Clare County Library
Clare History
Home | History | Foto: Clare Photo Collection | OS Maps | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Saturday May 13 1916 - Part 1



It was officially announced on Thursday that four more rebel leaders – namely, Joseph Plunkett, Edward Daly, Michael O’Hanrahan and William Pearse, had been convicted by courtmartial and sentenced to death. They were shot on Friday morning.

Fifteen others were sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude, and one to eight years.
It is stated that Sir Roger Casement is to be tried in London on a charge of high treason. The court will consist of three judges.

The announcement of the resignation of Mr Birrell was made in the House of Commons on Wednesday. Mr Birrell in a personal statement admitted that he had under-estimated the strength of the Sinn Fein movement. There are rumours that other members of the Irish Executive will resign.



The following further results of the trial of the Sinn Fein rebels are announced :


Joseph Plunkett. Edward Daly. Ml. O’Hanlon. Wm. Pearse.

The above were shot on Friday morning, after confirmation of the sentences by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief.


The following were convicted and sentenced, but the sentences were commuted by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief to ten years’ penal servitude-

Thomas Bevan, Thos Walsh, Finian Lynch, Michl. Mervyn, Denis O’Callaghan, P E Sweeney, Patrick McNestry, Peter Clancy, Wm Tobin, George Irvine, John Irvine, John Doherty, J J Walsh, James
Melinn, J J Reid, John Williams.


Convicted and sentenced to death, but commuted to eight years penal servitude by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief :

John McGarry


Convicted and sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude, and sentence commuted by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief

Francis Fahy, Richard Davys.
Further trials are proceeding.


Mr John Redmond, M.P., has received the following cablegram from General Botha, the Prime Minister of South Africa:
Capetown, April 29.
“Accept my heartfelt sympathy and regret that a small section in Ireland is jeopardising the great cause. I hope the Irish people will allow your line of action and that your policy will be successful.

Mr Redmond has cabled the following reply - “On behalf of my colleagues and myself, and the overwhelming majority of the Irish people, I send you sincere thanks for your message of sympathy and support.”
Dublin, Monday.

The official notification issued to day at the Headquarters Staff Office, Dublin, says :
The following are further results of trials by Field General Courtmartial :-

Cornelius Colbert, Michael Mallon
Edmund Kent, J. J. Heuston.

All these four men took a very prominent part in the rebellion.

Sentenced to death, commuted to eight years penal servitude – James O’Sullivan.

Sentenced to death, commuted to five years penal servitude – Vincent Poole and Wm P. Corrigan.

Sentenced to death, commuted to three years’ penal servitude –

John Dourney. John Faulkiner.
James Burke. Michael Brady.
James Morrissy. James Dempsey.
Maurice Brennan. George Levins.
Gerald Doyle. John F. Cullen.
Charles Bevan. J. Dorrington.
John O’Brien. W. O’Dea.
Patrick Fogarty. P. Kelly.

Sentenced to ten years’ penal servitude, seven years remitted - Michael Scully.

Sentenced to two years’ imprisonment, with hard labour, one year remitted – J. Crenigan, Wm Derrington.

Acquitted and released – John R. Reynolds, Joseph Callaghan.

Eamonn Kent, or Ceannt, was one of the signatories to the proclamation issued by the rebels on Easter Monday. He was an official at a high salary of the Dublin Corporation.
Mr Kent was a man of intellectual attainments and had a brilliant Intermediate course.


The ordinary railway passenger and goods traffic from Ennis to Dublin was resumed on Monday by the Great Southern and Western Company. Practically all the Sinn Fein volunteers in Limerick and the outlying districts included in the Parliamentary borough have surrendered their arms and ammunition. Great satisfaction is felt among all classes of the community that the causes for any uneasiness were so tactfully and considerately arranged and in this happy ending the Commander of the Forces, Sir Anthony A Weldon ; the Mayor, and others who took part in getting the Volunteers to peacefully surrender their arms, have contributed. There was practically no business done in the city for the past fortnight owing to the wild rumours which were about, and the anxiety that they gave rise to. During the fortnight that has passed some twelve arrests were made under the provisions of the Defence of the Realm Act, and the prisoners lodged in Limerick Gaol. The men were from country districts, and the County of Clare.


