Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | History | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

The Clare Journal

Monday Evening May 1 1916 - Part 1












Up to the hour of writing – Monday – it is highly satisfactory to be able to state, in view of the sensational reports which are flying hour by hour from other parts of the country, that the county Clare has not witnessed a solitary outbreak of disturbance of any kind. To-day practically normal conditions prevail, but it was very evident that during last week there was a considerable atmosphere of unrest and suppressed excitement, which, however, found no actual vent and the news of the surrender of the leaders of the Dublin revolt on Saturday night, which spread like wildfire, had a powerful effect in bringing home to possibly disaffected circles, limited and without influence as they may be, an idea and appreciation of the realities of the situation as it existed.
Close on a hundred and fifty extra police have arrived in town, mostly by motor, from Longford, Fermanagh, and Down, and many of these are billeted about the town, while the motors are held in readiness on the grounds of the Constabulary Barracks. The men themselves seem to be enjoying an easy holiday about the town, but at night there is vigilant watch kept on all the entrances to and exits from the town, by armed parties and the various bridges about the town are closely guarded against any possible attempt at damage.
Yesterday afternoon, a young man named Michael J. Shannon, from the Fountain district, on the fringe of the town, was arrested in town. He had been, it is alleged, rather excitedly declaring certain political views, and jostled against Constable Glynn, of the local police force, as he was proceeding through the streets on his bicycle, knocking him off the machine. Owing to his language he was promptly arrested and sent this morning by early train to Limerick, to be handed over to the Limerick authorities.
A young man named Arthur O’Donnell, from near Kilrush, an ex-teacher, was also sent from the Ennis station this morning under armed escort, to be handed over to the military. He turned up at Kilrush on Saturday, we are informed, in Irish Volunteer uniform with a revolver and ammunition, and was promptly arrested.
As far as we can gather these have been the only arrests in the county Clare.
Our Kilrush correspondent writes-
Up to the time of writing I am glad to say things remain in the usual state of peace in West Clare.
A young man named O’Donnell, from the Tullycrine district, was arrested in Kilrush.

Last night we received the following official communication-
Yesterday the Sinn Fein leader, James Connolly, unconditionally surrendered to the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief in Ireland. The leaders, anxious to avoid further bloodshed, have signed a notice to other leaders and their parties both in Dublin and in the country calling on them to surrender, as their cause is hopeless.
These notices are being circulated by the Royal Irish Constabulary to tall stations. A large number of men surrendered last night and this morning, and it is expected that others will follow during the course of the day.
Emissaries have come in from the Sinn Fein party at and about Ashbourne and Swords and from Wexford to verify the fact of the above surrender. – From Inspector General R. I. Constabulary.
At midnight we received the following communiqué from the Lord Lieutenant-
Viceregal Lodge, 30th April, 1916.
Official communiqué issued by the Lord Lieutenant yesterday – Pearse, the rebel leader, surrendered, and the great bulk of his supporters in the city and throughout the country have done likewise. Only a few detached bodies have not yet made their submission, and these are being effectively dealt with.


On Saturday night we were officially informed that the following document has been signed by the leaders of the Volunteers. It runs-
In order to prevent the further slaughter of unarmed people, and in the hope of saving the lives of our followers, now surrounded and hopelessly outnumbered, the members of the PROVISIONAL Government present at Headquarters have agreed to an unconditional surrender, and the commanders of all units of the Republican Forces will order their followers to lay down their arms.
(Signed) P.H. PEARSE
Dated 29th day of April, 1916.




The following is a copy of an order issued from the Irish Command Headquarters to be circulated by R. I. C. –
Sinn Fein rebels in the area of Capel St, Great Britain St. and Lower Gardiner St, are completely surrounded by a cordon of troops, which is gradually closing on the centre. The troops, assisted by artillery, are gradually overcoming resistance.
One of the principal rebel leaders, P.H. Pearse, is known to be inside the cordon, suffering from a fractured thigh. The woman known as Countess Markievich has also been seen inside. Another leader, James Connolly has been reported killed. The adjoining area, containing the Four Courts, is also surrounded by a cordon, which is closing on its centre, and containing therein most of the rebels.
A division complete with artillery is now operating in the Dublin area, and more troops are constantly arriving. Arrangements are being made to intern in England all Sinn Feiners captured, or surrendered who are not dealt with here.
Roger Casement has declared that Germany has sent all assistance she is going to send, and this is now at the bottom of the sea. – Inspector General R. I.C. Dublin Castle.



