive rags; Delicate children brought to it to be cured by its sacred powers; Cill-na-Bearnan burial ground for children and strangers in Ballylaghnaun; Caher Island (ruins of a castle in) set down in College list of Castles as “Island Cahir” belonging to Rory Mac Namara’s sons; Caislean Ban, old castle in Bay of Scarriff and belonging to Carrow Eana Townland; Was in excellent preservation until about 12 (20) years ago when it was taken possession of by some illicit distillers who defied the assaults of the military and two pieces of artillery; Blown up by gunpowder in 1827 by Order of Government.

Chapter 63


Chapter 65