The “Freeman’s Journal” says – “An inquiry has taken place in connection with the shooting of three men at Portobello Barracks early in Easter week, but the result is not yet known. It is stated that the three men concerned are Mr F. Sheehy Skeffington, Mr McIntyre, and Mr Dixon all three pretty well known in the city. With regard to the first, it is rumoured that he was arrested while posting up a notice calling for a volunteer police force to deal with looting”.




The following further results of trials by Field General Courts Martial are announced :

Sentenced to death, but commuted to penal servitude for life by the General Officer Commanding in Chief – Constance Georgina Markievicz, Henry O’Hanrahan.

Sentenced to death, commuted to ten years’ penal servitude – George Plunkett, John Plunkett. These are brothers of Joseph Plunkett, who has been shot.

Sentenced to death, commuted to five years’ penal servitude – Philip B Cosgrave.

Sentenced to death, commuted to three years’ penal servitude –

R Kelly F Brooks
W Wilson R Coleman
J Clarke T Peppard
J Marks J Norton
J Brennan T Byrne
P Wilson T O’Kelly
W Meehan

Sentenced to penal servitude for 20 years, 10 years remitted – James J Hughes.

Sentenced to penal servitude for 10 years, duly confirmed – Peter Doyle.

Sentenced to two years’ imprisonment with hard labour, duly confirmed – J Wilson.

Sentenced to two years’ imprisonment with hard labour, one year remitted – E Roach.




Thrilling encounters between insurgents and the forces of the Crown took place at Oranmore in connection with the Galway rising.
On Easter Monday vague rumours of events in Dublin began to be circulated. In the afternoon it was reported that 600 insurgents [were] marching on Galway from the surrounding districts. Business was at once suspended. Mr G Nicholls, B.A., Coroner, was the first to be arrested in Galway, and soon afterwards Mr F Hardman, the manager of one of the local picture houses, and Mr Carter, a Co. Council official, were taken into custody, and conveyed to a mine sweeper in the bay. Other arrests included Professor Steinberger, of the University ; Dr T Walsh, another Professor ; Mr J Faller, son of Mr S Faller, jeweller ; Padraic O’Maille, M Thornton, N.T., Spiddal. Dr Steinberger has been professor of Modern Languages at University College, Galway, since 1886, and was educated in Germany, Italy, and France. He was found to have £800 in gold in his room. Dr Walsh, who is a native of the county, has been a Professor of Pathology in the University since 1912.


Galway was practically isolated for a week owing to the rising, but a local newspaper published bulletins daily, which tended to allay the general anxiety. A meeting of representative citizens condemned the rising, and appointed a Committee of Public safety. The National Volunteers turned out to assist the military and naval authorities, and special constables were sworn in, but, at the time, it was doubtful if the entire defensive force could have mustered more than 100 men. At 5 p.m. Lieutenant Commander Horan of the Naval Base, Galway, as a competent military authority, issued an order closing all the licensed houses, and directing all civilians, with the exception of the National Volunteers, to remain indoors until 8 a.m. The banks were closed, and the police took possession of the Post Office.
In the vicinity of Oranmore four armed insurgents entered the signal cabin and broke the signals while covering the signalman with revolvers. A short section of the rails was removed at Derrydonnell, but it is was repaired by the railway authorities. About 35 of the insurgents attacked the barracks at Oranmore, but were received with rifle shots from the police inside. The insurgents then disappeared, contenting themselves with discharging random shots at the barracks. Sergeant Healy took refuge in the house of Constable Smyth. An insurgent called upon them to surrender, but the sergeant threatened to fire if he did not retire. The insurgents then attempted to break in the door, but the sergeant fired some revolver shots through the panels and the insurgents retired. Meanwhile Capt Sir Andrew Armstrong and ten men of the Connaught Rangers and Co. Inspector Ruttledge and ten men of the RIC reinforced the men at Oranmore. A shot from the Co. Inspector’s revolver was the signal to the men, who opened fire as they advanced and the insurgents disappeared in motor cars and cars which they had commandeered. A bullet whizzed past the Co. Inspector’s ear, but neither he nor his party was hit.