The official report yesterday says-
The rebellion in Dublin on the verge of collapse.
Many rebels, including leaders, are surrendering. The Dublin Post Office and other buildings are destroyed by fire.
The troops surround the rebel strongholds.
The remainder of Ireland is generally satisfactory.

Attack on Post Office.

A correspondent writes-
Our course was down Common Street and up D’Olier St. to Amien Place. Here the Great Northern Railway crosses the road by a bridge, and here we were peremptorily stopped by a picket of infantry, who told us that it was unsafe to go any further, and that we must return with all speed to our hotel. This we had to do.
The rest of the day had to be spent in waiting at the hotel, until some officer could be found to give us some authentic information about the progress of events. But the time of waiting was not by any means without incident.
Yesterday the rebels had been shelled out of a large mill and bakery on the south side of the Liffey. They had retreated to a building owned by the Dublin Distillery Co., which has not been used for some years.
In the firing that ensued one bullet passed between two of our number who were watching the scene, and smashed a looking glass in the room. Others caught the building at various points, the reason doubtless being that many officers were known to be in it, directing operations on that zone of the firing line.
Shortly after this sounds were heard which told of grimmer work in other quarters. Soon dense clouds of smoke from Sackville Street told that fires had broken out.
At about five o’clock there came the sounds of a heavy musketry attack apparently directed against the end of Sackville Street, nearest to O’Connell Bridge. In the same quarter another fire broke out, and dense clouds of black smoke obscured the sky.
At the present moment I am unable to give any details and exact particulars of the results of all this terrible work. We are forbidden to leave the hotel, and are requested not to go to the upper floors owing to the danger of sniping bullets.
The strident clamour of the horrible tragedy is the only indication of its progress that we have, save, perhaps, the sight of a white and terror-stricken face that peeps around the corner of a door in a side street.
From the disjointed accounts of those who have seen parts of this picture I shall endeavour to give you some sort of account of what has happened, but the full and complete story must wait until the actors have time to tell it, when the work is completed.
It will be a story which, for its insane and criminal madness, has never been nor can be equalled in history.
There are those who speak of warnings and indications of the coming storm. To most of whom I have spoken it came as a bolt from the blue.
It was Bank Holiday, and consequently most of the places of business were closed. The presence of numbers of Irish Volunteers in the town attracted no attention; it was thought that they were only going to have an ordinary parade. These “Irish Volunteers” must not be confused with the “Irish National Volunteers.” The numbers of this latter body have dwindled away, as the majority have joined the Irish Divisions in the British Army. A few turned aside to the Irish Volunteers, which are dominated partly by the Syndicalists but chiefly by the “Sinn Fein” movement.
At one o’clock on Bank Holiday there was a preconcerted movement. The Post Office was filled with people, when suddenly the building was occupied by Irish Volunteers, who carried their rifles in their hands. Every soldier in uniform who appeared to be in the Post Office was seized and held as a prisoner. The upper windows were broken, and soon the rebels were firing on every solider who could be seen in the streets.
In the meantime the rebel flag had been run over the Post Office, and the Metropole Hotel, which is next door, was seized. Every tram car was stopped and turned crosswise on the rails. Motor cars were seized, their tyres punctures, and then they were piled into barricades.
The object of seizing the Post Office seems to be that of cutting off all communication with the outside world. For a time it succeeded.
At the other end of the city, on St Stephen’s Green, other parties of rebels turned everybody out of the gardens and locked the gates. Then they started to dig trenches and start firing at every officer and soldier they saw, most of whom were unarmed. It is said that two officers were shot while looking out of the windows of the Shelbourne Hotel.
Other points of the city seized by the rebels were the College of Surgeons on St Stephen’s Green, Messrs Jacobs’ biscuit factory, some large buildings on the south side of the river, isolated houses at strategic points were also seized, and loopholed for rifle-fire.

