Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Tomfinlough

  1. Situation; Name; Notices of it from Annals of IV. Masters; Holy well near the Church, without any name, at which Stations are performed; Old Parish Church; Remains of an ancient Church included in a kitchen garden wall to southeast of old Parish Church; Sketch of quadrangular doorway in do.

  2. The Plague Stone, a stone in the graveyard wall, popularly so called; Tradition in the neighbourhood concerning it and the heads placed over the quadrangular doorway; Castles in this Parish which are mentioned in the list preserved in MS. Trin. Col. Dub. and in a list of the castles of Mac Namara’s country, and of their founders or builders, compiled by William O’Lionan, in the MS. Collection of Messrs. Hodges and Smith; Rathlaithin mentioned in Wars of Torlogh; And Tuaimfinloch and Cathair Sgualic in Hardiman’s Irish Deeds.


Chapter 48


Chapter 50