In the early hours of the following morning a body of police and 4 Galway military men in motor cars went on a reconnaissance, and engaged a force of insurgents at Carnmore, where Constable Whelan lost his life. A body of insurgents who tried to advance on the city from the north were dispersed by 18 shots from a six pounder on a gunboat in the Bay.
On the following day troops and marines arrived by steamer, and large forces of police arrived from Connemara. Further reinforcements of military arrived on Friday, when it became definitely known that the insurgents, to the number of 1,400 had evacuated Athenry and encamped at Moyode Castle, some miles away. When the news of the Dublin surrenders arrived the insurgents began to disperse. The authorities have been rounding up the insurgents, and about 350 were taken into custody. All the prisoners were conveyed on board a light cruiser. The Co. Council, the Urban Council, and the Galway Guardians have condemned the rising, and the Urban Council has asked for mercy for the prisoners.
A special correspondent for the “Daily Chronicle,” writing from Athenry, said the police knew that a man named “Captain” Mellows, who had been deported from Ireland a month before, but had made his escape from England, had entered the country disguised as a priest. They were not surprised to learn that one of the activities at the municipal centre was the manufacture of bombs. About 500 insurgents responded to the call of the “Captain.”
Some 300 were armed with rifles, 150 with shotguns, and the remainder with farming implements. Their numbers increased to about 1,000. At the Board of Agriculture Model Farm the 25 students and staff were overpowered. The insurgents broke into the clerks’ office, took all the money they could find, and settled down comfortably for the night in the house and out buildings which are fairly extensive, as the establishment covers some 600 acres. They did no damage, but commandeered everything they could lay hands on.


Two of the insurgents were wounded in an encounter with the police the next day. Soon the rebels were again on the march, but this time they had with them a train of farm carts filled with food – butter, cheese, meat, and so on – with cattle and sheep following behind, in addition to three motor cars. They moved off in good military order along the road to Loughrea, and at 4 o’clock were approaching Moyode Castle – a lonely mansion owned by Lady Ardilaun which has been untenanted, except by a caretaker, for the past 80 years.
It was to this strange spot that the rebel army of Co. Galway marched to demand admittance and shelter. The found the caretaker, John Shackleton, his wife, and his daughter Maisie (a pretty 18 year old girl) the only people in possession, so they merely stated their intentions and walked in. Then they sent out armed scouts to give warning of approaching danger and made their arrangements for what looked like a long stay.
“The colleens did most of the cooking and were very polite and civil,” Maisie Shackleton told me. “There was no drinking at all among the men. They always spoke to Mr Mellows as ‘Captain,’ and he gave them a great talking to when one of their rifles went off accidentally in the drawing-room.”


One of the foremost figures in the command, this correspondent adds, was a priest who appeared to exercise as much control over them as the Captain. He heard the men’s confessions, and it was he who asked Mrs Shackleton to allow the 15 or 20 women the insurgents had with them to sleep in the caretaker’s quarters. Five policemen were held as prisoners.
On Thursday afternoon there was a bellicose interlude. An exchange of shots between the rebels and the police seems to have resulted in some advantage to the former, which, considering their strength, is not surprising. A number of the police had narrow escapes, not only from injury, but also from capture, and finally the rebels chased the forces of the Crown all the way from Athenry (a distance of about four miles,) with the help of their three motor cars. The six police engaged were mounted on bicycles, and had about three hundred yards start. They rode for their lives, the rebels gaining on them at every yard, and only just succeeded in reaching safety at the Athenry police barracks.