Shops Looted

Consternation seized the peaceful citizens. They were unarmed, and what could they do against thousands of armed and desperate men who had suddenly raised the standard of rebellion? Men and women broke into shops and looted their contents. Here would be seen a man with an armful of boots, carefully selecting the proper fit as he sat on the pavement. Women could be seen in the jewellers’ shops making selections of rings and brooches. Children did not forget the opportunity to get unlimited sweets for nothing.
So the long night of Monday passed into the still more terrible day of Tuesday. On that day the military forces of the Crown began to take a hand in serious earnest. Reinforcements were rushed up to Dublin. A military cordon was formed round the city. Martial law was proclaimed, and the positions of the rebels were attacked.
The rebels at St. Stephen’s Green were cleared out completely, and the others were driven in until they now hold only Sackville street and a district at the other side of the river.
Many of the rebels have discarded their uniforms and taken to the top floors of houses, from which they snipe the forces of the Crown all day long.
Of the darker and more sinister side of the rebellion, if it be possible to find out – it is yet too early to speak. What is the connection of the events in Dublin with the foolish raid of Sir Roger Casement? Who is financing this movement? Where did the rebels get their stores and prodigious quantities of ammunition they are firing away? Until we are permitted to leave the North Wall any attempt to answer these questions must stand over.
I cannot at present hear of any disturbances in other parts of Ireland. On the other hand, it is said that the Irish National Volunteers are coming to the assistance of the Government in the work of maintaining order. The terror-stricken population of Dublin is cowering in its dwelling places, only hoping for this dreadful nightmare of tragedy to pass away.

(From “Llyod’s News.”)
Dublin, Friday Night (received on Saturday)

Almost simultaneously with the seizure of the post office at noon on Monday, what appeared to be an excursion train arrived at King’s Bridge Station, and set down a large number of the rebels, who forthwith and without opposition proceeded to join forces with others of the conspirators in different parts of the city.
At St Stephen’s Green about the same time drivers of tramcars and motor-cars were surprised to find themselves held up by Sinn Feiners wearing green tunics, who proceeded to utilise the vehicles as barricades, while in some instances they commandeered the cushions of the cars to line the trenches which they had dug in the green.
Many bread vans were also captured in this district, and their contents carried off to the different points at which the rebels hoped to make a stand.
At the City Hall the rebels hoisted the Sinn Fein flag on the pole where formerly the Union Jack had been fluttering in the breeze.
Some of the earliest fighting took place at Ballsbridge. There was also a sortie near the Botanic Gardens.
On the main road leading from Kingstown to Merrion Square there was also a good deal of fighting. The rebels seized a school room and a small hall adjoining, and again hoisted the emblem of their party. There was some cross-firing at this particular part.
One incident illustrates the nature of the opposition which the military have to face. A ruse which the rebels adopt in some of the outlying districts is to get into gardens, and when a body of military pass they appear to be innocent workmen. Passersby a little later, however, find that the hoe has become a rifle. Many soldiers have been shot as a result of this stratagem.
These small outbreaks on the outskirts of the city, however, have become exceedingly rare, and main interest centres in the Sackville street area.
The Post Office, which was seized on Monday, is barricaded from inside with bags and papers and all the available books. All the windows of the building are smashed.
Jacob’s well-known biscuit factory was also one of the first places seized, and the trouble there was accentuated by women taking sides.
Their attempts to get refreshments in to the men were resisted by their fellow workers who are loyalists, and several free fights between the women are reported.
Sackville street has also been the scene of considerable looting. The rebels broke into the shops as soon as they had established themselves, and boots were being sold at threepence a pair.
Where poor women had no money, boots, clothing, etc., were distributed free. The women in most cases were accompanied by their children, and it was a quite common sight to see the little urchins walking along carrying four or five sticks of “rock” and quantities of other sweets.
The flat roofs of the houses afford excellent scope for the snipers, who can either lie flat or hide behind the chimney stacks and fire down on the military below.
In some of the tenements holes have been knocked through the walls of the upper rooms, so that it is possible for the rebels to go from one end of a tenement to the other without exposing themselves.
Liberty Hall, the seat and headquarters of the rebels, is now no more. It was shelled by a gunboat from the Liffey. There was practically no resistance. The green flag was soon flying among the ruins, and when morning broke all that was left of the Larkin headquarters was in the hands of the troops, who had rushed over the demolished masonry with a cheer.

