Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Ordnance Survey Letters by John O'Donovan and Eugene Curry, 1839

Parish of Tomgraney

  1. Situation; Name.

  2. Monastery founded by St. Cronan who was venerated there as the patron; Abbots of Tuaim Greine called his Coarbs; His memory celebrated on 19th October under which his life is given in Colgan’s MSS. which were at Louvain about one hundred years ago; References for the Annals of Tuaim Greine; The Church of Tuaim-Greine with its tower, stated in a passage rel. thereto published by Colgan in his AA. SS. as from the Annals of IV. Masters to have been erected anno. 964 by Cormaic O’Killeen, Coarb of St. Cronan; The passage not to be found in any copy of said Annals in Dublin; The tower stated by Keating to have been rebuilt or repaired by Brian Boroo; Its site not now known; The present Church not an antiquity; Castle built by the O’Gradys, hereditary hErenachs of Tuaim Greine and Lords of the Territory of Hy-Donghaile; Mentioned in College list of castles of Thomond as belonging to Edmond O’Grady who had another castle at Moynoe and another at Scarriff; Scarriff Town shown in Down Survey as a village then of some importance; Mentioned in Annals of IV. Masters, ad. ann. 1584 as castle taken from the Attorney of the Bishop of Meath’s son (Brady) by Teige O’Brien and also ad. ann. 1598; St. Cronan’s Well in Currakyle.


Chapter 51


Chapter 53