Friday evening saw a change in the situation, brought about by the news that troops and R. I. C. men had arrived in Loughrea, six miles away, with artillery, and were advancing on the castle. The commando immediately began to evacuate its stronghold, marching off, still in good order, towards Lime Park. But it soon became evident that they army was discouraged. Lime Park was reached only by a remnant of the original force. Even the rebel remnant, however, began to melt away almost as soon as it arrived. Some stole off to their homes, throwing away their arms at the first convenient opportunity. Some took to the hills, finding it impossible to penetrate the wide crescent of soldiers and police that was slowly moving towards them. In a couple of days over 200 of the men were taken as they attempted to slip back unobserved to their former haunts.
Mellows and some of his lieutenants and more desperate adherents took to the hills, where the search for them is proceeding.


In Dublin and various parts of the country the authorities continue to effect arrests of persons suspected of either direct association or sympathy with the rebellion or Sinn Fein movement.
Amongst those taken into custody in Dublin are Alderman T Kelly, Mr Arthur Griffiths, former editor of “Sinn Fein,” Professor Eoin MacNeill, President Irish Volunteers, and Mr Henry Dixon, of Cabra, a Dublin clerk. Many conflicting rumours were afloat as to what happened to the secretary of the organisation, Mr Bulmer Hobson, but nothing reliable is known.
Rev P. Flanagan, C.C, Ringsend, was arrested by the military on Saturday, and detained. During the trouble he was in the country with friends.
On Saturday evening about 200 prisoners from Galway and 10 from Wexford districts were brought to Dublin for trial. Upwards of 130 prisoners, including 30 women and prominent members of the GAA have been taken in Co. Wexford. From Athenry district, 41 prisoners were conveyed to Galway Jail. Further arrests have been made in Ardee and Dunleer, including the men who seized Barmeath Castle. They surrendered unconditionally.


Mr John Sweetman, ex-M P, was arrested at Drumbarragh, Kells, and conveyed to Dublin. In Oldgate Mr M Grace, engineer to the guardians, and Mr C Fox were arrested.
Mr John Corcoran, foreman in the drapery establishment of Mr D J Murtagh, R D C, Kiltimagh, was arrested and remanded locally on a charge of having stated that the Kiltimagh bank would be blown up. He was admitted to bail at first, but was subsequently re-arrested and conveyed to Castlebar. Mr Daniel Kelly, station master at Cashelnagore station, on the Burtonport Railway was arrested on Saturday.
Several arrests have been made in Mayo, and include Messrs Peter O’Rourke, commercial traveller ; Colum O’Geary, Gaelic League Organiser ; J. T. Gordon, hotel proprietor, Claremorris ; P. McCarthy, Customs and Excise Officer, Cong, and John Corcoran, Kiltimagh. The charges against them are of making statements prejudicial to the King’s relations with foreign Powers.
Over 250 persons altogether have been arrested in Dalkey, Kingstown, Blackrock, Foxrock, and adjacent districts. The O’Rahilly’s sister, Miss O’Rahilly, was amongst those arrested in Dublin. In Dundalk 15 arrests were made, and others were made in Drogheda, Dunleer and Ardee.