Gold Watches At 2s. 6d.


Mr. F. H. Mullings, of Caversham, Reading, left Dublin on Friday evening. He told the following story to a press representative in London:-
“From the quay at Kingstown – 8 miles from the city – we could see a great fire burning, and we could hear plainly the volley-fire of the rifles, the ping-ping-ping of the machine-guns.” It was for all of us an extraordinary experience.
“Food is scarce in the district, even in Kingstown. The jarveys there made a pile of money out of the travellers leaving Dublin.
“In Sackville Street shops have been burnt or looted. Gold watches were going for half-a-crown apiece, and it was a common sight to see the womenfolk of the rebels trying on the latest thing in hats in public.”
In one or two instances, the rioters have shot down women and children.
Opposite the Shelbourne Hotel, there lies still the carcase of a horse shot on Tuesday, because this region has been too dangerous to permit of its removal.
The rioters seized some of the hotels, as well as the principal railway stations, with the exception of Amiens Street and Messrs W and R Jacob and Co’s biscuit factory, which they have used as a base for provisioning their men.
In the defence of the Post Office the Sinn Feiners have used machine guns. Grafton Street was protected by a stiff wooden barricade, and the approaches to St. Stephen’s Green were blocked by lines of motor cars, which the rioters commandeered by threats during last week-end. Several of these cars belong to Belfast. The chauffeurs have returned home, and in more than one case they put their cars out of action before leaving. One man deliberately threw away several cans of petrol.


The insurgents in the first hours of the struggle used the stolen cars freely for transport purposes. One alleged to have been driven by the Countess Markievich, a woman prominently identified with the Larkinites, was loaded with rifles from an untenanted shop in Dame Street, and the weapons were handed out to a band of men in the green uniforms of the Volunteers, who began the assault on Dublin Castle.

Two motor cyclists were held up a few miles outside the capital by men who covered them with revolvers and forced them to give up their machines.
Armed insurgents ambushed the main roads at different points.
The conspirators used the word “Limerick” as a signal and password. A considerable proportion of them were in civilian dress but wore the Volunteer wideawake hats. These men, like those in uniforms, had rifles and revolvers, and belts stuffed with cartridges.
Outside the chief buildings and in many parts of the city the rebels posted the proclamation referred to by Lord Midleton in the House of Lords.
Witnesses of the original attack on the Post Office at noon on Monday place the force here at 160 or 180. Four other companies of rebels, ranging from 150 to 200 men, seized other important centres, including the “Daily Express and Evening Mail office, and the Law Courts.
At the Law Courts the rebels indulged in a mad orgy of destruction. They sacrificed many valuable books from the reference library and tore up quantities of documents.
Every since the trouble broke out the principal shops in Dublin have been barred and shuttered and business is confined to the suburbs.
The licensed houses are closed by order of the authorities.
The riots have been accompanied by much wanton damage to property, and looting.
Yesterday a raid was made on a boot shop, and the strange spectacle was presented of a row of men and women helping themselves to the stock and sitting outside the premises in a row trying on new boots and shoes.



Dublin, Friday Morning 10 a.m.
(received Saturday).

