Clare County Library
Clare Places and Placenames
Home | Search Library Catalogue | Foto | Maps | Archaeology | Folklore | Genealogy | History | Museum | Search this Website | Copyright Notice | What's New

County Clare: A History and Topography 1837 by Samuel Lewis

 
Canon Island, or Innisnegananagh

An island, in the parish of Kildysart, barony of Clonderlaw, county of Clare, and province of Munster, about 11/2 mile (E.) from Kildysart : the population is returned with the parish. It is situated at the confluence of the Shannon and Fergus, about 3/4 of a mile from the shore, and contains 207 acres of excellent land, partly under tillage, the sea-weed collected on its shores being used as manure. It was anciently called Elanagranoch ; and here Donald O’Brien, king of Limerick, in the 12th century, founded or rebuilt a priory for Canons Regular of the order of St. Augustine. A moiety of the priory, with the various lands, tithes, profits, and demesne lands thereof, was granted in fee, in 1605, to Donogh, Earl of Thomond, and was afterwards granted in fee, or confirmed, to his successor, Henry, in 1661. The ruins, which are situated at the north-eastern extremity of the island, consist of a square tower and a considerable portion of the body of the building, which is said to have covered a quarter of an acre.

County Clare A History and Topography by Samuel Lewis
Courtesy of Clare Local Studies Project

<< Canon Island

 


Callaghan's-Mills

Home


Carrigaholt