Some arrests continue to be made in Dublin and district. House to house searches have been made in various areas, and in some cases the police and military have made arrests.
Amongst those who have been detained in Dalkey are John Kavanagh, U D C ; Charles Somers, Austin Smith, B Harte, and – Coleman.
Captain O’Connell, who is said to be an organiser of the Irish Volunteers, was quietly taken into custody in Kilkenny, and on Thursday last Alderman Jas. Nowlan, President of the G. A. A., on arriving off the train from Dublin, was detained. Other detentions included Peter de Loughry, T.C., and later his brother, Laurence de Loughry, Ml Purcell, T. C. ; J Stallard, ex T.C. ; Ml Dwyer, ex T.C. and about 20 others, all of whom were lodged in Kilkenny jail.
About thirty prominent members of the Sinn Fein organisation were taken into custody by a party of military and Constabulary and conveyed in motor cars to Cork.
Mr John Sweetman, of Drumbarragh, Kells, was taken into custody by Head Constable Beatty, and an armed guard of policemen, and was conveyed to Dublin by motor.
In Oldcastle Mr Michael Grace, engineer to the Guardians and Council, and Mr Charles Fox, have been detained. The latter was arrested some months ago subsequent to the escape of some German prisoners, but was discharged.
A number of Irish Volunteers in Kinsale district have been placed under detention and taken to Cork by a strong military escort. Arms, ammunition, flags and documents were seized from the prisoners.
On Friday last County Inspector Tweedy, Bandon, and District Inspector Rowan, Clonakilty, accompanied by a body of Connaught Rangers, in command of a military officer, proceeded in ten motor cars to the townlands of Lyre, Bealad, Knuckshagh and Cahilesky, and took into custody eight members of the Sinn Fein movement in that district. Arms, ammunition, bandoliers, uniforms, and a few croppy pikes were seized.
During Easter week the authorities in the town of Clonmel took precautions against trouble, but nothing of an untoward character occurred. The following detentions have been made : - John Morrissey (married), carpenter ; Thomas Halpin, clerk ; Philip Cunningham, draper’s assistant ; Dominick Mackey, cycle mechanic ; Frank Drohan, coachbuilder ; Jas Ryan, coachbuilder. Mr Seamus O’Neill, teacher of Irish at Rockwell, was also detained by the police.
In Mayo several people have been detained in connection with the rising. Among them are Messrs Peter O’Rourke, commercial traveller ; Colum O’Grady, Gaelic League organiser, Cong ; Philip Muloren, D.C., do, Ballyhaunis ; J T Gordon, hotel proprietor, Claremorris ; P McCarthy, Customs and Excise Officer, Cong ; John Corcoran, shop assistant, Kiltimagh ; the charges against them being of making statements prejudicial to his Majesty’s relations with foreign Powers and “suspicion.”


Speaking at the meeting of the Limerick Co. Council on Saturday, the chairman, Mr W R Gubbins, presiding.
Mr Ml. Quinlan proposed a resolution renewing their confidence in the Irish Party, as led by Mr Redmond, and earnestly appealing to the Government to deal leniently with the misguided men who took part in the rebellion. They were all grieved he said, to see the capital of the country in ruins, and when the melancholy proceedings which had brought the destruction of life and property were sifted, the result would transfer from the shores of Ireland the responsibility for the anguish that had been caused.
Mr John Fitzgibbon seconded.
Mr Mackey proposed an amendment urging that it would be well to be silent on the question for the present, as the facts of the revolt were little known, and suggesting that the example of South Africa might be followed in Ireland. He did not think there was any necessity for renewing confidence in Mr Redmond. They had already done that at the last meeting.
After some discussion the original resolution was passed, with an addendum asking for leniency for the insurgents.
The Chairman thoroughly agreed with Mr Quinlan. The whole proceedings that led to the disturbance were regrettable, and the least said about them the better.
The Mayor of Limerick, Mr S B Quin, in a letter to the Press, heartily thanks his fellow-citizens for their praiseworthy demeanour during the trouble. He thanks the Irish Volunteers for their action, taken on his advice, by which the peace of the city was assured from the start, and he also thanks the Commanding Officer, Sir A Weldon, D. S. O., and the officers of the Leinster Regiment for their great kindness and courtesy to him. The officers and men of the Constabulary share in his expressions of thanks.


Much regret is felt in Limerick at the tragic fate in Dublin of Mr Wm Moore, Limerick District Auditor, G. S. and W. R. On Holy Thursday he and his wife and little son travelled to Belfast on a brief holiday, and returning to Dublin on Easter Monday, there were “held up” while visiting friends at 4 Annesley Bridge Road, Fairview. Passing upstairs on Thursday morning, a bullet fired by it is said one of the soldiers from the railway embankment, passing through the glass door panel, shot him fatally through the back. About thirty bullets struck this and the next house, where two of the residents were struck by fragments of broken glass. Mr Moore was a county Cavan man, and was connected with the G. S. and W. Railway for about 20 years.

