Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Search this Website | Copyright Notice

Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1845

 

Ballyvaughan

A Description in 1845

A fishing village in the parish of Dromcreehy, barony of Burren, co. Clare, Munster. It stands at the head of Ballyvaughan bay, a creek of Black Head bay; and is 4 miles east-south-east of Black Head promontory, and 5 west by south of New Quay. Its site is the property of Major MacNamara, M.P. A quay was erected by the villagers, but fell into a state of extreme disrepair. In 1829, a local subscription was offered, and some measures were adopted by the Fishery Board, for the erection of a suitable quay. The dispensary of Ballyvaughan and New Quay is within the Ennistymon Poor-law union, and serves for a district of 58,427 acres, with 17,395 inhabitants; and, in 1839-40, it received 166, expended 105 17s. 2d., and administered to 1,460 patients. Area of the village, 11 acres. Pop., in 1831, 151; in 1841, 235. Houses 35.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland, 1845
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Ballyvaughan - Historical Background

 


Ballykett

Home


Barntick