Firing has been going on during the whole of the night but this morning matters are rather quieter.
Fires were blazing during the night. It looked as though the southern end of Sackville street must have suffered heavily. At four o’clock this morning the sky was lit up with reflections of the flames, which extended along Sackville street and down the quays to the Custom House.
Firing went on until the early morning. At one o’clock, and at half past four, there was a terrific outburst of machine gunfire outside our hotel – the North Western. It was directed against the houses north of the London and North Western station, whence sniping shots were continually coming.
Before this was carried out the houses had been searched, and the women and children removed to a church near by.
Several prisoners have been captured.
I can obtain no information as to the number of lives lost during the rebellion. Stories have filtered through to the effect that near the Post Office the ground was littered with the bodies of rebels who had been killed.
There was some determined fighting last night before the military were able to advance up Sackville street.
It is becoming clearer that this rebellion of the Sinn Feiners will be short-lived – the back of it is broken. Yet it will be long remembered. Nothing more dramatic has occurred throughout the war. The rebels are fighting against the inevitable; all their strongholds are being surrounded. Already the “Irish Republic” has gone down to a futile and ignominious end. It died practically at birth. There are probably now 5,000 armed insurrectionists wearing the slate-green uniform so closely resembling the German.
All last night the skies were illuminated by the big fire in Sackville Street. Maxim and machine guns rattled away, and at times seemed as if they were right in the hotel where we were stretched out on the floors to gain protection. The fire ate its way through several blocks, and although it was a costly method, it served to drive out the Sinn Feiners like so many rats from an old mill. Faced by a choice of fire or bullets most of them chose, the latter death as the better of two evils, thought some sniped away till they were asphyxiated. The military and the fire brigade did heroic work in keeping the fire from becoming a great conflagration. Silhouetted against the sky stood the domes of buildings, church steeples and the Nelson Monument, making a weird sight. Several times there were loud explosions and tremendous showers of sparks falling like rain from an umbrella. This morning dense clouds of smoke are still rising from the burned area.
Today a systematic search is being made by the military of all suspected districts. All men found in houses are being arrested and imprisoned in churches, railway stations, or warehouses.
Young Irishmen are very volatile. Their range of emotions is great. From the crest of so called patriotism they drop quickly to the depths of despair. It is the natural reaction. They don’t look or act like martyrs this chilly grey Friday morning. They are just poor, plain Irish lads, huddled together like so many sheep in the stock yards. There is no Victoria Cross for those fellows. Brave they were, without doubt, but they are the victims of misguided judgment. They deserve no sympathy. They will get little. But one cannot help thinking what deeds of valour they might have done had they faced Germans with British, instead of British with German rifles!
Let me state emphatically – Government’s firm stand has sounded the death-knell of the rebellion. It will be a long day, if ever, before Sinn Feiners or any kindred organisation attempt an insurrection such as this fiasco. When the final figures are announced it will be seen that much Irish blood has been shed needlessly. The people are already feeling the pangs of hunger as the result of food shortage, due to the rebellion.
After a talk with a few civilians and a brief study of the faces of frightened, worried and dazed women, huddled in doorways, I judge there is little sympathy for rebellion of any kind. Someone sadly deluded and misled the Irish Volunteers for their cause is hopeless from the start. None except men grossly misguided by false promises would begin so plainly futile an uprising. James Connolly, naturalised American, for long Secretary to James Larkin, is reported killed at the Post Office, where he fortified himself strongly. Peter Pearse, headmaster St Enda’s Gaelic School, who was proclaimed “President” of the Irish Republic, is also reported to have been wounded. The Republic is shot to pieces. All the spirit of rebellion is gone.
Gloucester street was the scene of bitter fighting, many rebels being killed. Martial law drives most from the streets. In company with other members of our party I strolled down the street yesterday morning, but the moment we stepped from behind the wall, which makes a fine barricade, the whistle of bullets made us hasten our steps. A little further we witnessed the storming of a sniper. Here we turned back to the hotel, which was proved the best grand stand for a contest doomed only to one conclusion.
For purely spectacular purposes nothing I have seen compares with the bombardment of the Irish Republican flag on the cupola of a building nearly a mile away from this hotel. Fully fifty shells burst around the cupola. A cinema of this side show would have been worth thousands.