The London correspondent of the “Freeman” says –
Amongst those arrested in connection with the recent events in Dublin is a gentleman who was formerly an American Minister to one of the Central American Republics. He is a native of Ireland, but lived a long while in the United States, where he became an American citizen. He returned to Ireland early last year and was in business in Dublin until his arrest last week. He has been brought in custody to London, the Government having apparently decided to make it a special case, presumably because of his American citizenship. The precise nature of the charge against him is not known.



“Lloyd’s News” special correspondent, writing from Dublin on Friday, says –
One of the most poignant of the many tragedies which stand out from the grim and sordid drama which in the past ten days has been enacted in Ireland is revealed by the following announcement in the “Birth, Marriages, and Death” column of this morning’s “Irish Times” –
Plunkett and Gifford --- May 3, 1916, at Dublin, Joseph Plunkett to Grace Gifford.
Behind that simple announcement lies the story of a well-known and honoured Dublin family brought to sorrow and tribulation by the crime of the Sinn Fein, and of two refined and artistic girls, daughters of the family and well known in Dublin society, who lives have been wrecked by the insane folly of two men. And behind all looms the strange mysterious figure of Countess Markievicz, who has played so prominent a part in the late tragic events, and has flitted through all the dark pages of Irish discontent and treason of recent years.
The Joseph Plunkett whose name figures in this pathetic marriage notice is the rebel leader, one of the seven signatories to the proclamation to the “Republic,” who was shot yesterday morning. His bride was Miss Grace Gifford, daughter of Mr Frederick Gifford, a prominent Dublin solicitor, who lives at Palmerston Park.
In the gloomy precincts of the Richmond Barracks, where the rebel leaders have been imprisoned, the marriage ceremony was performed by the chaplin at midnight on Wednesday. Few scenes in this great futile tragedy can have so wrung the hearts of those who witnessed it as did this hurried joining together, in the silent watches of the night, of two young lives so soon to be severed by the inexorable decrees of human justice. For a few all-too-brief hours husband and wife were left together before the last farewell. An hour later, with the dawn of a perfect spring morning breaking in a cloudless sky, the bridegroom stood facing a firing party in the barracks courtyard. A curt order, the crash of a volley, and the curtain was wrung down on the tragedy of two lives.
The horror of the story is enhanced by the fact that Thomas McDonagh, another of the rebel leaders, who was shot on Wednesday, was the husband of Miss Gifford’s sister, Muriel. Within 24 hours both sisters have been widowed.
One sad chapter in the story was related to me this morning by Mr Stoker, a well-known jeweller in Grafton street. On Wednesday evening, he said, just as he was about to close his premises, a young and attractive lady, evidently of good social position, entered the shop, and asked to be shown some wedding rings. What attracted the jeweller’s attention, however, was the fact that, despite her veil, it could plainly be seen that the lady’s eyes were read [sic] with weeping, while as she spoke she with difficulty stifled convulsive sobs.
Surprised at her evident distress, Mr. Stoker gently inquired if she were in trouble. “You should not cry when you are going to be married,” he observed. For a moment his visitor hesitated, with the tears running down her cheeks. Then she revealed the whole tragedy, saying she was Mr Plunkett’s fiancée, and that he was to be shot the next morning, and that she was to be married to him that night.
“For the moment I was thunderstruck,” said Mr Stoker, “and didn’t know what to say or do. Somehow or other I managed to express my sympathy with her in her terrible position, and she thanked me very quietly. Then she selected the most expensive of the rings, paid for it in notes, and left the shop.”
Further light was cast upon the tragedy by Miss Gifford’s mother, whom I saw this morning at her home at Palmerston Park. Her father has been confined to bed for some time as a result of a stroke. Mrs. Gifford was naturally very upset at the disaster in which her daughters’ lives have become involved.
“I did not know of my daughter’s marriage to Mr Plunkett until yesterday,” she told me. “I did not even know definitely that they had been engaged, although I had heard it stated. I did not ask Grace, and she did not tell me, because she knew I disapproved of the whole thing. I had put it to her that she would be doing a very foolish thing since the man’s actions and associations had all along put him in a peculiarly delicate position, but she apparently did not think so.”
“That Countess Markievicz,” continued Mrs Gifford, “has been responsible all along for dragging them into it. They got to know her several years ago, and have largely been under her influence. We knew nothing of what was going on however, and no one was more surprised than we were when the revolt broke out. I first heard of her marriage yesterday from Grace herself. I went to see her sister, Mrs McDonagh, and while I was there she came into the room. She walked right across to me and held out her left hand, on the third finger of which was a wedding ring. I did not make a remark, but I knew she meant she was married. Then she told us she had been called out of her bed on the Wednesday night, and had been taken to Plunkett to marry him.
“Although the announcement was a great surprise and shock to me, I had been prepared for something by an incident which took place the previous night. She left home that day (Wednesday) after lunch, and during the evening sent a telephone message through a neighbour saying she was staying in town for the night. I sat up waiting for my son, and towards midnight there came a knock at the door, which I thought was him. The maid had gone to bed, and I opened the door myself, but instead of my son I found a policeman, while on the road outside was a big motor car with two English officers.
One of the officers got out of the car and told me he had an important letter for Mrs Plunkett. Thinking they meant Plunkett’s mother, the countess, I said she did not live here. He went and consulted the other officer, and then came back and asked for Miss Grace Gifford. I told him she was not at home, and that she was staying in town.
“When I saw Grace next day she told me that the letter was to tell her to go to the prison, where they would be married. She said they were married at midnight, and that he was shot shortly afterwards.”
That was all the mother knew. She had not seen nor heard from her daughter since, and did not know where she was staying. Mrs Gifford stated that her other daughter, Muriel, married McDonagh four years ago. They had two children, a boy aged three and a girl aged eighteen months. McDonagh was a professor in the University College at Dublin, and had also done considerable journalistic work and written several books.
Miss Gifford, who was twenty-eight years of age, contributed pen and ink caricatures frequently to the “Irish Review.” She is undoubtedly gifted with considerable talent, although her work shows a tendency to the exaggerations of the Futuristic style. For some time she studied at the Slade School of Art in London. Fair, of medium height and build, with typically Irish eyes, she is described by all who knew her as a peculiarly handsome and attractive girl. For some time she has talked, her mother told me, of going to America to work. Two of her sisters and two brothers are already there. Another brother came over in the Canadian contingent, and is at present in England.



