Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | History | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The Clare Journal

Thursday Evening April 27 1916








Before the House of Commons sat in secret on Tuesday Mr Birrell, the Irish Secretary revealed the disquieting fact that armed rebellion had broken out in Ireland. Answering Captain Craig, Mr Birrell said - At noon on Monday grave disturbances broke out in Dublin. The Post Office was forcibly taken possession of, and twelve lives have been lost. The rebels are in possession of four or five different parts of the city. Soldiers have arrived from the Curragh, and the situation is now well in hand. Telegraphic communication has been cut off.
This week has witnessed history-making with a vengeance. The few among us with memories stretching back to the momentous days of ’67 felt quite wafted back over the intervening years; while all were reminded of the period which had come to be regarded as almost prehistoric, when the only means of communication with the metropolis was the old postchaise. Since Monday no mails or Dublin papers reached Ennis from Dublin, and only one train left the city for the country yesterday at 6.40 a.m., and one this morning brought via Rosslare copies of the “Sketch”, which were eagerly devoured by readers full of the extraordinary stories which have been current since Monday. Official communiqués, which have been permitted to appear by the authorities now disclose the sensational news that since Monday Dublin has been in a state of armed insurrection while reports from the West of Ireland show that in a few places there has been disturbance. The official messages from the Vice Regal Lodge yesterday had the eminently satisfactory announcement that the situation was “well in hand”. This would point to a speedy termination of the extraordinary conflict which has broken out with such remarkable suddenness, and the return to reason and sanity of the misguided tools and dupes of a dangerous Pro-German element, which had sought to disrupt our country in the present great crisis. With the Dublin General Post Office admittedly in the hands of the Sinn Feiners who had fled to arms there has been a complete sundering of all telegraphic and postal communication, and at the local office, by order of the authorities, no messages of any description, no matter how pressing, can be accepted by the staff. On the railways no bookings have been made for Dublin by either the Junction, Nenagh, or Athenry, and to-day no train was permitted to leave Ennis for Athenry. This is due to the tactics which have been adopted on the Gort Athenry section where on Tuesday a number of telegraph-poles along the line were cut down and the wires tangled up. As a result of this there was a complete failure of the electric staff apparatus, and the morning train was held up for some hours while the train due in Ennis at 11.55 did not reach until close on halfpast 3 in the afternoon. A special left here this morning with an Inspector of the Company, to make an examination of the line.
Some travellers from Dublin yesterday morning brought nerve-racking stories of the scenes in Dublin, but in the absence of official authorization we are naturally precluded from giving any of the details so available, but if true, they indicate an appalling condition had prevailed before the authorities had controlled the situation, as the ... of the official messages would seem to imply.
... intelligence that the situation is otherwise than normal has reached us from any part of Clare, and matters are particularly .... at the Ennis district.
On Tuesday a man named Fahy was arrested in the Gort – Ardrahan district, and it is stated that in his motor-car were found arms and ammunitions and documents understood to be of a treasonable nature. He was brought to Ennis in the motor, under police escort, in the small hours of Wednesday morning and sent on to Limerick to be handed over to the military authorities.
Last night, a young man of the small farmer, or labouring class, whose name it was stated was Cole, was brought to Ennis in custody from the Kilcolgan locality, where it is reported there was some disturbance, and he was sent, handcuffed, in custody to Limerick, by the 8.40 train this morning.
Military, it is stated, have taken charge of the Shannon Bridge, as a precaution against possible attempts to injure it.
During last night a number of police arrived in Ennis by motor, and other vehicles, and it is believed that some of these are destined for districts towards the Galway side, where disturbances are said to have occurred.


The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland announces that during the night the Royal Naval Reserve gunboat on the Liffey shelled and the troops subsequently occupied, Liberty Hall, the headquarters of the Sinn Fein forces. Meanwhile large reinforcement have arrived in Dublin, including a detachment of 10,000 troops from England with artillery, engineering and medical corps. In other portions of the city the situation is well in hand.


A Royal Proclamation was published yesterday which substitutes trial by courtmartial for offences hitherto triable by civil courts.


The official communique issued by the Lord Lieutenant, from the Vice Regal Lodge today says-
For the last forty-eight hours satisfactory progress has been made.
The enemy activity is confined to sniping from houses in certain restricted areas.
Additional reinforcements have arrived from England and are on hand for disposal as required.

Dublin, Wednesday
Liberty Hall, the Sinn Fein headquarters, has been shelled by a gunboat in the Liffey, and the building occupied by troops.
Large reinforcements, including 10,000 troops from England, with artillery, engineering, and medical corps, have landed in Dublin, and occupied the city.
Repairs to the railway line are being rapidly effected, and the situation is well in hands.
The Garrison Commander at Queenstown states that reports from the provinces indicate that normal conditions prevail.
The situation in Dublin has improved, and adequate forces are at the disposal of the military authorities to cope with the situation.


The latest available news of the Sinn Fein rebellion in Ireland is contained in the statements made in Parliament yesterday by the Prime Minister and the Irish Secretary. Mr. Asquith's statement is noteworthy as containing the first official intimation that the hand of Germany is responsible for the deplorable outbreak.
Mr Asquith – Troops have arrived from Belfast and England in Dublin. Martial law has been proclaimed in Dublin city and county. Drastic action to suppress the movement and to secure the arrest of all concerned is being taken. Outside Dublin the country is tranquil. Only three minor cases of disturbance have been reported. Steps are being taken to acquaint neutral countries of the real significance of the most recent German campaign. It is not the case that the rebels have machine guns. I have just received a telegram saying that the situation in Dublin is satisfactory. Liberty Hall and St Stephens Green have been occupied. The Lord Lieutenant is in Ireland, has been there all the time, and rendered great assistance. The rebel associations are going to be proclaimed illegal. News from Ireland is censored, for the moment. It is not true that the Vice Regal Lodge has been taken. Eleven insurgents were killed in the occupation of St Stephen's Green. Provincial news is reassuring. The Inspector-General of the Royal Irish Constabulary reports that at Drogheda the Nationalist Volunteers turned out under arms to assist the Government. Many local persons have offered assistance.

The 1916 Rising in the Clare Newspapers