Vivid Pen Picture
(From the “Weekly Despatch”).

Everything goes to point to the fact that the Dublin rising was a carefully- thought-out, well-planned affair, the finishing touches to which were given during the week-end when secret meetings of the organisation were held.
All night the rebels, calling themselves the “Irish Republican Army,” and under the command of James Connolly, the Irish Syndicalist leader, who was Jim Larkin’s right hand man, began to pour into the city from all directions. Most of them were decorated with green sashes, and seemed to be labouring under tremendous excitement.
At a pre-arranged signal, exactly at midday, a detachment of rebels broke into an empty shop in Dame street, Dublin , which had previously been loaded with rifles and ammunition, and quickly transferred the stores into a commandeered motor car, buildings in the neighbourhood were seized, and the roofs used as points from which soldiers who passed were shot at.
Meanwhile adjacent gun shops had been looted and their contents distributed to followers of Connolly, who were easily to be distinguished by the green uniforms they wore, with bandoliers complete. Those who were not wearing uniforms were provided with haversacks and water bottles, and rifles with fixed bayonets.
The rebels made for Sackville street, where the tallest buildings were seized and quickly thrown into a state of defence, and then three companies strong, the rioters, who were assisted in many cases by frenzied women who fetched and carried their ammunition and helped to distribute well-filled bandoliers to hundreds of young fellows who came in from the outskirts of the city to join the rebels, made for the Post Office, which soon fell into their hands.
While these preparations for withstanding a siege by the military were taking place the work of cutting off Dublin from telegraphic communication with the outside world was being effectively accomplished. The telegraphic plant was abolished, the instruments brutally smashed, the wires cut, and the telephone communications dismantled.



Artillery at Work

Dublin, Thursday (received yesterday)

The rebels are fighting with the courage of despair, and, recklessly, they have taken little precaution to prevent risk to the civilian population.
The city to day presented a remarkable spectacle. Under martial law, the miliary have taken entire charge of the town, and hardly a civilian was to be seen in the thoroughfares.
Every shop was shut down, practically every door was kept closed, and everywhere as at every hour there were the constant report of rifle firing, intermingled with the sharp rat-tat-tat of the machine guns and the louder booms of heavy artillery.
For three and a half days Dublin has been held, in throes of warfare. Great buildings had been set on fire, dense smoke hanging like a black pall in the sky.
Sniping was, perhaps the most nerve wracking of the several operations carried on. Every large and tall building I the fighting area – those surrounding Sackville street and Brunswick street – held its snipers, picked shots. The opening of a window or the raising of a blind meant a bullet, and the meaning of this can be guessed, when it is stated that the writer during the short space of an hour, witnessed no fewer than eight bullets flatten themselves upon the walls of the hotel in which he was staying.
A Sinn Fein gun was discharged, and there came an instant reply from the loyal rifle, and then a short lull after which the practice was repeated. At intervals came the sounds of machine gun fire. So the dreary day passed on. None except the authorities knew the results. There was an electrical current in the air. What had been done, what was being done, was necessarily known only to a few, and the populace had … to wait in silence.
Yesterday the military authorities had completed their line round the rebels where the outbreak occurred, and fully established their ascendancy over their adversaries.
Today all the openings to the adjoining streets were guarded by troops who escorted the few civilians hardy enough to venture out away from the disturbed areas.
The rebels had in their possession practically the whole of Sackville street, which was heavily barricaded, and which includes the fine buildings of the General Post Office and of the Metropole and Imperial Hotel, and the large flour mill in the Brunswick street area upon the opposite side of the river. They were also in possession of their entrenched position in St Stephen’s Green.
Dead bodies lying about within their lines testified to the nature of the fighting. Today it was the duty of the troops to drive them out of their positions, and the men entered upon their task with a vigour and courage beyond all praise.
It is conclusively proved that the Sinn Feiners’ weapons were not uniform, even shot guns were employed, and their recklessness in regard to danger to life of civilians is shown by the fact that an American and English journalist, when endeavouring to pass along the North Wall, were potted at by the snipers. The bullet embedded itself in the wall within a dangerously close distance of their heads.
Mr. Birrell, the Chief Secretary, who arrived in Dublin in the early hours of the morning, after a capital passage, was greeted by the sound of the rifle shots of the opposing forces. He stood for some minutes on deck, listening to the report of the rifles, and observing the remarkable scenes around him, and then left in a car. Before entering he turned to the small knot of special correspondents behind him, and remarked: “Well! Good luck to you.” His good wishes, however, were somewhat discounted when he added with a lugubrious smile: “But I’m sure I don’t know what is to become of you.”
The view certainly was not a cheerful one for Mr Birrell to look upon. Instead of the usual busy scenes to be witnessed upon the North Wall, with the docks loading and unloading ships at the quay side, the Chief Secretary saw the wide thoroughfare absolutely deserted except for the military.
Near the Custom House stood the ruins of Liberty Hall, a notorious head-quarters of Sinn Feiners, which had been destroyed the day before.
The constant cracking of the snipers’ rifles continued. There was no rest. War and anarchy were predominant, and so on through the night. The rebels, with a persistency worthy of a better cause, continued to fire vigorously hour after hour, and with a devilish cruelty swept some of the thoroughfares with traverse or circling fire in the hope that some stray bullet might find its billet somewhere. It did not matter to them whether that billet was the body of a soldier or a civilian.
Our troops were by no means inactive. They sent among the rebels whenever they could be spotted a hail of lead, which quickly made them make a change of quarters. This they evidently did with extreme rapidity, their perfect knowledge of their surroundings enabling them quickly to make off to another spot, there to commence all over again.