Speaking at the anniversary banquet of the London Foreman Engineers’ Association, Mr T P O’Connor, M.P., who proposed “The Allied Forces,” referred to the disturbances in Ireland. He remarked that no words spoken during the crisis were more true that of Mr Birrell, who said that this had not been an Irish rebellion (hear hear). The overwhelming majority of the people of Ireland had condemned, reprobated and sorrowed over what had taken place. They had a slight percentage of lunatics (laughter.) They could not expect any community – not even the House of Commons – to be without its lunatics (laughter). But they made short work of them, and 150,000 Irishmen had gone from England, Scotland and Wales to fight by the side of the other subjects and citizens of the Empire (hear hear). He was sure he was reflecting the opinion of the English people when he said that he hoped the era of punishment and execution was coming to an end and that an era of clemency was beginning. “I pray and implore you, now that you have 95 per cent of the Irish people on your side, to do nothing which would produce a reaction, but having got their friendship, to retain it” (cheers.)



Numerous parties of military, accompanied by police, began a search for arms throughout the city on Monday morning. They visited the houses of many persons suspected of connection with the Sinn Fein movement and made a thorough overhaul of the premises. Several shops were also examined, but up to mid-day, with perhaps one or two exceptions, no effective military weapons were gathered in. A number of shotguns and some corresponding ammunition were, however, taken possession of, together with some old implements, which looked like imitation pikes or lances.


Very Rev. F. J. Watters, who was shot while standing in front of his door at the Marist College in Leeson street, has since died of his wounds. He was 66 years of age.