(From the “Weekly Despatch” Special Correspondent.)

Holyhead, Saturday

“The Sinn Feiners entrenched themselves on St. Stephen’s Green and held their ground against the soldiers for some time. At last the solders managed to get a machine-gun into one of the upper rooms of the Shelbourne Hotel. From this point they commanded the Sinn Fein defences and were able to pour in a deadly fire, scooping rebels out like shelling peas from a pod.
“As soon as the Green was clear the whole affair became like the Sydney St battle against the Anarchists on a large scale. The Sinn Feiners took to the houses and fired from the windows and roofs, while the soldiers took what cover they could and returned the fire.
“Splendid work was done by one of the battalions. There was one company in action which must have included a large number of men who had only just joined. They went for the Sinn Feiners with the bayonet, and took their own punishment like men.
“Several nests of Sinn Feiners were cleared.
“The great event of Tuesday was the cleaning up of Liberty hall. A sloop up the Liffey shelled the place to pieces, knocking everything into a cocked hat, and a lot of the Sinn Feiners with it.”

Day and Night Fights.


A young Irishman who had been visiting his parents in the Ranelagh quarter, and who left Dublin on Friday, told the following to a press representative in London.
“I saw the rebels’ trenches in St Stephen’s Green, and the shops burned in Sackville street. When I left a fire had been raging there for the past 48 hours.
“On Friday the rebels still had the General Post Office and Jacob’s biscuit factory. I am told that a large number of cases of ammunition were taken there some time ago labelled “Margarine”. Forces of troops are now in the city. The fighting continues night and day. One day I went into the City of Dublin Hospital in Baggot St and saw many soldiers and policemen lying there with wounds in the head and arms. When I asked one of them where the fighting was fiercest he replied – “Northumberland road: that was the hotbed.”

Mr. Redmond’s Attitude

London. Saturday.

The Press Association is authorised to state that Mr. Redmond has placed himself absolutely at the disposal of the authorities and is in constant touch with them. He has instructed the Irish National Volunteers in all parts of Ireland to hold themselves at the disposal of the military authorities. In many places besides Dublin they have already on their own motion mobilised in support of the troops. Yesterday the Tipperary Volunteers offered their services.

The 1916 Rising in the Clare Newspapers