The work of burying the dead during the outbreak was a very serious one, and the daily round of duty brought the officials into contact with many distressing incidents.
One of the most gruesome scenes which the search for the dead revealed was the discovery in Clanwilliam place (off Mount street) a body so badly charred that any chance of identification of the features was impossible. It has been lying there for some time unnoticed, and the only thing which could serve to trace recognition of the unfortunate victim was a cheque which was discovered in one of the pockets of the half-burned clothing. It was so thickly bedaubed with blood that the signature is not certain, but it is hoped that the Bank will be able to trace the issue, and that the name of the deceased will in this way be established.
Owing to the condition of several of the bodies picked up in the fighting areas it was found necessary to proceed with the interments as quickly as possible. Everything possible, however, was done which could help to the identification of the deceased, but, nevertheless, many bodies were interred without having being identified, or at any rate without notice being given to the authorities. For several days it was not possible to provide coffins for the burials, and about fifty bodies were consigned to their resting place in Glasnevin coffinless.
As far as can be ascertained the number of bodies disinterred in various parts of the city number about ten, but there may be others which have not yet come to light. Four of these have taken place in North King street, where on Saturday last the remains of four civilians were taken from temporary graves in the yard of the house No. 27, and reinterred at Glasnevin. The circumstances under which they came to be buried in the back yard are not definitely ascertained, but it is surmised that they took shelter in the house, and got shot during the progress of the very hot fight in this neighbourhood on Thursday and Friday, and Saturday night of Easter week. It was perhaps owing to the difficulties of giving them sepulchre in consecrated ground that the temporary burial took place, but at any rate the whole occurrence is surrounded with a good deal of mystery. It is also stated that a good deal of bodies dressed in uniform have been disinterred from the yard of another house in the same street at No. 169.
A certain number of civilian dead have been buried in Deane’s Grange.


Up to the 5th May 197 bodies have been interred in Glasnevin Cemetery, the deaths in all cases resulting from gunshot wounds. Since Friday five more have been added to the list.



Appended is an official communication received from headquarters on Tuesday morning – The following results of field general courtmartial are announced – Thomas Kent, of Coole, near Fermoy, was sentenced to death and the sentence duly confirmed by the general Officer Commanding-in-Chief in Ireland. The sentence was carried out yesterday morning.
Wm. Kent of Coole, near Fermoy, was acquitted.



Mr Asquith in the House of Commons, stated the total casualties sustained by the troops, Navy, Police, and loyal Volunteers in Dublin were – Killed, 124; wounded, 388.


Dublin, Tuesday.
On inquiry at the Headquarters Staff Office here this afternoon, it was ascertained that no sentences had been promulgated and that no official statement would be issued. It is expected that a statement would be made to-morrow.


Much public interest attaches to the trial of Sir Roger Casement. It remains with the Government to say whether the case will be heard in camera or whether the evidence will be made known to the public. His case, as the “Law Journal” points out, is not on all fours with that of the men who have been dealt with in Dublin. He is not charged with treason on Irish soil, so that the Irish King’s Bench has no jurisdiction over his case. Besides his arrest was not effected at a time when Martial Law was in force in this country. Since the crime of which he is accused is presumably that of assisting the King’s enemies in Germany and on the high seas – i.e., in places outside the jurisdiction of any local courts, Irish or English – the English High Court can try him by virtue of its general power to try high crimes and misdemeanours committed abroad, wherever as in the case of treason, there is jurisdiction to try these crimes at all. A trial at Bar will be necessary, since the Central Criminal Court in London is a purely local English Court, and apart from statute, has no foreign jurisdiction. No definite statement has been made as to the name of the counsel retained to defend Sir Roger Casement. Sir Edward Carson, who was stated last week to have been asked to undertake the defence of Sir Roger, has now wired to the press denying all knowledge of the matter.


The “Daily Chronicle” correspondent says – John Devoy, an irreconcilable and editor of the “Gaelic American,” was included in an indictment charging him with conspiracy with von Papen, von Igel, Tauscher, and others, to send a military expedition to Canada. It is alleged that Devoy introduced von der Goltz to a certain Ryan at Buffalo, the financial agent for von Papen.

The 1916 Rising in the Clare Newspapers